Back fishing after a long break.

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

It's been a while since I had anything to post with lockdowns and changes at work.

I had the opportunity , so I ventured out today  to check out the harbour and a few inshore reefs.

I was surprised how many boats were out on a weekday. There were six boats were on the artificial reef and another 6 boats on a couple of k's out from Diamond Day.

There were also a few in much closer trolling or down rigging for Kings I suspect.

I tried drifting for flathead from Diamond bay, but there was very little wind or run in the tide. I wasn't covering much ground and the place was alive with small spikey flathead. I drifted in 30 meters, then 40 meters and finally 50 meters. By the time I had finished all the slow drifts all the boats had dispersed - I guess they weren't doing well either.

I moved across to the reef off North Head ( some people call it the Colours but there is also a Colours off South Head so I don't actually know which is the one, although they are both structure.)  Some squid strips went down on the standard 2 hook paternoster rig and I immediately  got hit by a Mowie. He looked like this.

Mowie.thumb.jpg.241c43867537e6e2a17c902746bdb441.jpg

I don't normally keep mowies but my  neighbour  fries them whole with Thai spices so I kept one for him.

I was excited about the catch because I have found that Snapper and Mowies are often caught together but unfortunately the next two catches were similar sized Mowies.

The bite went off so I returned to the start of the drift   and sent the Paternoster Rig down again. Almost immediately I get a hit from what I picked as Flathead and this came up from the 35 metre mark      

Tiger.thumb.jpg.5f2b07176ce864bba2900afc2d526a25.jpg

I kept this one for feed, but I released two more that were a little smaller. 

The bite went off again, and I lost quite a few snapper leads working this ground so I decided to move inside the harbour and check a few of my normal spots.

I was surprised that on the way out and back and even in the harbour I saw no sign of any birds or any surface action.

I checked some of the main markers and there were no sign of Kings, so I anchored up at Sow & Pigs reef with half a dozen other boats.

The tide was on its way out so I set up a burley trail heading back towards the reef. Unfortunately the sweep were in plague proportions and I just caught them one after other.

I cast well away from the burley trail and came up with a few bream that look like this.

bream.thumb.jpg.8dfb58889df072dffbc1079471f23c07.jpg

They all went back too.

I decided before I went that I would just keep enough for a feed on the day, give a fish to my neighbour and return the rest.

I just wanted to get out there after more than 12 months of being out of action.

I have to say though, I am out of practice... the whole prep the boat, get up early, fish for hours, back to the ramp and clean up at home is bloody exhausting!

And, to show I'm even more out of practice, I reckon I got "Flathead Spiked" half a dozen times!

Cheers

Jim

P.S You would think I could get 1 of the Fish Shots the right way around!(lol)  Fixed for you Jim :) 

Edited by fragmeister
Reorientated pics
  • Like 10

Jim. Good to see you back on the water again, sounds like you had an adventurous day with a few variants.

Some good fish thrown in the mix and I would call it for being a successful day .

I actually don't mine the odd Mowie probably my main catch down Bermi way, and they put up a half decent fight.

Frank

Hi Jim, great to see you back on Fishraider. I was actually thinking about you the other day...more specifically what you were up to and whether you were alright. Fishing reports have definitely been scarcer since Covid became the main impact on our lives. I am waiting for the Kingies to turn up and will risk a visit to Sydney to try catch one. Meantime, I'll look forward to reading reports. Welcome back Jim and hope you soon get back in the groove. bn

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Jim, great to see you back on Fishraider. I was actually thinking about you the other day...more specifically what you were up to and whether you were alright. Fishing reports have definitely been scarcer since Covid became the main impact on our lives. I am waiting for the Kingies to turn up and will risk a visit to Sydney to try catch one. Meantime, I'll look forward to reading reports. Welcome back Jim and hope you soon get back in the groove. bn

Thanks Neil,

All work and no play was the main issue. It was a big year of COVID and adapting at work and that put everything on hold. (including my planned semi-retirement!)

Cheers

Jim

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great report mate, good to see you getting out for a fish. Well done, certainly not a bad day out.

Thanks Isaac,

It was a great day out.

I see that you hail from the Shire.  I grew up there (50 years ago) and fished as kid from all the local wharfs and  sandflats.

Great fishing memories from those days.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

16 hours ago, frankS said:

Jim. Good to see you back on the water again, sounds like you had an adventurous day with a few variants.

Some good fish thrown in the mix and I would call it for being a successful day .

I actually don't mine the odd Mowie probably my main catch down Bermi way, and they put up a half decent fight.

Frank

Hey Frank,

I have to agree about the Mowie's fight, they are no slouch  in that department.

Cheers

Jim

19 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

Hey Frank,

I have to agree about the Mowie's fight, they are no slouch  in that department.

Cheers

Jim

2 good things about mowies. They do fight hard, and, even better when throwing them back, telling them politely to not come back to my line. 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good to see you back on the water, with a few fish caught as well. There are a lot of spikies outside, mostly full of roe so they must be breeding like rabbits.

Thanks Yowie,

Have you seen any Blue Spots around?

Also, I found a post of yours from 2017 where you talk about a mild poison in the dorsal fin and how generally difficult they are to handle. I have to agree with that!

I did  not know that there was no legal size on them. Most of the ones I caught would have made two great baits!

Cheers

Jim

56 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

Thanks Yowie,

Have you seen any Blue Spots around?

Also, I found a post of yours from 2017 where you talk about a mild poison in the dorsal fin and how generally difficult they are to handle. I have to agree with that!

I did  not know that there was no legal size on them. Most of the ones I caught would have made two great baits!

Cheers

Jim

I have not tried much for blue spots lately, though the last few times they were sitting in 40 metres or more, where the spikies were less prevalent. 

The head spikes hurt, and the dorsal spikes sting after spiking. The little buggers swing their heads about, so a cloth is a good way to grab them and unhook. Juggling live hand grenades were be easier. 🤣

No legal size on the spikies, the biggest I have caught is 32cm, and they do not grow much bigger. If you are desperate, the biggest ones can be eaten, which I have done. Just cut off the fillets and remove bones, then pan fry.

Dave.

Good venturing Jim.I did the same Tuesday drifting in similar waters maybe a little deeper.Wonderful after 7 months off ,but rained on and lost sight of land in tinny.Caught a few reddies to 50 cm where you would expect bluespots.they liked squid after the big seas.Only one flattie.Also very weary after,we need more outings!Cheers .

• Like 1

Nice work Jim, good to read your report. I know the reef as “The Hump” and it does produce some good fish, but have given it a miss since back on the water after Covid as have found it very “on one day and off the next”. 
keep those reports coming mate - an time spent on the water enjoying God’s great outdoors is an investment.