Whiting a bit quiet

jenno64

Hit the Hacking for an after work session yesterday and the Nor' easter was pretty fresh. Pumped some nippers then waited for the water to come up onto the flats. I was plagued by toads or something picking at the baits and then a few rays got in the way. Finally has a few whiting turn up but no real size about them....maybe all out on the beaches now?

tings.jpg

• Like 12

That's what I found recently, the size has dropped off, which happens around late spring.

Regardless, you have enough for a feed, and that's what counts. They can take a little while before they swim around you.

Quite a few years ago I used to fish Gunnamatta Bay in November and the stonkers were on but once December hit they went quiet. After reading the northern beaches post maybe they spawn in the lower reaches and head out to the surf for a change of diet...beach worms and pippies. Interested on the views of members:)

I fished the mainbar flats beginning of the run in tide last Monday. There were hundreds and hundreds of whiting came up onto ankle deep water including a lot of bigger fish. Unfortunately it was a spawning aggregation and they were swimming around in circles chasing each other and not feeding. Caught about a dozen none worth keeping then I moved on after about 90 min. 

Bruce

Nice bag of fish Jenno. At least you got a nice feed !

Im not an expert on whiting fishing by any means but i find that bait makes the biggest difference. Over the years ive fished side by side with people who used nippers, prawns etc and always without a doubt worms outperformed every other bait both in terms of quality and quantity of fish.

I also find that the larger fish are on the beaches as opposed to the estuaries. Im sure the larger fish do come into the estuaries occasionally 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice bag of fish Jenno. At least you got a nice feed !

Im not an expert on whiting fishing by any means but i find that bait makes the biggest difference. Over the years ive fished side by side with people who used nippers, prawns etc and always without a doubt worms outperformed every other bait both in terms of quality and quantity of fish.

I also find that the larger fish are on the beaches as opposed to the estuaries. Im sure the larger fish do come into the estuaries occasionally 

I'm going to test that theory out tomorrow by braving the southerly and trying some worms off the beach:)

6 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

During late winter/early spring, I was pulling out the occasional larger ones inside the Hacking, 40 to 43cm, and quite a few in the mid 30's.

During late spring, the larger ones are harder to find in the Hacking, as I suspect they are on the beaches. An odd one also heads way up river.

7 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

I fished the mainbar flats beginning of the run in tide last Monday. There were hundreds and hundreds of whiting came up onto ankle deep water including a lot of bigger fish. Unfortunately it was a spawning aggregation and they were swimming around in circles chasing each other and not feeding. Caught about a dozen none worth keeping then I moved on after about 90 min. 

Bruce

At least you were out on the water, Bruce. Good to see.

Well done 👍. good bag of whiting there.

I used to fish the gutters in the summer Wanda up to green hills - would pull out really good sized whiting - have to go early morning as the bite drops by 9-10 in the morning. I always used nippers. Make sure your using a decent sized star sinker.

2 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Well done 👍. good bag of whiting there.

I used to fish the gutters in the summer Wanda up to green hills - would pull out really good sized whiting - have to go early morning as the bite drops by 9-10 in the morning. I always used nippers. Make sure your using a decent sized star sinker.

I'm going to hit the beach on the arvo when the tide is dead low and sus out some gutters, hoping the swell and weed don't spoil the day! Worms will be bait as I won't be able to pump nippers tomorrow...fingers crossed, it's time the Alvey saw daylight:)