Sussex Inlet/St Georges Basin 4 week holiday.

Isaac Ct

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Great report young man!"

Isaac Ct was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Every holidays we go down to the beautiful town of Sussex Inlet on the NSW south coast. My family loves coming down as it is very peaceful the week before chrissy and the weeks after New Year's. I haven't been able to post anything because of the service so I have 4 weeks of fishing action!! I will put dates with the trips and photos so you know which photos go with each trip. 

20/12/21: Sussex Inlet drift fishing.

First fish of the trip and we decided to keep things basic. Took some prawns out and drifted the last stretch of Sussex Inlet as it can produce some nice flathead, trevally, bream, flounder and blackfish. First drift I managed a solid tarwhine on a prawn, measured at 35cm and was released. That same drift I landed a 29cm blackfish, promptly released. Headed down towards the 'boat shed' at the bend of the inlet as it has broken ground of gravel, sand and weed and often provides good fish. Double hook up on nice trevs and as we were drifting we ended up beach on the weeds on the side of the channel after we landed them. Measured 40 and 43. We decided not to keep anything as we had bigger plans in store for the following outings.. 

IMG_h.thumb.jpg.93524ffa21de4b4861c7be5900e23d6f.jpgIMG_.thumb.jpg.ad21809a2ead59af88a40ce2cf057696.jpg

22/12/21: The 'Basin' with live poddies.

Drifting live poddies along the southern stretch of the basin is probably one of the most productive ways to catch flatties. We usually drift from 3-5m depending on the direction of the drift and the wind but ideally you want to be running parallel with the shore. I didn't take long for me to land a small flattie, but it was legal so we kept it. Cracked a PB 56cm flattie (previous was 48cm so not real impressive) and managed in total 5 flatties for a meal which we were pretty happy with. 

IMG_0238.thumb.jpg.55eebcf994f5b57788f36fe911fd12b5.jpg

23/12/21: A day to remember.

After eating a meal of flatties the previous night we were eager to get some for chrissy day so we headed out early with some poddies and went to the same spot as we've been catching a few. One by one we started to land a few and a decent feed was coming together and we ended up bagging 9 nice eating size duskies. We were about to leave and my dad's friends rod buckles over and has a dead weight. After a nervous fight we get a look a veryyy decent flattie. In the net and into the boat and we were ecstatic. Measured in at 83cm and was his PB. 

645929002_IMG_2.thumb.jpg.7bab387796f4c6792337a108baa296a2.jpg575872969_IMG_3.thumb.jpg.c15c6a654d16b114df3522a2eb5278d8.jpg

28/12/21: More flatties 😀

A friend offered to take me out so we gathered some poddies and headed out early for another session. Things were quiet at first but then I hooked onto a pretty decent flattie, measured in at 78cm and the second time I cracked my flattie PB these holidays. Ended up with a couple of nice table fish as well which was a bonus.

IMG_025.thumb.jpg.ab557602058d1b4c3eea3f9fc908ccef.jpgIMG_026.thumb.jpg.e1583987b70ba0a68c1fbfe2b9653bd6.jpg

4/01/21: Crazy day.

Took another friend out and without poddies we decided to anchor at the 'goalposts' as you come out of the entrance to the Basin from Sussex Inlet. A couple of small tarwhine to start but we slowly started to get some better fish with my friend landing a nice bream and I landed a 45 and a 42cm flattie. My mate hooked onto yet another big flattie for the holidays and it was his PB also measuring at 78cm!! I also got a 69cm flattie whilst reeling in a tarwhine (it grabbed it on the wind) and a stonking 60cm trev (another PB!?!). 

IMG_02670.thumb.jpg.0f96b6c018643af91a1d21ed7a91454b.jpg

8/01/21: Berrara creek trolling with vibes. 

Just for some fun and to set the crab pot we trolled some Zx40's up Berrara creek to see if we could entice some fish. After about 3 minutes of trolling I lost a solid flattie at the boat, spewin. Up near the end amongst the snags my mate landed a cracker bream on the troll, measuring at 40cm and 2 small whiting. On the way back on the flats I landed a 53cm flattie on the Zx40 which I was very happy with.

1016399201_IMG_32.thumb.jpg.3bccd017026af72b08dae3fda47295d6.jpg245834403_IMG_33.thumb.jpg.9b1f8a66b6d39df3368b868b929a45a4.jpg

I left out a couple of trips and the part when we had our crab trap stolen from the inlet but other than that it was a really awesome holiday. Special thank to @Green Hornet for some tips of where the flatties are at this time of year in the basin.

Cheers, Isaac.

• Like 10

That's a fantastic report and very well written, with great shots.

Glad you had a good trip and the season has just started for you with a couple of upgrades to your PB's.

Looking forward to more of your reports.

Frank

27 minutes ago, Scooter0069 said:

Great report and some great fish and by the sound of it a great holiday 

Thanks mate

25 minutes ago, frankS said:

That's a fantastic report and very well written, with great shots.

Glad you had a good trip and the season has just started for you with a couple of upgrades to your PB's.

Looking forward to more of your reports.

Frank

Cheers, went in the hacking today and will post a report tomorrow hopefully.

Some stonker flatties and amazing catches there @Isaac Ct . I'm just jealous that you are away for a holiday, let alone that the fishing is going off for you!

Them poddies...maybe I should be fishing more with more mullet imitations, and actual poddies (whenever I have the time). I think you and @jenno64 might well convince me.

Enjoy the rest of your break. Everybody needs it, after the year we have all had. I'm sure you're making it easy for your parents and looking after yourself on the water all day! I'd be happy if my kids can one day learn to look after themselves on the water like you do. And bring home dinner! :D 

That's a great and well written report Isaac along with some terrific pics.

With all those PB's you've obviously had a fun couple of weeks and I bet you can't wait to get back down here.

The Sussex Inlet/St Georges Basin system has become such a great fishery since the pros were booted all those years ago.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:32 PM, Larkin said:

What a haul!!!

well done on the PB’s 

60cm Trev and 78cm flatty…well done mate 

Thanks mate

On 1/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Some stonker flatties and amazing catches there @Isaac Ct . I'm just jealous that you are away for a holiday, let alone that the fishing is going off for you!

Them poddies...maybe I should be fishing more with more mullet imitations, and actual poddies (whenever I have the time). I think you and @jenno64 might well convince me.

Enjoy the rest of your break. Everybody needs it, after the year we have all had. I'm sure you're making it easy for your parents and looking after yourself on the water all day! I'd be happy if my kids can one day learn to look after themselves on the water like you do. And bring home dinner! :D 

The girls in my family are very particular about the fish they eat and flattie is one they actually like so it is always a bonus when I get some.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:32 PM, jenno64 said:

Brilliant report Isaac!

Great account of the trip and congrats on the upgraded PBS and the fantastic pics!

Thanks mate.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:45 PM, Yowie said:

Nice work. Plenty of flatties for a feed, and some big ones as well.

Some nice bream and trevs for a bit of variety.

The trev took a live poddy and since I only had a 2000 reel and it was only half spooled I was pretty worried when it took of.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:48 PM, masterfisho7 said:

Great report love the photos those flathead you should have some top eating fish  

Thanks mate.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:44 AM, Green Hornet said:

That's a great and well written report Isaac along with some terrific pics.

With all those PB's you've obviously had a fun couple of weeks and I bet you can't wait to get back down here.

The Sussex Inlet/St Georges Basin system has become such a great fishery since the pros were booted all those years ago.

Haha, I always have a stack of fun when I'm in town.

22 hours ago, Rebel said:

Super report and great holiday.

Looks like the kids are having a ball.

Well done.

Thanks, (I am the kid🤣)

22 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

What an awesome trip and an awesome report. Some really good quality fish in there

Thanks mate

20 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report with lots of info with terrific pics - thanks for sharing.

Great to have a family / Fishing holiday.

Cheers, I don't know what I would be without fishing.

10 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Sounds like you had a good time getting away & sharing with your mates, great photos, report & 👍 on your PB’s 

Cheers mate, always have a great time fishing St Georges Basin and Sussex inlet as well as thesurroundingg beaches and creeks.

51 minutes ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Nice. Wish my young bloke was that keen. A good way to spend the summer.

Cheers mate.

Brilliant report mate. I have only done it a couple of times but I love fishing in the Basin. You always feel like you are in with a chance of a nice lizard. Looks like you got some absolute crackers! Well done.

4 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Brilliant report mate. I have only done it a couple of times but I love fishing in the Basin. You always feel like you are in with a chance of a nice lizard. Looks like you got some absolute crackers! Well done.

Cheers mate, we lost a few big ones as well but we were pretty stoked with the holiday we had.