Plan A and B fail, but plan C works a treat.

Isaac Ct

Launched at Yowie Bay at 7:15 and with low tide being at 6:15 we didn't think we would have heaps of luck with the squid but nevertheless the plan was to try get some squid and turn them into kings. Personally, I have never done this and with only a small tinny we can't go out past maianbar so we tried in the South West Arm with no success and then around lilli pilli with no success, Plan A fail. We had brought  the nipper pump along so we pumped some nippers and slowly drifted them down amongst the moored boats in Lilli Pilli to see if we could pick up a king like that but no interest. Plan B fail.

We then went onto the flats to try for some whiting. Within a minute my dad hooks onto a solid fish and starts swimming with the current, plenty of headshakes and we surprised to see a nice fat flattie in the net. Measured in at 59cm and my dads PB. My dad takes a work call and his rod then goes of!! After a good tussle we are delighted to see a big whiting. We have never had much luck with whiting so a good change of fortune, measuring at 40cm. As I put the first whiting on ice my rod goes of with another nice whiting, measuring at 38cm. I also caught a 28cm and a bigger one that self-released🙄. My dad got a blue swimmer and when the wind picked up we called it a day.

IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.2ef7d08979be1c52d5401fa4293f41a9.JPGIMG_0460.thumb.JPG.ddc4cf0bd66ecfe4c076621d77f5740d.JPG

Cheers, Isaac.

Also forgot to post my first kingie last week which I was very pleased with, caught on an unweighted pilly tail in the middle of some bust-ups😀.

IMG_0417.thumb.JPG.09e364a2f04fdedc09bf436a3dd366a4.JPG

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Well done young fella. It always pays to have a backup plan.

Thanks mate, it definitely paid off to have a backup plan this time.

1 hour ago, Dan1979 said:

Nice mixed bag there! And a great feed. Got to love the fight of a king, no matter how big or small

Dan

Thanks mate, we had no heavy rods so the unweighted half pilly went down on 4lb line with 6lb leader so was a fair bit of fun on light drag.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Well done Isaac, good little fighters and great eating those whitting.

Thanks mate, we filleted them and kept the skin on and dusted them in seasoned flour and they were delicious. Did put up a fair fight in the current as well.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Super report and great photos.

Well done to you and Dad.

Cheers mate.

Edited by Isaac Ct
Spelling

On 1/22/2022 at 5:43 PM, DaveBM said:

Awesome fishing, as we are all saying, yada yada... but the quality of your writing is also top-notch.

Thanks mate, I try not to make it boring.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:00 PM, Yowie said:

Nice feed of fish, good sizes in the whiting and flattie.

As for the kingie, they still fight at that size.

Thanks mate, it fought about the same as a mid 40's trev.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:44 PM, GoingFishing said:

Good on you mate. Top stuff. Love your reports.

Cheers mate.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, Restyle said:

some quality whiting there, a cracker day out aswell. good job on your first king, plenty more too come as they hopefully move into the hacking soon 

Thanks mate, I will have to get some squid before I get to keen on the kings but hopefully will be able to get some. That is if I can find them as I am not allowed to go past mainbar.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, Larkin said:

Some nice fish there!!

well done on your first king - only way is up from there.

Jee, I hope I can get a bigger one. Thanks mate.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, leonardgid said:

good report thank you for sharing

Thanks mate.

22 hours ago, Welster said:

Well done on a great write up of your adventures.  The two whiting are a very good size indeed.

Thanks mate.

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thanks mate, I will have to get some squid before I get to keen on the kings but hopefully will be able to get some. That is if I can find them as I am not allowed to go past mainbar.

most wharfs - yowie, wallys, lillipilli, ferry wharf have squid, try there during the evening preferably on a weekday because of boats

pwc ramp at the end Lugarno st in burreneer dose well and one of my goto spots is the rock area in the little bay area at Lilli pilli point reserve, abit of a bushwalk but can be fished from the boat as theres usually a avalable mooring you can tie up to.

from the boat the moored boats in Dolans bay and the moored boats across from wallys wharf produce, drifting along yowie wharf to about 200-300 meters south of it casting along the shorline dose decent aswell. casting at the baths and the pwc ramp at lillipilli sometimes holds squid 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Restyle said:

most wharfs - yowie, wallys, lillipilli, ferry wharf have squid, try there during the evening preferably on a weekday because of boats

pwc ramp at the end Lugarno st in burreneer dose well and one of my goto spots is the rock area in the little bay area at Lilli pilli point reserve, abit of a bushwalk but can be fished from the boat as theres usually a avalable mooring you can tie up to.

from the boat the moored boats in Dolans bay and the moored boats across from wallys wharf produce, drifting along yowie wharf to about 200-300 meters south of it casting along the shorline dose decent aswell. casting at the baths and the pwc ramp at lillipilli sometimes holds squid 

I have fished Yowie Bay a bit and seen plenty of squid on the surface and hooked 1, what rock area are you referring to at Lilli pilli?