Port Stephens- Land of Options

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

With things hotting up here, it’s hard decision what to target. Well it is for most. But for me with everyone out chasing marlin, that means there’s less pressure on my snapper grounds. 
So me and a mate thought we’d give it shot as we both haven’t done much fishing this year so far. 
First to the ramp as usual and headed to collect bait. They were very finicky that time of the morning and only managed two yakkas before I could hear Broughton calling us. 
Git up there before first light and started casting. My mate hooks up instantly and good snapper into the net. Then he gets another and another. I was still yet to get a bite and was getting pretty frustrated. Reset the drift and cast and cast and cast. Then I feel a slight weight on the line and I strike to set the hook. I could feel weight but no run for the first 5 seconds. Weird!! Then this thing finally realised it was hooked and dumped half my spool in one run! Holy shit. I thought it might be a king and have to chase it on the snapper gear but I managed to stop its run and there’s was those beats I was looking for. A tussle to and throw to the end, in 10m of water and up comes a thumping Port Stephens snapper! Yewwwwwwwww! At least I was finally on the board and my mate couldn’t believe the size of this thing. We take a few photos and reset the drift. 
Next minute, my live bait rod goes off and it’s a brut of a king. We drag it out to the 20m mark and I fight this thing hard. Easily the biggest king I’ve had on and within sight of the boat, Pop goes the hook. We were spewing but sometimes the ocean wins and that’s fine with me. 
Headed back to do another drift only for a few spearos to anchor in our spot and jump in the water. 
So we move on, get our drift sorted put in about 10 casts each and seriously, here comes these spearos again and deadset pulled up in front of us! 🤬🤬🤬

Anyway, that was a sign to move to a different area that no one knows and we begin to cast. Same result as the first area with my mate getting a couple good ones and me no bite! Reset the drift and all hell breaks loose! I’m onto a screamer, mate loaded with a fish and the live rod goes off! Noooooooo! 
My mate quickly winds his pannie in, I’m onto a cracker and he nets that, then I jump onto the live rod that I could barley get out the holder and this thing reefs need a beauty and pop goes the leader. Damn! But the drift resulted in a beauty and the box was now well and truly filled. 
By this stage we were pretty buggered and at 830 decided to call it a day. 
Absolute magic out there doing what I love the most! 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

07A705FD-22D9-4999-BF26-7909A12BB376.thumb.jpeg.7dce38ae4251afb930ffb33500848f74.jpeg

B7A4B032-FD94-4AE4-8953-C527FC49A645.thumb.jpeg.20c922f94d394c7cd60b5328f42d0771.jpeg

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Another cracking fish Scratchie, well done. 

Cheers mate! Hurt a lot this one 😂

1 hour ago, dlvbw said:

Jaysus! Well done. 

Thanks 🙏 

1 hour ago, Mike Sydney said:

What a magnificent snapper, and congrats on sighting such a big king.

Cheers. Yeah getting closer to one of those shallow water hoodlums 

1 hour ago, joshGTV said:

Awesome session. Can't wait to get my boat up there.

Thanks! Great place to explore 

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Cracker red scratchie, such a disappointment on losing a big king but a motivator to get out there and do it again!

Well done.

Cheers mate! You win some and lose some! Today I did both. Better than not finding anything 🤙

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Onya, Scratchie! Called it a day at 8:30! It doesn’t matter how early I get up there, I still haven’t got my $h1t together at 8:30 and have to stay out there til lunchtime! 😂

Hahahahahaha! Oh Baz, that might be the difference between success and not so successful 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice fish mate

did you put the big one on the measuring stick?

88 and fat as weighing about 8.5kg! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Some nice fish there again, another great day on the water.

The first one has a head that only it's mother could love. 🤣

Thanks Yowie! I hope your talking about the fish 😂😂😂

13 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Insane fishJeff!

bad luck on the hoodlum🤷🏻‍♂️

and to think all that was over by 8:30am😜

Cheers Rob! If your not out there early chasing snapper then don’t both. The hoody gave me nightmares last night 🤦‍♂️

13 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Absolute beasts no need for marlin when your able to catch such quality fish. Seems the fishing will only get better, hopefully it's still pumping in April.

Thanks! Marlin are great to target but anyone who does it, knows how mundane it can be too! Every cast your on the game with snapper! 

12 hours ago, corro said:

You're going to need some decent sized trays to bake that one whole!

Hahahahaahha and a big fire too! 

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Doesn't have whiskers that I can see, Jeff, so I suspect he's still out there! Well done all the same!

Just out of curiosity, how do you prepare a fish of that size for the table? I'm guessing the fillets come off in sections?

Cheers mate! Yes whiskers still out there! 
Preparation is all done in fillets. Leave the skin on as it’s best for cooking. Generally just do portion sizes. Wish I had a ban saw to make cutlets! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rock hopper said:

Mate I am new to this area. And you seem to have it sorted. I am yet to take the yak out. Once I get the sounder sorted and shoulder injury done I have to get into some decent fish off shore. Well done boys. 

Cheers mate! Yeah I’ve got a fair idea if the area. If you need any advice just ask! 🤙

17 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

It is very frustrating when people follow your shadow.  A great result.

Seems to be happening a lot more lately! 🥲

11 hours ago, Larkin said:

Wow what a thumper!

You get some cracking fish up your way.

Thanks mate! It’s a great place to fish. Like anywhere, you just need to put in the effort! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

@Scratchie

what sort of depth/structure are you fishing? Close to cliffs? Or deep water?

been researching local spots down my way, picking a few potentials.

Looking at reefs and gravels with structure or drop offs - been going through old reports.

found some gravel/reef at 60m depth and also a heap of cliff drop offs where depth drops to at least 20m quickly onto a reef bottom where I’ve sounded some big rock/ledges that protrude up about 5m off the bottom.

I know you use jerk shad type soft plastics, what size jig head/hook size are you using and what action/retrieve do you do once you cast? I’m planning to give SP a go in these areas but not sure on the type of retrieve for snapper.

thanks

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

@Scratchie

what sort of depth/structure are you fishing? Close to cliffs? Or deep water?

been researching local spots down my way, picking a few potentials.

Looking at reefs and gravels with structure or drop offs - been going through old reports.

found some gravel/reef at 60m depth and also a heap of cliff drop offs where depth drops to at least 20m quickly onto a reef bottom where I’ve sounded some big rock/ledges that protrude up about 5m off the bottom.

I know you use jerk shad type soft plastics, what size jig head/hook size are you using and what action/retrieve do you do once you cast? I’m planning to give SP a go in these areas but not sure on the type of retrieve for snapper.

thanks

Try reading this article I wrote. It explains a lot of your questions. If you have any further, please ask! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Try reading this article I wrote. It explains a lot of your questions. If you have any further, please ask! 

Thanks mate!

Probably the most in depth article I’ve read on snapper fishing with SP 👍 

now I just need the fish to cooperate!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1