Porthacking kings

kobi caught a fish

Yesterday morning I went out on the Port hacking with hookerbruce and my brother.The water was brown and there was a few sticks in the water.

First we went to lilli pilli and started burlying. We started catching a few red bream and a couple of Taylor. Then my brothers rod went off with a kingfish and not long after we had the first kingfish in the boat.

After this fish we caught kingfish after kingfish after kingfish with many triple hookups and lots of double hook ups. Most casts the bait was eaten by a kingfish. There was also trevally and a gurnard mixed in with the kingfish but we still didn’t have a legal king. 

Then my brothers rod goes of with a good fish and after a long fight with multiple kings being caught during the fight but we eventually landed the fish and it went 68cm fish in the boat. After that fish we caught a few more fish before we left.

Over all we caught 35 kingfish with 1 being legal and losing at least 10 fish. All fish were caught on 2 or 3 kg line.

4681210F-0380-4DD9-8549-97606D5E685B.jpeg.f1a041105196461598a91410d60e2c1d.jpegE2F2A832-A9EA-469D-B2B6-C45B32FFBC69.jpeg.c52882c32ebc71f365e983bf7dbb8d44.jpeg

Edited by kobi caught a fish
  • Like 8

22 hours ago, Yowie said:

A great day out Kobi, plenty of fish to catch. Hopefully grandpa caught some as well.

Grandpa did catch his share although I had a day where I lost more than normal. Lost a few round the anchor rope, had a hook break ( think it must have been in the corner of the jaw), after fighting a fish I thought a king the 20lb leader was bitten thru and I pushed the drag to a dangerous level and busted a couple off on 2kg. Still managed 12 kings (throwbacks) and a couple of tailor. Had a great day with a good crew.

10 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Grandpa did catch his share although I had a day where I lost more than normal. Lost a few round the anchor rope, had a hook break ( think it must have been in the corner of the jaw), after fighting a fish I thought a king the 20lb leader was bitten thru and I pushed the drag to a dangerous level and busted a couple off on 2kg. Still managed 12 kings (throwbacks) and a couple of tailor. Had a great day with a good crew.

Sounds like one of those great days out, where the fish co-operate. At this time of year, some larger tailor will turn up in the Hacking.