Curse Is Broken! 13-03-22

Brendan Monks

Marlin at the end of last and the start of this season have somehow eluded us, although hooking plenty they have either jumped off, popped the leader, or anything else imaginable to man - We have somehow not been able to stick a tag in one! 😑

After having to pull out of the Interclub Tournament in Port Stephens due to the skipper testing positive to covid the day we were meant to drive up, and not too many days been fishable recently we made to call to fish the Sunday as it was looking a bit nicer, and also gave us the opportunity to hear if any fish had been caught on the Saturday.

We finally launched at Terrigal ramp just after 7:00am after someone slept in…:whistling: The conditions were very bumpy and took almost 2 hours to finally reach the southern canyon off Norah Head. We quickly had the spread of 5 lures and 2 teasers in the water before starting to mark patchy bait and a few mutton birds working the surface.

1056129299_TerrigalFraidKnot.thumb.jpg.b7e785349b2093bb8271b57d6e8cd38c.jpg

Only shortly into trolling and a hour or so before the tide change, the water erupted around long rigger and the 50w Tiagra crackled into life. We were only halfway through clearing the spread when a big Blue Marlin started jumping towards the boat, still peeling line with only his head coming out thrashing wildly on the surface. Sadly he was soon off after a few jumps and all we got back was around 100mm of leader (Must have landed on it!?).

Being a bit downhearted after losing a lure that had 3 hookups in 2 trips soon changed when the unmistakable dorsal fin of a Striped Marlin popped up behind shotgun. After disappearing and coming back onto the lure all lit up we were expecting a hit, he then turned away and didn’t see him again! This was looking like the trips of recent until the conditions improved dramatically and we had another marlin in the spread after 20/30 minutes.

2058716411_SouthernCanyonsTrolling.thumb.jpg.bfebf0f8f3cd57b1d7711afe741b6ad9.jpg

Again, same lure and same position and they weren’t even hitting it (Must have had rubber hooks. lol). We tried cranking and free spooling the lure back for no avail. We soon made the call to move south before deciding to head north again where we had the initial strike. This paid off and the rigger finally went tight on another fish but didn’t pop the band. Sure enough we had another Striped Marlin bill whacking away, this time on short rigger.🥳

344917109_SouthernCanyonsHookedUp.thumb.jpg.fd83de803ca5ad3e46a025ad4930ed8f.jpg

Luckily this time the hooks stuck and after a lot of aerial acrobatics I was soon harnessed up and settled into the fight! The fight went a lot longer than expected, as well as going super easy on the rod being a light gauge hook. After a bit of circle work we finally had it within range and my mate got in a perfect tag shot before getting a few happy snaps and releasing. Job done! It’s been just over a year since the last one we landed and I cannot explain the froth levels on the boat as it glided away!!!

1886533320_SouthernCanyonsStripedMarlin.thumb.jpg.144dfebad2951f307ddbe69686f7b64d.jpg

840595601_StripedMarlinTagShot.thumb.jpg.323e6d8e9c4cb3e7b814a88610b779dc.jpg

We ended up going 4-2-1 for the day, with a short length of 2.22m and estimated weight of 70-80kg. Another boat that we called up early in the day also hooked a big Blue Marlin right in front of us which weighed in at 210kg. Time to do it all again this weekend! 🍻🤙

1298152915_KillTankBlueMarlin.thumb.jpg.21e95284baf9f8459494400548e9f6d1.jpg

Cheers, Brendo

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great adventure.

Well done.

Super photos.

30 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great report mate, top fish. Well done, hopefully you can get out and get some more in the months to come.

Cheers Rebel & Isaac 🤙 Fishing tomorrow and Sunday again mate 🤞

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

There's more than a few beers in a 4-2-1 day ... enjoy ! Top report and write up.

Thanks for the fix Brendo. ... no please go out and do another... 5months to go....

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran! Not too many drinks...focused on fishing! 😄

Oh, I will be going out for sure 😁 Broken Bay comp this weekend although the weather tomorrow is not looking too nice... 😑

I can feel you being without a boat (Mine is back on the water now after fixing her for 6 months with 1 dropped Marlin, few dollies and bonito recently). If you want to jump on sometime for a reef/river fish shoot me a PM.

I think it's time to tag @GoingFishing now as well 🤣

Edited by Brendan Monks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great report and awesome photos Brendo. Now I know why you don't come estuary fishing at the moment, too much fun out wide. Good luck over the next few weeks and look forward to more reports. The bream and flatties will be there when the beakies have moved north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scienceman said:

Great report and awesome photos Brendo. Now I know why you don't come estuary fishing at the moment, too much fun out wide. Good luck over the next few weeks and look forward to more reports. The bream and flatties will be there when the beakies have moved north.

Cheers, thanks Wazza! 🤙 Been fishing wide every opportunity I can, but not too many results at the moment to show for it 🤪

Definitely keen to catch up again for a fish!!! I'll shoot you a msg when I'm not heading offshore but next 2 weekends are comps.

2 hours ago, Brendan Monks said:

Thanks Zoran! Not too many drinks...focused on fishing! 😄

Oh, I will be going out for sure 😁 Broken Bay comp this weekend although the weather tomorrow is not looking too nice... 😑

I can feel you being without a boat (Mine is back on the water now after fixing her for 6 months with 1 dropped Marlin, few dollies and bonito recently). If you want to jump on sometime for a reef/river fish shoot me a PM.

I think it's time to tag @GoingFishing now as well 🤣

Ofcourse not too many on the boat .... after fishing when story time comes around ... and around... and around! 🤣

Best of luck in the comp.  I'll PM you re the fish sesh.

Cheers and Thanks Z

On 3/19/2022 at 9:10 AM, Scratchie said:

Nice work mate! Good to see you get amongst it! Have to tee a up a trip soon 🤙 and bring Rick along! 

cheers scratchie!!!

Yes for sure!, Rick was on our boat again just over the weekend...I'm guessing you've already heard!!?? 🤪

Still trying to process it all! 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brendan Monks said:

Yes for sure!, Rick was on our boat again just over the weekend...I'm guessing you've already heard!!?? 🤪

Still trying to process it all! 😂

Hahahaahaha yeah messaged me! Epic fish and hope it’s a world record! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, Larkin said:

Well done on the Beakie!

top effort. How long it take to bring in?

Just under an hour mate, went very easy as we haven't had the hooks stay in one for a while now 😄

On 3/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, GordoRetired said:

Those Marlin can be tricky buggers to keep on the hook 🙂
However a 4-2-1 for the day is a good result. Any day that you manage to land a bill fish is a great day out. There can be too many days when you don't even see one.

Yes, very true! We actually were using a light gauge hook on this lure, seemed to do the job! 😀 Have had a few days for absolute zilch also, but managing to at least raise a fish most trips now. 

On 3/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, GoingFishing said:

Nice work Brendo. Cracking beakie. Would have been satisfying after looking for them so long and a few missed hookups!

Id be happy to jump onboard as crew anytime !

Thanks Sam! 🤙 Hoping to get a few more trips in this season, weather permitting.

• Like 1