Long Reef - Kingies (20 March)

dlvbw

Hey Raiders,

Headed out Sunday with MD to chase kingies. Launched at Roseville around 545. It was already pretty busy.....

Headed to get liveys at Bradleys and there were boats everywhere, but most were fishing quite deep. We tucked in nice and close and filled up on yakkas in no time. They went particularly nuts when I put some old chicken bones in the burley pot. 

Heading out of the heads in a decent swell but nothing too hectic. Got to Longie and literally before I had put a livey in the water MD hooked up and had landed a rat. His livey had been in the water around 3 seconds! Good start. The next hour was pretty much non stop action. We caught about 10 kingies on liveys and unweighted squid. We had plenty of rats in the burley trail and there was a lot of bait fish around. Got one nice keeper and got dusted on my brand new Saragosa 10000. Drag was about 2/3 and I was completely smoked. Initially I could barely get the rod out of the rod holder. The line was headed towards the prop, managed to stop it and get a couple of winds in then  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz pop. Game over. Unfortunately we only got the one shot at a monster.

Came home in pretty sloppy conditions. North Head was a complete mess. Fished the harbour for zip and called it. We were then met with an insane ramp but thankfully most people were pretty chilled.

Not a bad morning. Plenty of kings about! 

Cheers 

D

SmartSelect_20220324-151652_Gallery.jpg

• Like 10