Port Hacking

Isaac Ct

Gday Raiders,

Launched from Yowie Bay at 5:40 and headed to the the drop-off at lilli pilli and trolled around for a bit for no result, then drifted around for no luck. I then drifted around the entrance of the South West Arm to no result. The tide turn was at 9:40 so was hoping the fishing would fire up by then. Drifted the flats up the Arm and landed a couple of snapper just undersize and plenty of smaller pinkies. At about 9:20 we decided to move to one of the public moorings and try and get either a couple of leatherjackets for a feed or a couple of Yakka's for some fresh bait. Managed a couple of Yakka's and in a hail mary we anchored in a random spot about 20m from the shoreline on the South West Arm. Instantly we started pulling in numerous pinkie's and small tailor, also caught a little something that I will post in the Aquarium for an ID. Filleted one of the Yakka's and got a slightly better hit and it has a bit of weight and after a nervy fight I was extremely pleased with the sight of a decent snapper for the river, measured at 45cm. Also caught my first Watsons Leaping Bonito but released it after a bit of debate. Cooked up the snapper in a beer batter with the skin on a fried it, was delicious. 

The water around the South West Arm gets a fair bit clearer the further up you go compared to the rest of the hacking as well.

Cheers, Isaac.

1841367911_WatsonLeapingBonito.thumb.jpg.8760c7623f3171cfbb6d78cbeaa03ef1.jpg400470536_45cmSnapperHacking.thumb.jpg.c02f1c390da1255e23f5ce5e2f9f8ebd.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

A nice reddie for the Hacking, and the bonnie would have been an excellent bait, fresh or salted and frozen for later.

Dam it!!

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Good stuff Issaac and a 45cm Snapper in Sydney is excellent. Also congratulation for your first Watsons Leaping Bonito 👍

Thanks mate.

43 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice red the best we could get today was only 35. Your persistence paid off. The watsons was a bonus we didn’t see any surface action at all.

Funnily enough, I got the bonnie of the bottom and there was no signs of any baitfishh around us, as far as we could tell anyway.

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Funnily enough, I got the bonnie of the bottom and there was no signs of any baitfishh around us, as far as we could tell anyway.

I have had bonito and Watson bonito takes baits from the bottom on several occasions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

Good one Isaac, well done

Thanks mate.

9 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Go Isaac

great teddies and a pelagic too!

Thanks mate, the bonnie started to fight like a trev at the start as I could feel tail beats but it wasn't swimming complete laps of the boat, so I thought it was going to be something different and it was!

7 hours ago, Larkin said:

Best size for the plate imo.

well done on the PB 👍 that’s a great catch!

Thanks mate, pretty happy with it.

Isaac. That is a fine plate size Snapper, and the bonnie not only are top bait but they are tasty on the plate as well.

Fillet and skin the bonnie , lightly shallow fry for a couple of minutes, cut and cube some tomato and finely slice some onion and fry together but  separate from the fish till onion is soft, then add bonnie to the tomato onion mix and stir together, serve with salt and pepper and I'm sure you won't be throwing them back the next time.

Frank

7 hours ago, frankS said:

Isaac. That is a fine plate size Snapper, and the bonnie not only are top bait but they are tasty on the plate as well.

Fillet and skin the bonnie , lightly shallow fry for a couple of minutes, cut and cube some tomato and finely slice some onion and fry together but  separate from the fish till onion is soft, then add bonnie to the tomato onion mix and stir together, serve with salt and pepper and I'm sure you won't be throwing them back the next time.

Frank

Thanks Frank, 100% the next one is going in the esky. 

6 hours ago, Restyle said:

Very good sized snapper mate, great day with nice weather good stuff

Thanks mate.

6 hours ago, Rebel said:

Super report.

Top photos.

Well done.

Cheers.

5 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff Isaac. Good to see you land a quality snapper! And those bonito give a good run too! Keep up the good work 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks mate, I will try but probably won't get out fishing till the holidays, this weekend is a bit of boat maintenance in rubbing back the rust and repainting it. I will post a report after the holidays about the holidays

• Like 2