Port Stephens- Making the most of it

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Just a quick report from the last couple of sessions that I’ve finally managed to squeeze between a really busy schedule. 

Headed out Wednesday with @back cruncherand my youngest son Cruz (the fish magnet) 

We headed north and got there at first light. It was a nervous trip up there with heavy fog that rendered us pretty much blind the whole way. 
7B782A20-6333-4A33-AEA6-4C0D6BEAD897.thumb.png.8659f8e92fc58b28f8ea657d8158e5aa.png
We arrived safely and began to cast and all things were pretty quiet. The young fella managed a couple of pannies on jigs and me and mick were yet to get a touch. Moved around a few locations but the wind was playing havoc and making things difficult. We finally found a good patch of bait and steady drift and the fish decided to turn up! I managed a nice specimen on a livie and then I could hear Micks reel screaming that ran him all around the boat. A bit of teamwork and into the net she goes. Cracking fish! 
I then managed a decent sized Samson fish that went real hard. Tried a couple more drifts but the fish shut down again, so we headed for home. 

85FB48B9-5E62-4914-9AB3-3BE2FA71F157.thumb.jpeg.b5bff6a24d9d8117b046f1ac6e63779f.jpeg

1810E543-E537-43E0-8AB6-9F28613FF7A3.thumb.jpeg.d952659f2b7f8164ca816e338a91f56a.jpeg

FRIDAY, was too good of a day not to get out there. I ended up taking a young local kid that’s been asking me a few questions and thought it better to take him out and show him! 
Caught a few livies on the way and headed to a likely area. I came up tight first cast and after a few casts from the young fella he had a decent one in the net. After two drifts the sun started to rise and so did the procession of boats in benign conditions. So after been surrounded, we changed areas which was a brilliant move. Got a good drift and the fish came on board thick and fast. I managed to land three in three casts. The livie goes off and the young fella has a brawl with a solid Mack tuna. We then lose a thumping snapper to a pulled hook and changed locations again. Not much doing at the next spot but just at the end of the drift, I’m onto a screamer. Had it on for 5 minutes and just when I thought I had control, bang she’s gone! Ended up being a snapped hook! Damn!! 
Moved again, but the conditions now were almost glass off, with no drift! But we decided to have a few more casts and the young fella comes up tight to a screamer. Good runs, good bumps and played it well but insight of the boat it managed to chew through the leader! Not another one lost! Oh well, we still got a box full of snapper and plenty lessons learnt. Keen to get back out there and do it all again!

2B8A14D2-722E-42F8-B775-DFC260597959.thumb.jpeg.8cb5151bc2842f04ef5001527925e358.jpeg

Thanks for reading,

cheers scratchie!!!  

• Like 20

Great report Jeff, some really nice reds there. Foggy start is always a bit tentative on the water, but usually means a nice day as you proved. Great to get out with your boy. Hope the new job is going well, but sounds like you are busy.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bobthelob2341 said:

Cracking fish there, hoping to get up to Port Stephens and chase them on plastics too some time!

Thanks. Winter is generally the best time to find a few up here! 

13 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see you back at it @Scratchie! You haven't failed to disappoint.

Really nice to be back on the water after a long hiatus. I know what that feels like...mine should end next weekend!

Cheers mate! Yes it can be very frustrating when commitments of work and kids get in the way of good conditions. Good luck next weekend! 

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Jeff, some really nice reds there. Foggy start is always a bit tentative on the water, but usually means a nice day as you proved. Great to get out with your boy. Hope the new job is going well, but sounds like you are busy.

Cheers Bob! Yes it was a great day with the boy even though the early start is not ideal for a teenager. My new job is going well, thanks! 

• Like 1

Great stuff, Jeff! You certainly get up there early! 😎 Gotta keep your eyes and ears open for whales. I watched some amazing breaches off One Mile yesterday. 🐋 Ive got a lot more time on my hands these days, as I’ve cut back my hours at work, so I might just message you to join me on a trip in my boat… as soon as my hand recovers from surgery and I can hold a rod. 😉

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! You certainly get up there early! 😎 Gotta keep your eyes and ears open for whales. I watched some amazing breaches off One Mile yesterday. 🐋 Ive got a lot more time on my hands these days, as I’ve cut back my hours at work, so I might just message you to join me on a trip in my boat… as soon as my hand recovers from surgery and I can hold a rod. 😉

Thanks Baz. We’ll get you out there sometime. 
As for the whales, on Friday, the second drift we did as it hit first light, a whale full breached 20m ahead of my boat. Scared the S&@T out of me! But so majestic 🙌

• Like 1

Good fish again Scratchie, worth the time and effort. Travelling in foggy conditions makes for a bit of a thrill  🤣 , especially when others boats speed along, or you cannot see the waves until they hit the side of the boat.

• Haha 1