Hawkesbury report - moon effect

Pickles

2 days after a full moon is never good in the Hawkesbury (big tides) especially when there is a howling southerly (and showers). But Solomon got it right in Ecclesiastes (“There is a time for everything under the sun, a time to laugh and a time to cry…”), but beats mowing the lawns.

The plan was to get outside for blue spots, but wind and swell just too big, so stayed around the western side - off Flint & Steel till turn of the tide after 10am and then implement “Plan B” - set out live baits for jewfish.
As the pics show-  It was a very, very average day and no Jewies, not even soapies. Bait was plentiful with lots of “lollipop” size yakkas’ off West head bait grounds and a very interesting “new” species of “Bent nose” shovel nose.58230CB2-CDB7-4D6A-8418-85A3DA0F01C1.thumb.jpeg.c907d0916cda3ebc64739ce6cd6d1140.jpeg454AC543-EFD9-4EE1-8617-A5D9D168DA09.thumb.jpeg.12987263cf90e3d8b164b11fc9f94e6f.jpeg

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff mate, very nice plate of fish. 

I was always under the impression that Full moons were good times to fish? Or is that just for the Hawkesbury?

Well done.

Isaac, the best time to go fishing is - whenever you get the chance. I’ve always found the full moon and new moon periods to be less successful for me, but in the Hawkesbury, unless you are going to use a house brick as a sinker, or you like catching ray and catfish, the big tidal differences are best avoided and smaller tides the best.

Only my “mug” opinion from my experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Isaac, the best time to go fishing is - whenever you get the chance. I’ve always found the full moon and new moon periods to be less successful for me, but in the Hawkesbury, unless you are going to use a house brick as a sinker, or you like catching ray and catfish, the big tidal differences are best avoided and smaller tides the best.

Cheers mate. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, Pickles said:

I went Snapper /KGW fishing in South Australia some time back. The charter operator said that we would be lucky to get many fish because of the "neap tide". Boy was he wrong. I caught heaps including a 92 and 91 cm Snapper on the first 2 drops (bait fishing).

bn

• Like 1