Repowering the boat

mowie1

The old 40yamaha has seen out its life (36years) need a new 4stroke. Tossing up between Yamaha F40 & Suzuki DF40. Change over price nearly the same. Much the same motor  Warranty 3Years Yamaha, 6Years Suzuki. Any thoughts please. 

Go for the warranty, make sure it's a full warranty and not some aftermarket 3rd party gimmick. Honda were offering a full 7 year recreational use warranty recently.

edit.......before the "Honda is too heavy" crowd jump in, check the weight!

Edited by noelm

Not too sure how warranties can be a problem later, unless it's a 3rd party extended warranty, most manufacturers warranty are full warranties, unless it's a maintenance or neglect/abuse issue, the motor is covered. Most services do not need to be performed by an authorised dealer, however there is some stipulations if they are not, make 100% sure you understand that! All motors are good these days, you need to look at price, warranty, weight and dealer distance and reputation, then juggle that around to buy what suits you best.

Ive always been a Yamaha must have kind of person but these can also have issues like any other brand.

Recently looking into getting a new engine on my boat, Yamaha state the engine has to be fitted by them as well as serviced by them. 

The Yamaha mechanic I often work for skippering his urchin and abalone boat actually has a Honda, simply because they cost around 5k less than Yam and offer better warranties even on commercial vessels. In saying that he does prefer Yamaha, not that there has been any problem in the first 1500hrs from the Honda.

• Like 1

I thought about going from my 30hp 2 stroke Yamaha to a 40hp 4 stroke.I would do my homework on all the different outboards like the guys have said.Last time I looked Yamaha were on the expensive side compared to etecs and mercury especially.I nearly went a 40hp etec but I can’t justify getting rid of my as new 30 clunker.

Just ordered Suzuki 50hp delivered to dealer Friday. Same specs as 40hp. Little more rpms. Would have had to wait 4 -6 weeks for Yamaha. Yamaha 40hp 747cm, Suzuki 40hp 941, cm both 3 cylinder. Yamaha 50hp is 4cylinder 996cm. Long wait time. Interested to see how new motor compares with old Yamaha at same rpms.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowie1 said:

Just ordered Suzuki 50hp delivered to dealer Friday. Same specs as 40hp. Little more rpms. Would have had to wait 4 -6 weeks for Yamaha. Yamaha 40hp 747cm, Suzuki 40hp 941, cm both 3 cylinder. Yamaha 50hp is 4cylinder 996cm. Long wait time. Interested to see how new motor compares with old Yamaha at same rpms.  

Do you mean cc's, ie engine capacity?

21 hours ago, mowie1 said:

Best guess it will be better in every way, from starting, smoothness, power delivery and way better on fuel, no smoke and no mixing oil in the fuel.

Suzuki has a bigger bore &stroke 72.5x76mm and 12 valve, gear ratio 2.27:1. Yamaha bore & stroke 65x75mm and 6 valve, gear ratio 2.00:1. At the end of the day they are both very close to each other. Suzuki in stock Yamaha have 4 to 6 weeks. 

• Like 1

Repower update  Picked up boat on Friday. Started run in Monday, Tuesday. Just past 4000rpm stage. So quiet and uses hardly any fuel. Digital gauge have more info than I could ask for. The mechanic did a great job +++++ nothing was a bother, explained how things work. Dont know if I can give him a plug on this forum. He seems to work on all brands of motor. Just waiting for the rain to stop and see how she performs at revs compared to old motor.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finely got to put some hours on new motor. Not fully run in but can run at full power for short periods (rocket). The difference is outstanding. The boat seems to like around 4500 rpm. Very happy. Put out some crab pots see reports.

It's amazing when you go to a new 4 stroke hey? All the old less power and stuff like that just disappears into a distant memory (like the smoke) when reality hits and all those urban myths are blown out of the water.