Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out this arvo with my mate in his boat. The trip through the Hacking was wall-to-wall boats and jet skis. Not a good day to be in the river fishing.

We headed out past the bombie to deeper water and were on to a few flatties almost straight away. Drifted towards shore to about 100 feet of water, and the spikey numbers picked up, so motored back out to deeper water again. Pulled up a few more blue spots, and a couple of just unders, then my mate says, "I feel seasick." :wacko:  He forgot to take his seasick tablet, so we headed back to base.

That catch was for less than 2 hours fishing. We had planned to anchor before sunset after drifting, but was not to be.

Back at his place, I sent out a floating bait and pulled up the 2 tailor, not a lot over the size limit. The biggest flattie was 49cm.

fish.jpeg.366_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Restyle said:

cracker bag of fish for a couple hours of work! good effort as always 

Thank you, young man. Happy with the feed of fillets.

Up river fishing should only get better, but not on weekends.

Nice haul of flatties! 👍

I was out there too. Plenty of people out and about - school holidays and good weather gets the crowds out.

Swell was 2-3m in the morning, decreased around midday, although wave period was quite long, so not rough - but I can understand why your mate got sick as there were rolling swells - a lot of up and down - like being on a carnival ride!

what’s time did you get out there?

5 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice haul of flatties! 👍

I was out there too. Plenty of people out and about - school holidays and good weather gets the crowds out.

Swell was 2-3m in the morning, decreased around midday, although wave period was quite long, so not rough - but I can understand why your mate got sick as there were rolling swells - a lot of up and down - like being on a carnival ride!

what’s time did you get out there?

Happy with the catch - at least he held out for a while before pulling the pin.

Started fishing before 3pm, lines up at 4.30.

My mate has ocean fished for many years, but still gets sea sick. His boat does pitch a bit in a swell, being a 25 footer - the higher above the water, the more you rock and roll.

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Great result Sir Yowie and friend.I noticed the other day during the week the jet skiers and boaties have increased during the day.I never use to see anyone midweek on a jet ski 3 or 4 yrs ago.

Thanks Fab. 

Jet ski numbers have markedly increased since Covid started, and some of the riders are youngsters.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done top bag of fish those flathead will be some top eating fish

Thank you, fillets tonight.

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great bag Yowie, of course you still manage to smash the fish in a short window of time, then still manage to catch good ones while not in your main fishing area.

Well done

Thank you. No way I would be fishing up river on a Sunday.

1 hour ago, Squidless said:

Wall to wall flatties as reward to getting past the wall to wall boats and jetskis. Great report, glad to see you back decimating the fish population 😂

Happy to be back and into some fish.

1 hour ago, Bluebenbomb said:

We can always rely on you to provide us with great pictures and a report. Well done on the bag of flatties.

Thank you.

25 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

very impressive fish:minute ratio🤪

enjoythose fillets!!

Thank you.

One thing I forgot to include was a gummy shark, around the metre mark. I though I had on a big flattie, until it started taking line against the drag, then second thoughts about what it was.

If I did not have a few flatties, I would have taken it home for the plate. I tried some recently in Victoria, at a couple of pubs and clubs, and it batters up very tasty when freshly caught.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed out this arvo with my mate in his boat. The trip through the Hacking was wall-to-wall boats and jet skis. Not a good day to be in the river fishing.

We headed out past the bombie to deeper water and were on to a few flatties almost straight away. Drifted towards shore to about 100 feet of water, and the spikey numbers picked up, so motored back out to deeper water again. Pulled up a few more blue spots, and a couple of just unders, then my mate says, "I feel seasick." :wacko:  He forgot to take his seasick tablet, so we headed back to base.

That catch was for less than 2 hours fishing. We had planned to anchor before sunset after drifting, but was not to be.

Back at his place, I sent out a floating bait and pulled up the 2 tailor, not a lot over the size limit. The biggest flattie was 49cm.

fish.jpeg.366_files_files_files.jpg

There certainly on aren’t they!!