1.11 Meter Kayak Jewfish (27 September'22)

kingfish101

For the past 5 weeks I have been fishing some new areas both upriver and down river from the bridges with only some enjoyable days on the water and an 80cm jewfish to show for around 50 hours of paddling.

Set off from Berowra Waters boat ramp just after sunrise to take advantage of the longer daylight hours. The heavens opened while I was catching mullet for live bait in Joe Crafts Bay and I was grateful I'd invested in some good quality waterproof kayaking gear. It makes the difference between a pleasant and an uncomfortable day on the water.

Bully mullet are around in good numbers in both the Hawkesbury River and its tributaries at the moment and it took less than an hour to catch 5 prime specimens. For catching mullet I've found that a (very) gentle strike immediately the float dips under is most successful. I use 6LB mono, a lightly weighted quill float and a size 12 fine wire hook 30cm below the float baited with a small ball of Wonder White. Catching mullet can be quite frustrating but it's (almost) as much fun as the end game.

It's very much all or nothing using big mullet for bait with very little scope for by catch such as flathead. If you want to hedge your bets smaller mullet are a better option. I use a Tupperware  container for catching small mullet, weighted with a handful of sand, baited with Wonder White and bread crumbs and placed in shallow water on a sand flat. That's a MK13 in the picture which gives an idea of how many prototypes I've experimented with.

Got to the fishing grounds in the Hawkesbury River by mid morning and fished the last 2 hours of the flood and the slack for no return. The bite came when I was drifting in 6 meters of water as the ebb was getting underway. He was a fat jewfish and put up a very spirited fight, staying close to the bottom and towing the kayak away from the rocks into deep water. Took around 20 minutes from the hit to getting the fish in the hatch.

Stopped off at the Twin Beaches on the way back to the ramp where a very pleasant family interrupted their picnic lunch to take some photographs for me.

P1010678.JPG

P1010680.JPG

P1010674.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Well done kingfish! 1.11m 👍

great read, with some really good tips in there for chasing big Jewies.

What time of day have you been catching these big fish? Is it always around the same time?
Do you think time of day, tide, weather or even air pressure come into play chasing these fish?

what I’m basically asking is, now that you regularly catch these fish, what conclusions have you come to?

thanks in advance 

Edited by Larkin

I really enjoyed reading your detailed report. All the information helps anyone else know what they need to do- especially the persistence with many hours repeating what you know works until you got the well deserved results!

congratulations on another cracker jewie 

Fil

Hi Larkin,

With regard to your questions I have reached a few conclusions, none earth shattering and all documented over the years.

The location. All important there must be some current and some cover for the fish nearby.

The bait. Mullet feature on the menu of all the predators in the estuary. The jewfish's lateral line is likely the most potent weapon in its arsenal and a big mullet double hooked would put out some very good vibrations with 360 degree coverage.

Target. If you are chasing big fish 'forsake all others' and be prepared to go home empty handed from most outings.

Tide. I've been most successful on the ebb, particularly the early ebb.

Depth. For years I have been fixated with fishing deep holes but I have now concluded depth is not so important.

Stealth. I always fish during the week when most people are working and the waterways are less busy and I find somewhere quiet, away from other fishermen and traffic. Even in the kayak I avoid knocking the hull. "What about the Hawkesbury bridges" I hear you ask. Maybe the fish become accustomed to the noise and traffic there?

Pressure. A year ago I would have been very sceptical but now I am not so sure as I have usually had most luck with a falling barometer. Coincidence?

Time and patience. Stating the obvious there aren't any quick fixes. It's necessary to put in the hours on the water. Easy for a retiree to say.

Hope the above helps. Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Great report and tons of detailed info to help others achieve similar results. Especially the photo of Mk13 of your poddy mullet trap. How big is the container? 

Also love hearing about all the effort to catch these beautiful fish. Sometimes we read reports and forget how much effort it took to get the result. 

@kingfish101Some really good information that I’m sure a lot of fellow fishraiders will also appreciate in your reply. Thanks 👍

Totally agree with you on stealth - its something that gets overlooked by a lot of fishos. Circling around on a drift, fishing a quiet day ect ect can make a big difference.

Hi @kingfish101

I'm trying to replicate your poddy mullet trap and just had few questions if you don't mind:

Apart from the main hole in the top do you put any holes in the sides to allow the fish to swim in?

I assume the turned down edges of the main hole are to prevent the bread from floating out and make it harder for the mullet to escape once inside?

Do you place the trap just below the surface i.e. so the lid is only a few centimetres below the surface?

Thanks in advance

Fil

Hi LuckyFil,

I do not put any holes in the side of the trap for the mullet to swim in. I have experimented with a side entry but much of the bread drifted out and gave the mullet a free meal.

The turned down edge or lip is to make it more difficult for the mullet to swim out. I make the lip from a small Tupperware container cut to size with a hacksaw. I use this as a pattern to mark the lid of the trap and then cut the hole in the lid of the trap with a Stanley knife. Finally I use a soldering iron to melt the plastic and fuse the lip and the lid of the trap together. 

Depth to place the trap - 20cm or so of water is a good starting point.

The bays with mangroves in seem to be the most productive and some of them hold mullet year round.

I bait the trap with a couple of rounds of Wonder White squashed to a pulp and Coles own brand bread crumbs - for some reason they seem to work best.

Only some body who has been retired for many years and with time on their hands would go to so much trouble to refine catching poddy mullet!

Good Luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2