The fishing express = Exam Procrastination + premature celebrations, and other such equations

Little_Flatty

I really should be studying for my final exams (ever!), but this morning I took delivery of a Crucis 7843UL Elite Traveller rod which proved to be a major distraction. I didn't really mean to buy something quite this fancy - it was just an upgrade on my previous $60 travel rod - but this rod feels so phenomenal that it might just become my favourite rod, travel or not!

So off I head down to the Meadowbank, with new rod in hand. One thing I did prior to this was purge my tackle bag of the majority of my lures and keep a small box of jig heads and two plastics I haven't used before: a gulp jigging shrimp and a bait junkie minnow, both of which I picked out of the $5 bin at a tackle shop. Much lighter and frankly if I couldn't get fish on those lures, nothing else would do it!

I arrived at the same time as another angler who was fishing with prawns. Get talking and realise he hasn't fished there before. I told him that there were many flatties to be found in this spot. He seemed surprised.

Put on a gulp jigging shrimp and get casting. A few casts in, I come up tight on this little guy:

image.png.ce395a53abf2055f521b432b545a5493.png

My new friend was suitably impressed. Throw it back and cast on. A few casts later and I get this guy:

image.png.643ed4358985cc0584382a8d14f1fd79.png

A legal at least, also released. Worth coming out!

It was then that the spirits of academia thought enough was enough and sent gusts of strong wind blowing me nearly off my feet! It was really something! Message taken, I went home to rescue my washing from the line and practice my backshift operators.

All over in fifteen mins!

Got quite some fishing planned in the days to come after my exams! Can't wait!

• Like 14

2 flatties in 15 minutes. Well done, very productive!

A 15 minute break is alright (as long as you don't always make excuses), it helps take your mind off things.

The "backshift operators" look like scientific mumbo jumbo to me, good luck for your exam.

Edited by Bluebenbomb
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff LF, nice short session. Flatties always seem to pop up in the weirdest places looking for food.

Good luck with your finals, just curious, what are you studying?

Thanks Isaac. I'm studying statistics, specifically time series and forecasting this semester. Hugely useful for almost anything...maybe even fishing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Thanks Isaac. I'm studying statistics, specifically time series and forecasting this semester. Hugely useful for almost anything...maybe even fishing!

forecasting? dose this mean better weather forecasts then the "bureau of meteorology" 

• Haha 4

Brilliant result Mike and getting out for a quick flick probably cleared your head and put you in a good place to prepare for exams (as a ex- head of school and previously uni lecturer, I often advised students to “blow the cobwebs away” before major exams).

isn’t it a “joy” to have confidence in a rod/ reel set up, it’s such a pleasure every session you use it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

I didn't mean to buy a new rod, it just turned up in the mail.  :074: If I tried that here, it would be :wife:.

A couple of flatties to wear in the new rod.

I have to admit, Mrs Little_Flatty is very tolerant of my foibles. She reviews the bank account regularly and only asks questions of suspicious (potentially fraudulent) transactions! None of the fishing purchases are ever suspected to be fraudulent 🤣 In my defense, I won't have to pay uni fees anymore, so that is a lot of spare money we now have.

10 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

2 flatties in 15 minutes. Well done, very productive!

A 15 minute break is alright (as long as you don't always make excuses), it helps take your mind off things.

The "backshift operators" look like scientific mumbo jumbo to me, good luck for your exam.

Thanks. Certainly did the trick! I have haven't been fishing seriously for a good month or so, which is very hard because I know it is warming up. The maths isn't that terrible, once you understand the context.

8 hours ago, Restyle said:

forecasting? dose this mean better weather forecasts then the "bureau of meteorology" 

Probably not :) There are likely many of my ilk working there already, and they are probably smarter! I think it could be quite fun to work at the BOM!

Here's another link for you. There's a common saying in statistics: 'All models are wrong, some are useful'.

23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant result Mike and getting out for a quick flick probably cleared your head and put you in a good place to prepare for exams (as a ex- head of school and previously uni lecturer, I often advised students to “blow the cobwebs away” before major exams).

isn’t it a “joy” to have confidence in a rod/ reel set up, it’s such a pleasure every session you use it.

Thanks Bob, that's just what I need; justification of fishing from a highly experienced educator and academic😎 Seriously though, it really helps to take a break every now and again! Surprise, surprise, earlier on, I found I didn't do too well when I rushed out of the office and into the exam hall...

The new rod is fantastic. It will likely see more than occasional use and get treated better than my previous travel rods :) 

• Like 2

Nice way to break in the new rod. I also like the minimalist approach which i struggle to adopt. i generally bring the entire kitchen sink with me!

good luck with your exams, the math reminds me of good memories studying math in uni. One subject I studied was chaos theory and dynamical systems highlights how hard it actually is to predict the weather. 

• Like 3

That's a productive 15 minutes and I'm sure you'll be getting a few hundred casts in every spare moment with the new rod. I also picked up a new rod this week... Diawa TD Black Wicked Weasel...6'6" on sale and has added plenty of distance to my casts, especially with a newly spooled reel. 

• Like 2

I hope that you do well in your exams Mike and that you can then focus a bit more on the important things in life (fishing, buying gear, etc). Looks like the new purchases are going to fit in really well when you get a bit more free time. Good luck, and I will let you know if I am able to get to Sydney in December. Cheers, bn

• Like 1