Breaking a red drought

dirvin21

It's been a tough year for jack fishing on the Mid North Coast, the constant rain and flooding over last summer made the usual jack season a write off. Amy and I realised we haven't dedicated any jack sessions in 2022 and decided with the current hot weather this had to be rectified. We had an early wake up to head up to the Nambucca. The water wasn't as clear as I'd hoped but we were excited all the same

received_834515057883109.thumb.jpeg.8a9187263e40d884b2221d769eaffa5e.jpeg

To save a very long story we casted and casted and casted some more for very little, I hooked a small flathead and Amy had a couple of reasonable hits but otherwise zip, welcome to MNC lure fishing for jacks. 

We were determined to stick it out and keep persisting with the jack gear, finally out of nowhere Amy's rod loads up with a certain jack I hit spot lick on the electric and grabbed the net only for the hooks to pull, Amy actually laughed, I was on my knees cursing. I thought we'd blown our shot.

We kept the casts going working good looking bank after goid looking bank, then in a funny turn Amy says the area we're casting looks fishy. Out of nowhere my lure gets slammed, rod buckles and near licked drag is screaming, I called jack straight away we were both shocked when one solid red satan surfaced  and played hard to get with the net.... such a relief when they hit the deck, not to mention my yahooing victory dance

received_925410688425893.thumb.jpeg.9d8dc25a1617b0d5f8e05e167fdebaf4.jpeg

Can't beat a solid red satan especiallyafter an 18 month drought, and to top it off a new pb

received_441772021480568.thumb.jpeg.f731f6d578f9a2dcb69ea9af1bf189c7.jpeg

We put in plenty of casts trying to find another but no luck, only one fish landed for the session... success? Hell yes!

Cheers for reading

Dave

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Well done to you both for having a couple of chances with the MJs in what was (most likely) average conditions. That's a good size to be doing battle with Dave and must give you confidence of finding some more during the Summer. Still high on my bucket list of fish to catch. Have to see how things pan out during the Summer and early next year. Well done.

bn

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice red devil   had brekkie at coffee shop next to tackle shop at  nambucca frday morn  the water looked good there  hope to get up there soon  bouvht a 399 proline

Water's finally coming good, if the rain behaves ot should be a great summer for fishing 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Question for you Dave. What gear do YOU use to target MJ's in the estuary? Include the entire set up, please. bn

Medium-heavy baitcast

I have a samaki archer 10-17lb bmh

Reel is a shimano curado 200

30lb braid and 30lb leader

Lures are 65 - 90mm hardbodies dive depth 2-3m

Succesful lures

Zerek tango shad 68mm and 89mm

Atomic deep divers 85mm

Strikepro 70mm can't remember the name

Samaki reddic 85mm

I prefer natural baitfish type colours

Most lures require treble upgrades