Would you believe me if i said....

Crabstar

Kingfish in Woronora River?

Down next to the old bridge....

That's right, i was down near my usual poddie spot as i refuse to pay $20 for pilis

Took a while to bring the poddies into action but after some pieces of bread and 30mins later they came in thick and fast.... I was armored with the smallest fly hook you can buy (better the the green musterd hooks) about half the size in fact..

After pinning 5 mullet in 10mins they all quickly dispersed, was very strange. Then in less the half a meter of water three kings all over 80cm came flying through like torpedo's, they were not going to stop for nothing!

Trust me i had the $hits as i didn't have another rod....

Anyway few more mullet and ready to go home and just to send me off on my way, they came cruising through again.....

AHHHH!

Edited by Crabstar
  • Like 9

20$ for pillies? wow. Usually $13kg salted, 10$ non salt
anyway, I've been hearing reports of kings being caught of the jettys at Revesby beach/Georges river national park & plenty of kings are being caught at captain cook & tom ugly bridges. The trawlers in the Hawksbury are having no issue pulling in good sized prawns and when i was out a couple nights ago there were millions of prawns and schools of poddys jumping from the water as i kayaked past. (only caught about 6 bream in the 25-35 range, a 45odd flattie and a pan sized ray.)

alot of bait around so surly the predators wont be far behind. Looks like were in for a cracker pelagic season!

if you have issues with hooks, size 10 daiichi are a tiny hook and they go down to size 18 which is so bloody small, about 5mm. 

• Like 1

I believe you. like @Restyle said, last year I saw about 8 of them cruising in a pack at the boat ramp in Panania right up close. they were just swimming up and down about a metre out from the bank...I ran home to get my rod (I don't live too far from there) but by the time I got back they were gone. there was tiny bait everywhere that day and they were gone as well when I came back with the rod.

today I was a the park next to the woronora boat ramp for a 3yr olds bday and the water was teeming with bait fish and I saw a huge splash...again I was without my rod, only this time my wife was rolling her eyes at me 😅

4 hours ago, Restyle said:

20$ for pillies? wow. Usually $13kg salted, 10$ non salt
anyway, I've been hearing reports of kings being caught of the jettys at Revesby beach/Georges river national park & plenty of kings are being caught at captain cook & tom ugly bridges. The trawlers in the Hawksbury are having no issue pulling in good sized prawns and when i was out a couple nights ago there were millions of prawns and schools of poddys jumping from the water as i kayaked past. (only caught about 6 bream in the 25-35 range, a 45odd flattie and a pan sized ray.)

alot of bait around so surly the predators wont be far behind. Looks like were in for a cracker pelagic season!

if you have issues with hooks, size 10 daiichi are a tiny hook and they go down to size 18 which is so bloody small, about 5mm. 

Spiro is selling pillies at that price.

I bought some of his bait prawns (fresh out of the Hawkesbury) that were fresh enough to cook up (the prawns were stored in ice in an esky). Some normal cooked prawns, and most of the rest cooked into a soup like dish. Just take a while to peel. The flavour is very nice.

Where were you the other night?

This morning in the Hacking, a legal reddie in the deep, then drifting with nippers for a trevally, just under whiting and just under flatties. Not worth a report, barely a feed.

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Spiro is selling pillies at that price.

I bought some of his bait prawns (fresh out of the Hawkesbury) that were fresh enough to cook up (the prawns were stored in ice in an esky). Some normal cooked prawns, and most of the rest cooked into a soup like dish. Just take a while to peel. The flavour is very nice.

Where were you the other night?

This morning in the Hacking, a legal reddie in the deep, then drifting with nippers for a trevally, just under whiting and just under flatties. Not worth a report, barely a feed.

i was drifting/ anchored once the current got strong between alfreds point bridge and mickeys point with some squid and Hawksbury prawns, Squid caught nothing, everything was on prawns. they are great sized too. 

Do you keep the shells or just turf them away?

I haven't really fished the hacking much recently, mostly the Georges for jew & bream. Ill be back there soon for hopefully a king or two. 

Spiro sells his salted pillies $13/kg, 1kg bags iqf $10 and 2kg blocks for $15. I'm usually the ones who salt the things & sometimes bottle up the left over juices into a plastic bottle and mix with bread for a awesome burley. 

8 hours ago, Restyle said:

i was drifting/ anchored once the current got strong between alfreds point bridge and mickeys point with some squid and Hawksbury prawns, Squid caught nothing, everything was on prawns. they are great sized too. 

Do you keep the shells or just turf them away?

I haven't really fished the hacking much recently, mostly the Georges for jew & bream. Ill be back there soon for hopefully a king or two. 

Spiro sells his salted pillies $13/kg, 1kg bags iqf $10 and 2kg blocks for $15. I'm usually the ones who salt the things & sometimes bottle up the left over juices into a plastic bottle and mix with bread for a awesome burley. 

The hacking is not really firing too well just yet. Not a bream at all yesterday around Lilli Pilli where I was drifting.

Should be some kingies about, further up river, though I do not target them.

I keep the prawn shells and heads, freeze them, then use them for burley in the deep water. At times the prawn scraps  just bring on the little reddies, when you pull them up they are spitting out the prawn heads.

1 hour ago, kobi caught a fish said:

Yesterday I went fishing with Isaac ct and a couple of our mates in the Porthacking and we got a small cobia. Hopefully this is a good sign for the rest of the year.535650EA-4170-405C-97B5-B4BAB9309B1C.thumb.jpeg.92cd2baed9e14d0a7d945977428052be.jpeg

Good to see a cobia this early in the season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kobi caught a fish said:

Yesterday I went fishing with Isaac ct and a couple of our mates in the Porthacking and we got a small cobia. Hopefully this is a good sign for the rest of the year.535650EA-4170-405C-97B5-B4BAB9309B1C.thumb.jpeg.92cd2baed9e14d0a7d945977428052be.jpeg

What a shock, the worst fisho out of the group of us got it. There were 4 of us and I was the only one not to land a pufferfish. One of them would've been close to 30 cm in diameter after blowing up. A nice bream and a nice whiting also. Flatties eluded us, although I got a few nice hits. Had a big longtom go crazy and lost a bigger fish that Kobi reckons was a small king or something. 

2 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

What a shock, the worst fisho out of the group of us got it. There were 4 of us and I was the only one not to land a pufferfish. One of them would've been close to 30 cm in diameter after blowing up. A nice bream and a nice whiting also. Flatties eluded us, although I got a few nice hits. Had a big longtom go crazy and lost a bigger fish that Kobi reckons was a small king or something. 

haha its always like that! Ive had so many times where id take a newbie squidding & id catch sweet old nothing while the newbie would pull in 2+ squid just dangling the jig over the side of the wharf!

Where'd you fish? by the looks of the sand northwest arm