South of Port Hacking

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

headed out today with a mate - we fished around the bommie and then further south.

Plenty of baitfish around - but nothing much biting around the reefs. We tried live baiting, trolling along the cliffs as well as plastics but nothing of note. Other than catching a bunch of large fat slimies.

Hit up the flathead drift - plenty of good sized fish where we were, only thing the current was 3-4klm/h and we pretty much had half a minute of drop to hook a fish before the drift lifted our baits - even with heavy sinkers.

my mate caught 1 flatty, and I caught 8 around 45cm - only one small one at 36 in the mix. Gave 3 to my mate to take. He did catch a bunch of large slimies - he likes to marinade and then sun dry them out into jerky. He made some for me to try - they were actually very nice.
Mine I’ve put in the salter, to make strip baits for next trip out.

7386E9B8-043D-48DE-9E6F-B1476019E21A.thumb.jpeg.91b09c99004b673ff944d5ac365a07f3.jpeg76B9D836-36C7-4B51-81EC-2B3731EE9144.thumb.jpeg.a7fa6c542a51faad34d6f1ef13f4bc80.jpeg

• Like 12

15 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Larkin

fillets and baits!

Thanks Rob,

good old dependable flathead - always a good fallback

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Another great report and some good eating fish. Can’t complain about that.

That’s an interesting way to prepare the slimies… very similar to smoking. 

I think Yowie was out there as well. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks zoran! 

we were out there from around 5.30, so @Yowie probably came past us, but there were a heap of boats out there yesterday.

my mate was born in Russia - a lot of Eastern Europeans/Russians/Scandinavians eat mackerel this way. First time I’ve tried it - and quite tasty. Told him it looks like dried bait - he said take it out with you and try it on the fish -  we ended up eating it out there 😂 

It’s salty, and goes really well with a cold beer!

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Top haul.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel 👍

a few fillets for the family.

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

These flatties are a good size for fillets. The drift was slightly faster at Little Marley than near the bombie, even with no wind.

I like them around 45-50. These were bang on 45, so wasn’t complaining. Only one other boat on the drift when we went - just too fast at that time - but got a feed

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Larkin, nice bag of fish.

All set for next time

Thanks Isaac, getting the baits ready to try on the mahi - last season the salted baits went alright.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great bag of fish.

Can’t go wrong with a handful of blue spots 

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

I was out there around 5.15am.

one day I’ll run into you out there 

2 hours ago, blaxland said:

Looks like you handy with the fillet knife nice clean work there,

a good knife helps - the victorinox swibo 16cm curved flex is what I found works best for me. Have Victory and gherber too

On 12/27/2022 at 9:11 PM, Larkin said:

Hit up the flathead drift - plenty of good sized fish where we were, only thing the current was 3-4klm/h and we pretty much had half a minute of drop to hook a fish before the drift lifted our baits - even with heavy sinkers

Try a sea anchor to slow the drift

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:11 PM, Larkin said:

Gday Raiders,

headed out today with a mate - we fished around the bommie and then further south.

Plenty of baitfish around - but nothing much biting around the reefs. We tried live baiting, trolling along the cliffs as well as plastics but nothing of note. Other than catching a bunch of large fat slimies.

Hit up the flathead drift - plenty of good sized fish where we were, only thing the current was 3-4klm/h and we pretty much had half a minute of drop to hook a fish before the drift lifted our baits - even with heavy sinkers.

my mate caught 1 flatty, and I caught 8 around 45cm - only one small one at 36 in the mix. Gave 3 to my mate to take. He did catch a bunch of large slimies - he likes to marinade and then sun dry them out into jerky. He made some for me to try - they were actually very nice.
Mine I’ve put in the salter, to make strip baits for next trip out.

7386E9B8-043D-48DE-9E6F-B1476019E21A.thumb.jpeg.91b09c99004b673ff944d5ac365a07f3.jpeg76B9D836-36C7-4B51-81EC-2B3731EE9144.thumb.jpeg.a7fa6c542a51faad34d6f1ef13f4bc80.jpeg

In Greece they sun dry them then bbq them, not bad at all, they call it Gouna 

btw ive met you on the water once and was next to you this same day as well6a00d8341bfcac53ef01310fd4096e970c-600wi.jpg.8226d5b94d231fe3ac9319ba8d83a836.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:18 PM, cruisecraft said:

Try a sea anchor to slow the drift

Hi cruisecraft - I have one on board, but when I think of all that extra effort and another thing I have to rinse afterwards - I’m just plain lazy to deploy 😂

1 hour ago, Basil D said:

In Greece they sun dry them then bbq them, not bad at all, they call it Gouna 

btw ive met you on the water once and was next to you this same day as well6a00d8341bfcac53ef01310fd4096e970c-600wi.jpg.8226d5b94d231fe3ac9319ba8d83a836.jpg

Does look good 👍 

Where abouts/spot did we chat last time? Trying to remember 
That was you fishing with your wife on the outside of the bommie in that nice boat?

All I was getting there were those slimies - at least they were decent sized.

how’d you go? Any luck

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Well done on the Flatties and slimies, seems like there were plenty of fish biting today.

Thanks Bob,

plenty of bait around - no kingies around where I was - well at least I didn’t get any action - but did find schools of rats on the south Sydney fads last week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hi cruisecraft - I have one on board, but when I think of all that extra effort and another thing I have to rinse afterwards - I’m just plain lazy to deploy 😂

Does look good 👍 

Where abouts/spot did we chat last time? Trying to remember 
That was you fishing with your wife on the outside of the bommie in that nice boat?

All I was getting there were those slimies - at least they were decent sized.

how’d you go? Any luck

Thanks Bob,

plenty of bait around - no kingies around where I was - well at least I didn’t get any action - but did find schools of rats on the south Sydney fads last week.

yeah I was in the Gun metal grey boat with my wife, and last time was a few months ago i was with a mate on the same boat, we where drifting further north of cronulla sea side of bate bay, no luck on the snapper this day with my wife , went back in to Bundeena for a coffee and swim , I did get a stonker 8 days ago on mates boat 321436084_853754549228114_2333776546244270406_n.thumb.jpg.b3dd730cf7ca2b2ebfb3f753e5219e28.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Basil D said:

yeah I was in the Gun metal grey boat with my wife, and last time was a few months ago i was with a mate on the same boat, we where drifting further north of cronulla sea side of bate bay, no luck on the snapper this day with my wife , went back in to Bundeena for a coffee and swim , I did get a stonker 8 days ago on mates boat 321436084_853754549228114_2333776546244270406_n.thumb.jpg.b3dd730cf7ca2b2ebfb3f753e5219e28.jpg

Yeah, I remember. I knew I had seen your boat before. Looked like your wife was doing all the fishing this time 😉

That’s a good snapper!