2023 goes off with a bang & “King Hit”

Pickles

Headed out extra early (didn’t really want to go on a public holiday, but a buddy was desperate & Mrs Pickles gave me a leave pass) and hit the water at 5am. Straight to the bait grounds and filled up with live Yakkas in double quick time and directly to Manly reef, then Longie wide and we had a “Rat Attack “, after 31 Kingies (mostly all around 62-65).  Wed had enough,  (doesn’t happen that often)so headed off to flattie grounds. 5 or 6 kayaks saw as hooking up & started doing laps around us (don’t mind at all and gave them a few Yakkas as all they had were pillies and Yakkas were doing the damage) . The last kingie was a 63cm rat with a chewed tail- maybe a seal??.

We headed off to the flathead grounds & drifted for an hour and boated a dozen nice flatties, biggest going 63cm and twice as many “spikies”. We got monstered a massive school of slimies which we’re taking our 5/0 flattie hooks (kept a few to BBQ & bait tomorrow).

A great start to 2023. (TYJ).

528C5CA6-7AC1-47A1-9B40-F2DD2138AAF8.jpeg

8D8F6C46-75B2-424D-ADFD-35297C05773C.jpeg

796E97F6-3ED0-447B-868C-EFDB2F755B83.jpeg

• Like 24

suspect banana mate might have to have fisheries investigate you mr Pickles .I saw you out there today mate (tuesday) near sow and pigs chatting to the blue charter boat .was going to say hi but you were yakka filling your bait tank like me and then you were gone , cheers dunc333

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hads said:

Great report Bob.

Feels like forever since I’ve landed a legal Kingy.

A nice feed of flathead and good day out on the water is certainly great way to start the New year.

Well get into them on 11th (Mrs Pickles birthday, so if we leave early, we’ll get some fishing time in- will be in touch)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

suspect banana mate might have to have fisheries investigate you mr Pickles .I saw you out there today mate (tuesday) near sow and pigs chatting to the blue charter boat .was going to say hi but you were yakka filling your bait tank like me and then you were gone , cheers dunc333

Just now, Pickles said:

Well get into them on 11th (Mrs Pickles birthday, so if we leave early, we’ll get some fishing time in- will be in touch)

Cheers Dunc, Charter boys didn’t do any good today and we didn’t get to do much fishing as my mates boat (buddy whose 4 boys Itaught and were all out today - some on my boat some on his) had serious motor issues due to minimal use, so we stuck together and couldn’t do any serious fishing😞😞 ) so nothing to report.

8 hours ago, fatcat531 said:

Hey mate, impressive stuff.  I've had real trouble getting onto yakkas in recent weeks.  Any chance I can ask where your bait grounds are?  I've been burling up and using squid and bits of chicken fillet but not luck!!

Cheers

No worries @fatcat531, there is an extensive and detailed outline n the archives, but if you try the Centurian wreck off Quarrantine station near Canae Pt, there are not only Yakkas, but also slimey mackerel most of the time. The other spot is George’s corner. A third place they are nearly always available is directly off George’s Head, just around from Middle Head. Burley is essential and no 8 or 10 “Mosquito hooks” on 6lb momno with no sinker, but a swivel.

I hope this helps. (If you still can’t get on to them send me a PM and we can organise to get out and I’ll show you (but not a weekend).

Bob (Pickles)

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No worries @fatcat531, there is an extensive and detailed outline n the archives, but if you try the Centurian wreck off Quarrantine station near Canae Pt, there are not only Yakkas, but also slimey mackerel most of the time. The other spot is George’s corner. A third place they are nearly always available is directly off George’s Head, just around from Middle Head. Burley is essential and no 8 or 10 “Mosquito hooks” on 6lb momno with no sinker, but a swivel.

I hope this helps. (If you still can’t get on to them send me a PM and we can organise to get out and I’ll show you (but not a weekend).

Bob (Pickles)

Legend, thanks Pickles!!

6 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Bob, plenty of yakkas at the fridge last week, nice bite size ones too-filled the tank in 15 minutes.

Haven’t stopped at the fridge for quite a while, good to know they are back there 😊