Bimini upgrade

BaitDropper

I I wanted to construct a hard top of sorts, but decided against it in the end and went back to a rag top.

Used a local south coast guy, who arrives with his truck, all kitted out with aluminium bending equipment, sewing machines, canopy hardware racks etc and away they go.

It took 2 guys around 4 hours to custom make the Bimini at my house, was very impressed with there truck set up and the way they did the job, in my opinion, a quality job.

I'd been making do with an old collapsible version, to tight to splash out for a new one, but after a windy and wet night session up the river, getting totally drenched. decided it was time.

Not spruking the company or anything, just didn't realise there were companies out there that did these mobile. In Fact, he was considerably cheaper than his competitors which I would have had to take the boat too..

Anyway, just thought I'd share...

IMG_0377.JPG

• Like 5

Hi Donna,

I thought so too.. He's been doing it for near 25 years, after initially operating from a workshop, he sold that and invested in his mobile truck and has been doing that for some time now.

He has a long wait time, as I found out, especially heading into Xmas as well, he told me he hardly advertises as the need out there for a mobile service is huge.

I was stunned as to the actual time it took them, most of the shops were quoting 3-4 days minimum, I kept an eagle eye on how things went and wanted to make sure the job they did was good, I couldn't be more happier. A few mates have since cast the critical eyes over their work and all were impressed.

The best thing about all this, was not having to lug the boat to someone's workshop, leave it with them then having to return to pick it up.  I guess with less overheads, he can afford to be cheaper than other non mobile mobs, but some I got quotes from were up to 1K more....

Edited by BaitDropper

There is one around here been doing it for decades, he sold the business years ago because of health reasons, but the work they do from the "back of a truck" is fantastic, I have had a few things done by them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

There is one around here been doing it for decades, he sold the business years ago because of health reasons, but the work they do from the "back of a truck" is fantastic, I have had a few things done by them.

I was impressed with there truck set up, there  sewing machines inside. had a huge collapsible table, then the 2 sides of the truck, were hinged, which when opened, gave them more room for bigger stuff, kind of like an awning. There pipe bending machine, fitted on the side of the truck, which gave him plenty of room for the larger pieces of tubing to bend. I wanted to take some photo's of his set up, but didn't want to appear to be getting in his way.

It takes a lot to impress me, but this bloke and his set up, certainly did. 

It's just great that there are still businesses around like this, offering this type of service. The first mobile guy that I was given a number for, I started ringing in May last year, leaving messages etc, a few months after first ringing him, I rang again, to hear a message saying he was no longer answering his phone and to Email him, which I did,, I still haven't heard back !! he was based near Albion park from memory.

It's nice to see that there are some businesses out there, doing quality work and that do get back to you when you ring...

1 hour ago, Plethora said:

BaitDropper

By the way, how much did it roughly set you back ?

Cost me $1800 Plethora. There was a fair bit of sewing work needed as he shaped around my 6 tubes of the rocket launcher, I can take some more shots of his work when the rain stops if needed, my side on Pic doesn't do it justice.  Had prices range from $2200 thru to just under 3k, with photo's provided, but they couldn't confirm a price until I towed the boat in, fair enough. This bloke received a photo then said $1800 was the average price, clears all round. When finished he said yeah, my average price stands.

I was pondering over the idea to give this whole thing a go myself ( sucker for punishment ) I'm glad I didn't follow thru with it..