Snapper, Kingies, Bonito & spotties - South West Rocks

Pickles

Having our (usually) annual pilgrimage to SWR in 3 years, hopefully to get into some spotted and striped mackerel. Unfortunately the only spotty bit the line off (should have been using wire), but a great / short fight. Boated a feed though - Pearl perch, snapper, 2 Cobia (also a great fight) and heaps of Bonito. Live bait was really hard as the local goss is a trawler had “swept” the area the week before we arrived.

I also went to the “dark side” and had (so far) 2 brilliant SCUBA dives off up and through, Fish Rock with great visibility of 10-12m and water temp of 26c. Lots of Trevally, Snapper,  Kingies and counted 32 Grey Nurse sharks and a few whalers, turtles, dolphins, heaps of lobsters in the tunnel - too many to count. Needless to say, I didn’t talk about fishing to other divers as the two parties of zealots don’t talk to each other (not amiably anyway).

Sorry only one pic. Hoping to have a report on Friday after an outing on ‘Jacks with Raider legend @dirvin21

B602034E-A834-462A-9C92-1569EBDD05E5.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Addition
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, noelm said:

Spotties are great eating, as are Cobia, not too sure a Trawler would have any affect if bait fish, especially if it was a week ago!

Quite right about eating qualities of cobes and spotties and great fighters too 

A great report from the MNC Bob. Hope that you and Dave have a successful fish for Jacks on Friday. Don't forget the bananas LOL A long time since I've fished at SWR but it used to be a regular July event to chase the Tailor as they migrated to Fraser Island for their annual breeding sojourn. From memory, we used to park near the caravan park and walk over the track where we could climb down the steep rock face to a place where there was a gutter created by a small island about 20m out. Great fishing using pillies on gang hooks.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 4:41 AM, big Neil said:

A great report from the MNC Bob. Hope that you and Dave have a successful fish for Jacks on Friday. Don't forget the bananas LOL A long time since I've fished at SWR but it used to be a regular July event to chase the Tailor as they migrated to Fraser Island for their annual breeding sojourn. From memory, we used to park near the caravan park and walk over the track where we could climb down the steep rock face to a place where there was a gutter created by a small island about 20m out. Great fishing using pillies on gang hooks.

Cheers, bn

Cheers Neil, some of those winter tailor are stonkers.