A lovely session with a rare catch

I had a lovely session on the Murrumbidgee today. I launched at the nearest boat ramp today, determined to do some serious exploring. The river has changed totally post floods and I sought to see if I could improve my catch rate significantly. Alas, no I can't. The information gathered further endorsed the new difficulties trying to catch fish, post - floods. The river is still quite high and running really fast. The fish are very well-fed and not actively seeking food. Indeed they are in very healthy condition.

I traveled a long way upstream to a likely-looking spot. I fished for an hour without a single bite. The next spot looked equally as good and it was here that I finally got a bite. To my amazement, I caught a 32cm Silver Perch. In 20 years of fishing this area, I have never caught one in this section of the river... haven't heard of anybody else catching one in this particular stretch of river.

IMG_4232rs.thumb.jpg.b8576b78744dd1c875d5ae952e43405b.jpg

That was the only bite at that spot, nothing at the next spot then this 52cm Murray Cod at the last spot.

IMG_4239rs.thumb.jpg.bc6ee77874bb0ba5ae28906a72066ae3.jpg

some of the new snags I found and some trees ready to drop into the river real soon.

IMG_4235rs.thumb.jpg.b9ada5129ff316b47143af854804679d.jpg

IMG_4234rs.thumb.jpg.53b7b33b593fb3e3e22b30615ab71df7.jpg

IMG_4242rs.thumb.jpg.931049d88aba9f41c41fee76c97531f3.jpg

IMG_4231rs.thumb.jpg.b126072defd56d7cb394da5b8e628962.jpg

Thanks for reading, bn

Edited by big Neil
typo
  • Like 21

17 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Great report Neil. It's surprising where you find silvers... we even have a self sustaining population in my local, the Nepean River.

Yep, I remember chatting to an old bloke a few years back who was releasing a bunch of them into the upper Nepean. He had rescued them from his dam that was drying up during the drought.

I suspect this on may have found it’s way into the system in a similar fashion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

A top report Neil - perch looks like a big healthy fish. We’re you on lures / SP’s?
River looks very healthy and clean.

No Bob I was bait fishing. I seldom lure fish when solo fishing. It is far too difficult to try to retrieve snagged lures when the river is running fast. I caught both fish on cheese baits, with a running sinker straight down to the hook. This rig is least likely to get snagged, but I still lose a lot of gear... especially since the floods have produced many more snags.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1