Botany bay kingfish Wednesday

Restyle

Gday raiders, went out Wednesday morning (8/03/2023) to target some kingfish & other pelagic that may also be around. Weather was set to be perfect with a very slight offshore breeze & N/E swell which meant very little swell inside the northern section of botany bay.

Armed with some fresh squid caught a few nights earlier and 5 yakkas for bait, i dropped the kayak in at yarra bay sailing club at around 5.40 and spent the next 10-20 minutes full speed over to the area I was going to fish. Full speed in the hobie is 8km/hr & the water was perfect, 24.somthing degrees, almost complete glass & zero wind at all. Felt like it was going to be a perfect day!

Once anchored, adjusted my sinkers to the conditions as the current was a little strong along Molineux because of the incoming tide & had my baits out by 6:10. 

image.thumb.jpeg.30d9275816cee982e6a04b6e4f53374e.jpeg

First hook-up was at 6.46am followed by, 7.03am, 7.33, 7.34am, 7.39am & 7.51am All on squid strips and sitting around 55cm. Live bait was bitten in half just before the gills. The bite went a little quiet throughout 8am, so id stirred up a idea of dropping down a squid strip on a 1/0 hook on my 1kg squidding rod & after about a minute on the bottom it loads up with another rat but after 10 minutes of fighting the fish the line gives out. Also had 2 other missed hook-ups just afterwards on the other rods.  

Live bait rod buckles over just on 9am which resulted in a 61cm king. 

A school of small Watson's bonnies turned up and caught a few of those on my light rod. they were about 30-40cms in length and all went back. Landed 2 more kings afterwards which got no pics off and were both in the high 50's again, and dropped 2 more before running out of all bait & heading in at 10am. 

9 kings landed, 4 lost. 

image.png.d98394f9019ab70f75eae96e49e08dd7.pngimage.png.0a53cbe10afc249e7e9ec9bdf7106c34.pngimage.png.98a217ce403d6c37e6e1218873aaf6e5.pngimage.thumb.png.34fcbdffb4d1277d637ee315d5b40671.png

image.png.f9089f847bfc2b45003e4e0019d11cc3.pngimage.png.ef48481460ddcfd9a1ad97512a1ea57f.pngimage.png.3f54e1c367acbea681d4d54ae76363a3.png

image.thumb.jpeg.e1828391d9cd6ad7de0156cbe47d7acc.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Well done @Restyle  .. some early morning arm exercises 💪 are always good. Love the sunrise shots. 
cheers Z

arm exercise is no exaggeration especially when sitting down in the kayak, its all arms. when the rod on the left side goes off i cramp up every time. its not my dominant side. 

can never beat a cloudless sunrise! 

26 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice stuff, good day out.

Well done

looking like a good day tommrow too! 

Id like to also pass my thanks to @mrsswordfishermanfor correcting my miss spelling of Wednesday in the title 

• Like 1

Jam packed session!

Good fun fighting them on a squid rod! Sometimes when I’m fishing for bait a small king takes the bait, and it’s time to hold on.

Were many people out on the water in the bay?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Jam packed session!

Good fun fighting them on a squid rod! Sometimes when I’m fishing for bait a small king takes the bait, and it’s time to hold on.

Were many people out on the water in the bay?

cheers mate, there were a few guys going out, but at the wall itself there were 5 other boats around me. not as busy as expected. 

Nice work with the kingies.

Down here at Pambula, bugger all off the beach, a mass of small pieces of weed, and I mean tonnes of it. Tried up the river for a couple of hours. One bite on a cooked prawn head, pippies no good, soft plastics no good. Talking to the owner of a tackle shop in Eden, the fishing is dead. Water temp down, weed stirred up after a gale like nor-easter early in the week.

• Sad 2

A top report Restyle, accompanied by some lovely sun-up pics and a blow-by-blow account of your fishing experience. Being very unstable on my feet, I really admire you guys that take to the waters in kayaks. This form of angling adds another dimension to the exercise of chasing down spirited pelagic species. I can't do it myself, but I can certainly appreciate those who can. Top stuff, bn

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice work with the kingies.

Down here at Pambula, bugger all off the beach, a mass of small pieces of weed, and I mean tonnes of it. Tried up the river for a couple of hours. One bite on a cooked prawn head, pippies no good, soft plastics no good. Talking to the owner of a tackle shop in Eden, the fishing is dead. Water temp down, weed stirred up after a gale like nor-easter early in the week.

Wow that sucks big time, but at least you’ve been out and given it a crack!. Atleast you’ll also have plenty of nice scenery around you to enjoy and kick back and relax. 
been a few Bonnie’s around gymea on pillie cubes from what I’ve seen though. 
hopefully you’ll have a cracker session in the port when you return, because fab won’t be catching them

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Chris and excellent effort on the kings - a perfect day to go wide. We’re they squid you caught - squid have been really tough in Sydney harbour of late.

Cheers mate, confused me with Larkin I see 😂, I catch my squid in yowie bay, all are arrows but are around in pretty good numbers as of late. Average about 4 a session.  Green eye have been very hit and miss throughout Sydney it seems, no idea why.

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

A top report Restyle, accompanied by some lovely sun-up pics and a blow-by-blow account of your fishing experience. Being very unstable on my feet, I really admire you guys that take to the waters in kayaks. This form of angling adds another dimension to the exercise of chasing down spirited pelagic species. I can't do it myself, but I can certainly appreciate those who can. Top stuff, bn

Cheers Neil, always enjoy a good sunrise/sunset, hobie pro angler kayaks are extremely stable. They have a fairly flat bottom which gives them the stability. Your usually sitting down the whole time but after 6 hrs you’d just want to sand up for 5 minutes to have a stretch or goto the toilet. Should give it a crack one day, try something new.

• Haha 2

Hey there - Launching at Yarra Bay Sailing Club - I guess early morning the gate is open but for retrieving later in the day (especially the weekend) is the gate normally locked closed.. I heard you have to be a member of the club to gain access to the key - Do you know if this is true. Last time I was there the lug across the sand and up the driveway near killed me.

10 hours ago, StrexLex said:

Hey there - Launching at Yarra Bay Sailing Club - I guess early morning the gate is open but for retrieving later in the day (especially the weekend) is the gate normally locked closed.. I heard you have to be a member of the club to gain access to the key - Do you know if this is true. Last time I was there the lug across the sand and up the driveway near killed me.

i never launch on the weekend but have found the gate to be unlocked every time I've gone there during the weekday