Upcoming Election in NSW

As everyone knows there is an election coming very soon in NSW , as a fishing community we need to be mindful of the various parties views and policies on rec fishing. Certain parties (AJP and Greens ) will use every means they have to restrict and even close down rec fishing. Other parties have strong views on expanding access , providing additional funding and helping our chosen recreation grow. Have a look in a couple of other states and have a look at what is happening (Qld with spanish mackeral and WA with just about everything) and decide are these genuine attempts at fisheries management or driven by a certain ideology (I have my views). 

Remember who was behind the push to create the Sydney marine park and who was the main driver in preventing it happening (Stop The Lockout and the SFFP). The coalition got the suprise of their lives when we got up and protested.

We all need to remember the past , have a look at what may well happen and be very careful with our vote and preference flow. We also need to be mindful of advising our friends and family that love animals that part of the AJP platform is to remove pets from "human ownership" . People with these views wont just stop at banning hunting , they move to fishing, then farming , then pets and they will use every bit of political leverage they can get.

Choose carefully everyone.

• Like 3

Yup and don’t be a lazy voter - take the time to read the ballot paper and identify the parties that will help us and those that wish us gone then make sure you number them as to your preference. 

To add to the mix-heard a rumour today that certain parts of the political left think they have a very good chance to shut Montague Island to fishing AND diving. Hopefully a rumour but as i said before -they will never stop.

16 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

To add to the mix-heard a rumour today that certain parts of the political left think they have a very good chance to shut Montague Island to fishing AND diving. Hopefully a rumour but as i said before -they will never stop.

well they have to start somewhere, and once they get these seemingly small wins the marine parks will spread like a disease 

36 minutes ago, Restyle said:

well they have to start somewhere, and once they get these seemingly small wins the marine parks will spread like a disease 

30% of NSW waters are marine parks. Sydney is the only region missing one. We nearly got one under the LNP - imagine what would happen if Labor got in and they need the support of the Greens. They are already boasting about a list of demands. 

28 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

30% of NSW waters are marine parks. Sydney is the only region missing one. We nearly got one under the LNP - imagine what would happen if Labor got in and they need the support of the Greens. They are already boasting about a list of demands. 

yeah that number will double, and no doubt those who dont pay attention to new and upcoming regulations will get zapped by unknowingly fishing these areas. JB is a joke with the marine parks

We have a bigger enemy - the animal justice party . The greens want marine parks , the AJP want to stop us fishing all together . This is why it is vitally important that all rec fishos choose their preferences , usually you can vote one above the line or number all below and the two main parties are hoping you are lazy and choose one above the line option as they can then do deals to get into government . If you number everything below the line you choose your preferences not the government. Make it count it is your sport / recreation and lifestyle that is at stake and as far as I know pre poll voting opens tomorrow and runs for the next 6 days . I am a little disillusioned with the sffp at the moment - haven’t heard one peep from them to find out what the policies are from either labour or lnp in regards to rec fishing - even a simple guarantee that there will be no more marine parks or lockouts would have been better than nothing - which is about as much as I have heard .

• Like 1

I'm not normally a person who likes to be spoon-fed somebodies agenda, especially when it comes to local, state, or federal elections. However, I also have a personal belief that we, as a society, are more susceptible than ever before, to the amount of influence that minorities hold once elected. It is not a coincidence that we have more representation of said minority groups today, than ever before. Many opportunists seek to have their share of the perceived "cushy life as a politician". Many see their path to fame and glory as being a single issue that they become passionate about. But beware! Politics is much bigger than ANY SINGLE ISSUE.

I'm not going to tell anybody who they should or should not vote for, but I am going to suggest that we all look at the potential impact that certain represented parties have, relevant to our chosen sport (fishing). This forum exists for us all to share our passion for our sport of choice. We all contribute or have contributed, to the overall lifestyles which we have today. We have earned the right to disagree with those who would wish to limit or completely ban our sport. Carefully consider your options, when you vote, and number your preferences to reflect your choices. It may take a few minutes longer, but it will have more impact

I will be putting certain represented parties right at the bottom of my voting preferences.

Regards, bn

• Like 3

12 hours ago, XD351 said:

We have a bigger enemy - the animal justice party . The greens want marine parks , the AJP want to stop us fishing all together . This is why it is vitally important that all rec fishos choose their preferences , usually you can vote one above the line or number all below and the two main parties are hoping you are lazy and choose one above the line option as they can then do deals to get into government . If you number everything below the line you choose your preferences not the government. Make it count it is your sport / recreation and lifestyle that is at stake and as far as I know pre poll voting opens tomorrow and runs for the next 6 days . I am a little disillusioned with the sffp at the moment - haven’t heard one peep from them to find out what the policies are from either labour or lnp in regards to rec fishing - even a simple guarantee that there will be no more marine parks or lockouts would have been better than nothing - which is about as much as I have heard .

A well-constructed argument you put forward XD351. bn

One party making promises we know they will never keep ( although it looks like they have at least made an attempt at writing a reasonable offer ) and the other sounds like something slapped together by a committee of chimpanzees - more audits , consulting of so called experts and relevant parties ( the greens and ajp ?Maybe the dive industry ?)  and not so much as a mention of any funding . Didn’t we have recfish NSW ( something similar)many years ago ? Wasn’t that committee responsible for agreeing to the first marine parks ? Sorry if I sound a bit pessimistic but I have seen it all before ! On a brighter note - only 6 more days of listening to their crap :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, chris_55 said:

@XD351 I believe that was when Bob Carr was premier and he closed lots of

locations for National Park expansion and Marine parks

I think the marine parks came along later, under Iiemma. He gave a speech to a bunch of green groups about it - congratulating them over their 'informed advocacy'. 

• Like 1

Bob Carr the Premier who doesn't drive a car & expects everybody else to do the same.

The same Bob Carr who banned Jet Ski's from Syney Harbour.

Also gave the Motor Gp to Victoria.

I won't go on.

Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Bob Carr the Premier who doesn't drive a car & expects everybody else to do the same.

I won't go on.

Cheers.

Many years ago on a radio station I heard a comedy skit about Bob Carr - It was called the Bob Carr alarm- In the skit  a couple of car thieves broke into a car and the Bob Carr alarm went off rendering the thieves immediately unconscious 😂 The alarm sound was just Bob Carr talking and that was all it took 😂 He was the cure for insomnia of the most dire kind 😂

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

I won't go on.

Cheers.

At least he said Sydney was full and has continuously spoken out against a Big Australia.