A good days fishing until...

Well, what a day. I headed to the river at gentleman's hours for a few hours of fishing. I was still trying to work out how best to catch Cod since last year's floods. Water was fairly murky and 19.2c

The launch pad and my little tinny...

;IMG20230331090709rs.thumb.jpg.2190600d9312fbfc3b7446beebc86458.jpg

This bridge was almost underwater in December. The river has dropped about 10 metres.

IMG20230331090717rs.thumb.jpg.53ea9f905a2c73d3952ab9efcd61fba7.jpg

This was all underwater.

IMG20230331090722rs.thumb.jpg.167934f63796730909c1dad8c71b5564.jpg

IMG20230331091913rs.jpg.44bae1841166d16e3f0b767c67d8d239.jpg

I tried fishing the middle of the river instead of the edges and it produced results during the bite window.

IMG20230310115856rs.jpg.0a5c4fd59d64c073180430e8115534db.jpg

IMG20230331102840rs.jpg.99c62674a4299f78f9174258849092c2.jpg

Scored 3 Cod, 2 of which were just under legal size of 55cms.

I worked my way back downstream towards the boat ramp and tried 1 last spot which I have never bait fished before. I lost heaps of tackle and made up some paternoster rigs as I waited for bites. After 1 bust off I decided to use one of my good baitcast outfits. I slipped the paternoster rig onto the clip and cast in, right out in the middle of the river. With no prior notice, the rod took off into the river, in a millisecond. It was like watching something happening in slow motion, yet far too quick for me to save it. A $600 baitcast rod and reel hit the water and submerged like a torpedo. GUTTED to say the least.

bn

IMG20230317082727rs.jpg

Edited by big Neil
Removal of wrong photo.
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Unlucky about the rod neil   maybe drag an anchor around general area

Too many snags Rick, would be a total waste of time. Lesson learned the hard way. Luckily I have plenty of fishing gear, I suppose. bn

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice fish but unlucky about the lost rod BN. Perhaps it’s time to set up a few tethers to prevent it happening again.

My own stupid fault really. I have a lot of rod holders around the boat but sometimes they don't get used because of how I manage to tie the boat up in the current. And the direction that I end up fishing. No excuses other than stupidity. Might be a valuable lesson learned in the long run. bn

1 hour ago, Hill373737 said:

Good to see you getting a couple of nice cod BN but feel for you losing the rod! I get pretty narky just losing a lure!

I know what you mean, especially if it's one that produces constant results. I'm just a twit and may have to learn the hard way. bn

That last photo shouldn't be in the post, it's the Trout Cod I caught last trip. bn

Just now, frankS said:

Time to do a bit of magnet fishing. Hope you remember the area the rod was lost.

Easiest way to recover a lost outfit and it won't cost you a lot of dollars to get a decent magnet.

Frank

I honestly don't think anything would work Frank. The bottom of the river, since the floods, must resemble the World Trade Centre after 9/11. I just hope that the fish doesn't end up dying as a result of dragging the gear round behind it. It will probably snag up on something. Thanks for the suggestion though. bn

42 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I know what you mean, especially if it's one that produces constant results. I'm just a twit and may have to learn the hard way. bn

Since moving up here to Tamworth - I've managed to put a few lures in storage at Split Rock as well as in the Peel and the Namoi ...... and I've gotten used to the occasional swim to recover a lure. 🙂

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the rod and reel Neil but great photos again mate. 
I looked at some of my old photos of back in the day fishing the Edward and Wakool  and thought of your photos Neil. 
Good times they were.

• Like 2

Hi Neil bugger about the rod and good reel and you'll probably wonder how big the fish was too. I lost one like that at Yamba years ago on the first night of a 10 day trip, but mine only had a ball bearing Luderick reel not an expensive bc reel. Have seen a few go over out at the 'Peak' when guys left their jig in the water next to the boat while gaffing a mates fish. Hope it turns up for you.

On 3/31/2023 at 5:55 PM, frankS said:

Time to do a bit of magnet fishing. Hope you remember the area the rod was lost.

Easiest way to recover a lost outfit and it won't cost you a lot of dollars to get a decent magnet.

Frank

Great idea Frank!

• Like 2

Not good b.n. At least you pulled up a few cod.

I get annoyed losing some hooks and sinkers, as for a rod and reel :1taz:.    🤣

An excuse to purchase a better reel for next time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Neil bugger about the rod and good reel and you'll probably wonder how big the fish was too. I lost one like that at Yamba years ago on the first night of a 10 day trip, but mine only had a ball bearing Luderick reel not an expensive bc reel. Have seen a few go over out at the 'Peak' when guys left their jig in the water next to the boat while gaffing a mates fish. Hope it turns up for you.

Great idea Frank!

Lucky that it wasn't your rod Waza, it's very special to me. Still haven't christened it on a Cod but shouldn't be too long once I can arrange someone to go fishing with me.

Hope you're keeping well mate. Neil

• Like 1

Oh noooo, hope it wasn’t the new left hand wind that you lost. Same thing happened to me on a Kingie - terez rod and Thunnus reel 😞. The cod in he pic is a beauty though - well done mate.

• Like 1

Beautiful fish Neil! Well done on the catch.

Pitty about the rod and reel! I lost my gaff a couple of weeks ago - in that same slow mo way. Just out of reach to save it.

an excuse to hit the tackle store…

• Haha 1