Squid jigs on a paternoster rig

XD351

G’Day Raiders ,

I was watching this YouTube video yesterday and it struck me that I had never seen anyone fishing squid jigs on a paternoster rig like the guy I this video . I began to think this could be an answer to getting some of the big squid that inhabit flint and steel or a way of getting big soft plastics down deep in areas that have a bit of current , has anyone tried this ?

• Like 2

My brother in-law is 10,000 times better angler than me does this with great effect on the drift.He uses soft plastics drifting with a patternoster too.

The weirdest thing I’ve ever seen is a guy catch a squid with one of those squid spikes pierced through a hot dog with a ball sinker above it when I was on holidays.😂😂

I guess anything works at times hence people catching fish with bare hooks,using spoons as lures etc.

• Like 2

In the comments on the video a few mentioned they got a lot of tangles , maybe using too long a dropper ? I’m begining to think that connecting the jig or lure to a 3 way swivel with a lure snap might help to prevent this ,either that or really heavy stiff mono ?

I've tried soft plastics on a paternoster rig with my only success being small snapper and other random fish. Found that drifting over reefs and rocky patches quite effective and sometimes I might try putting bait on as well or baiting the soft plastics. Wouldn't ever say it's the most effective but it does work. 

I do quite like doing that method with squid jigs to as it allows me to use multiple sizes and colours and get down to the bottom a lot faster. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fab1 said:

My brother in-law is 10,000 times better angler than me does this with great effect on the drift.He uses soft plastics drifting with a patternoster too.

The weirdest thing I’ve ever seen is a guy catch a squid with one of those squid spikes pierced through a hot dog with a ball sinker above it when I was on holidays.😂😂

I guess anything works at times hence people catching fish with bare hooks,using spoons as lures etc.

Those squid spikes are meant to be quite effective with whiting or pillis. I haven't personally tried but did see some people using them to great success and asked the tackle shop about them and they said that they're worth using when the squids aren't hitting jigs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slothparade said:

Those squid spikes are meant to be quite effective with whiting or pillis. I haven't personally tried but did see some people using them to great success and asked the tackle shop about them and they said that they're worth using when the squids aren't hitting jigs 

I’ve seen people catching squid using pilly’s on them.One thing I know is they’re cheaper than some of the proper squid jigs.

• Like 1

i use a Posternoster Rig for squid regularly with rod in holder while I cast lures with another rod.  I rig with 2 tiny 3 way swivels and smallest twist on squid clips which allows different combos of size and colour jigs.  This allows jigs to be changed if they show a preference. Sinker is on loop at bottom and sinker size varied depending on depth and speed of drift.  Very effective at times and nothing lost if not working on the day.  Ron 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, campr said:

i use a Posternoster Rig for squid regularly with rod in holder while I cast lures with another rod.  I rig with 2 tiny 3 way swivels and smallest twist on squid clips which allows different combos of size and colour jigs.  This allows jigs to be changed if they show a preference. Sinker is on loop at bottom and sinker size varied depending on depth and speed of drift.  Very effective at times and nothing lost if not working on the day.  Ron 

Never heard of a squid clip - looks like I need to do some work on google ! 

I currently usually lob out a big plastic on a jig head and set it in a rod holder while I drift for flathead but found I lose a lot of tails , being able to run a paternoster rig means I don’t need such a big lure as the weight is not important anymore - I could run a half pound lead if I need and still use small plastics . The same goes for the squid jigs  and I can fish them in deeper water a little easier , the next problem is finding a reliable spot in the Hawkesbury/ broken bay/ Pittwater / Brisbane waters area to catch squid . Lion island , the pill boxes and the weed beds in Pittwater would seem to me to be likely spots .

Hey xd 351 ive been doing well on squid in pittwater lately ( it’s about all ive been good at) i normally start at the red chanel marker out in the middle where the depth drops off and drift back to the mouth and throw a bait out for flathead while you’re at it but be warned rays and sharks everywhere. If i get out Saturday i will try the paternoster on the squid 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

Hey xd 351 ive been doing well on squid in pittwater lately ( it’s about all ive been good at) i normally start at the red chanel marker out in the middle where the depth drops off and drift back to the mouth and throw a bait out for flathead while you’re at it but be warned rays and sharks everywhere. If i get out Saturday i will try the paternoster on the squid 

Awesome thanks mate !

Caught plenty on paternosters even in suprisingly shallow water, i usually have one out while drifting around and flicking a jig out with another rod.I just use same old jigs i use to catch them in the normal way.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 4:53 PM, PaddyT said:

Caught plenty on paternosters even in suprisingly shallow water, i usually have one out while drifting around and flicking a jig out with another rod.I just use same old jigs i use to catch them in the normal way.

Does this work shore based

• Like 1

I used to have 2 paternoster rigs on my kayak in rod holders and hold one rod with a jig straight through. Quite effective when fishing steady depth of 5m or more. Had a few triple hook ups when they are on!

• Like 1

Works well in deeper water, just need to be careful about snags as squid love weeds and rocky bottom. I tie a small loop just big enough to loop on the jigs so they can move around a bit.

Edited by Marky mark
  • Like 1