NRL 2023 Season Chat

Rebel

Bulldogs are such a mixed bag, there was some gossip that Gould has put the new coach “on notice” he flushed Trent Barret, chased Ciraldo, now he is skating on thin ice….as always, when there is “issues” in the front office, it ends up on the field.

• Like 1

Gus Gould admitted on the weekend there were problems in the Bulldogs camp. Mainly injuries.

It took him a long time to get Penrith firing. Time will tell.

I see Magurie ( ex Tigers ) is with the Raiders. Ricky must have some faith.

PLease explain..?

As a Southerner I was brought up on AFL.  Now that TV is national I watch a lot of RL and a bit of Union

2 things I just cannot comprehend about RL and I welcome an explanation.

1.  Following a TRY, the defending team gets to kick-out.  I see this as further penalising the  defending team.  They are just handing the ball back to the scoring team - in scoring range!  Some form of neutral contest in the centre (scrum, throw-in?) or alternate kick-in-to play (again from centre- similar to Netball after a goal is scored) would be (to me) fairer.

2 A Scrum:   There is no contest, 6 players from each side bend over touching each other.  Effectively they are just removed from the immediate passage of play as the ball is rolled to the feeding teams advantage.  Why bother? The effect is identical to a free kick.

I welcome my enlightenment.

The “who kicks off” has always been debated, but the set rules just state after scoring, you get the ball back, to date there has never been a compelling reason to change it (since 1908) the scrum in the past was a 50/50 chance, but a few injuries from collapsed scrums, the “need” to speed up play, has resulted in the scrum being just a simple feed the ball to your side affair, but, changing rules in a way alters the very fabric the game was built on, it’s getting “softer” by the year.

edit……the scoring team getting the ball back in a scoring position only happens with the latest trend of short kicks, if a decent kick is maintained, they get the ball way down field.

Edited by noelm
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Manly V ST.George  24--18

Manly nearly lost it.

Yep, I was at that game (not a Manly or Dragons fan) but my grand daughters were doing the half time entertainment, so I “had” to be there. It was a funny game, Dragons had all the field position, but couldn’t get over the line. A few contentious calls that Dragons fans have been ranting about, but……I think the right calls were made, kind of!.

The great Latrell was a dud last night, stood up in a one on one tackle like he was a rookie, then that dismal short drop out! At best he played with any purpose for 10 minutes. The commentators still raved about him of course. Unless something drastic changes, the Rabbits are cooked for the season.