NRL 2023 Season Chat

Rebel

I’m a long suffering tiger fan - when I was younger I used to hate players and teams but these days I just love watching every game , I feel privileged to have seen so many brilliant players take to the field over the last 40+ yrs . I can tell you I was cheering just as loud if not louder than anyone else when the bunnies won their last premiership!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, XD351 said:

I’m a long suffering tiger fan - when I was younger I used to hate players and teams but these days I just love watching every game , I feel privileged to have seen so many brilliant players take to the field over the last 40+ yrs . I can tell you I was cheering just as loud if not louder than anyone else when the bunnies won their last premiership!

You know what I was similar. My household when I was growing up was all about football and I did not get interested. 

I started to enjoy it when I was much older. The tipping comp makes me follow it these days. 

• Like 2

I've been a Raiders fan since their inception in 1982, both myself and my wife went to school with a number of players back then. Sure we've won a couple of flags...but omg can they be frustrating to follow . Particularly this and the last few years, but like all good supporters should, I stick with them through thick and thin. At least we get 2 points this week from the bye 🤣

• Like 2

It’s better than everyone feeling sorry for you !

Would love to see another Manly v Parra Gf !

Dunno what is going on at Parra - it was a bit of a fumble fest from them last night but Brisbane are looking pretty slick- I just hope they don’t  burn out before the finals ! Trying to tackle Haas is like trying to tackle a tiger tank ! 
I do hope RCG comes through his scans all clear - a fractured hip and a groin tear could see him out for a long time - these injuries take a long time to heal and can be a problem for the rest of their career.

I am as equally baffled by what is happening with the Cowboys ? I hope Kalyn ponga gets through the game 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

Warriors fan here (obviously), with the new citizenship rules all the Warriors players will be aussies soon enough anyway.

And @frankS to your point about it being “National” , how about the absurdity of Brad Thorn playing State of Origin and being an All Black too!  

I’m glad to see so many of the islanders playing for their birth countries in international league these days. Good for the game. Seemed every second car in Sydney was flying a Tonga or Samoa flag during the last cup, I love seeing the patriotism 

• Like 2

I think there's been a bit of " we'll allow a bit both ways if the player is of any class "  LOL.

The only requirement for state of origin, is where you played your first club game of league, Brad Thorn, and even Tony Carrol for that matter, did play their first club league game in Aussie, Thorn grew up playing union in NZ, but was snapped up pretty quick by league when he crossed the ditch. To his credit, he refused to be selected for the Kiwis, when he retired from the Kangaroo's when he went back, instead fulfilling his child hood dream of playing rugby for the Allblacks. Tony Carrol, swapped countries as soon as he missed selection for the Kangaroo's.  There has been many many players from across the ditch following Thorns path and also those that have already played tests for NZ and Aussie that switched to there island heritage.  I don't have an issue with this, think of what the rugby league fans that would have missed out watching some of these players, if the rules were tighter...

• Like 3

He’s playing out of his skin at the moment !

I have a ( now all too common) feeling DCE and turbo are going to bury the tigers today ! All I can say is thank god it is not being played at brookie!

kalyn got through the game unscathed so there’s a positive thing this weekend !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

He’s playing out of his skin at the moment !

I have a ( now all too common) feeling DCE and turbo are going to bury the tigers today ! All I can say is thank god it is not being played at brookie!

kalyn got through the game unscathed so there’s a positive thing this weekend !

Ya Gotta keep the faith with the tigers XD

🤫

• Like 2

They went close but not good enough . The tigers forwards ( with exception of the hooker ) are doing nothing and when they got within scoring distance from Manly they fell back into the rut of sideline to sideline football and what were the forwards doing - standing there with their hands on their hips . I would be very surprised if we win a game this year . One of my favourite sayings is “You can have a garage full of Ferrari’s but they are useless if you don’t have a road to drive them on “ That is what the Forwards are supposed to be doing - laying down that road . 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:00 AM, BaitDropper said:

I think there's been a bit of " we'll allow a bit both ways if the player is of any class "  LOL.

The only requirement for state of origin, is where you played your first club game of league, Brad Thorn, and even Tony Carrol for that matter, did play their first club league game in Aussie, Thorn grew up playing union in NZ, but was snapped up pretty quick by league when he crossed the ditch. To his credit, he refused to be selected for the Kiwis, when he retired from the Kangaroo's when he went back, instead fulfilling his child hood dream of playing rugby for the Allblacks. Tony Carrol, swapped countries as soon as he missed selection for the Kangaroo's.  There has been many many players from across the ditch following Thorns path and also those that have already played tests for NZ and Aussie that switched to there island heritage.  I don't have an issue with this, think of what the rugby league fans that would have missed out watching some of these players, if the rules were tighter...

Who you play for should be simple, your birth certificate says where you play, not some fuzzy grey rule about being "eligible" you're born in QLD or you're not, you're born in NZ or you're not, it's black and white if that's the criteria. I like things simple, no need for a room full of Lawyers and officials to decide who can play.

• Like 3

When all codes bought in stand down clauses before being able to swap countries, I thought it was a bad mistake. NRL was no different, the only criteria to play state of origin, is where you played your first game of rugby league. From there, as far as Kangaroo selection goes, it's a grey area. Some in Union, still only have NZ citizenship, but world cups force the official change,

The pacific island countries are a different kettle of fish, Samoan's get automatic NZ citizenship, That's how they get into Australia, in fact I would say, very few were born in the islands, Australia has milked this system for decades.

The only thing I would say about this, is in my opinion, Once you have represented a country internationally, then that should be the only country you are able to represent, swapping and changing allegiance to different countries has never sat well with me.. period

• Like 2

6 hours ago, XD351 said:

They went close but not good enough . The tigers forwards ( with exception of the hooker ) are doing nothing and when they got within scoring distance from Manly they fell back into the rut of sideline to sideline football and what were the forwards doing - standing there with their hands on their hips . I would be very surprised if we win a game this year . One of my favourite sayings is “You can have a garage full of Ferrari’s but they are useless if you don’t have a road to drive them on “ That is what the Forwards are supposed to be doing - laying down that road . 

I thought it was a good improvement from them in all honesty, to me, it was glaringly obvious that they lacked punch in the middle, in fact they look light on in the forwards..

But, I definitely saw an improvement, I'm sure they will snare a few wins this season if they can continue their momentum and then recruit well in the off season. 

• Like 2

He did, but he also wanted to clean out the "old boys" higher up, they could see their jobs were gone and banded together to ditch him. They will continue to be "unlucky" for a long time yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaitDropper said:

Warriors V Storm will be a fairly good litmus test today..

One of my happiest moments was being at Olympic park when the Warriors took the 1st v 8th win in 2008 finals , a last minute try to Michael Witt to win the game, after a barnstorming run from Vatuvei (now imprisoned for peddling meth ). Been pretty rough going in Melbourne since then though !

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

One of my happiest moments was being at Olympic park when the Warriors took the 1st v 8th win in 2008 finals , a last minute try to Michael Witt to win the game, after a barnstorming run from Vatuvei (now imprisoned for peddling meth ). Been pretty rough going in Melbourne since then though !

I was at that game Mike.

It's been slim pickings for the Warriors over the journey down there, But I've been to a few of their clashes as well as Brisbane and cowboys games while I lived down there.  The finals game you mention, I took overseas family members to watch, they were completely confused about the rugby league game itself, but they loved that match. I thought that they should get some AFL experience as well while they were there, went to a Collingwood Doggies match at the MCG, That never went as well as the league game did, just confused the heck out of them LOL...

Storm should be to strong for the Warriors today, on paper, but this year, who knows..

• Like 2

Today’s as good a chance as the Warriors will have in a while. Start of a tough run for us, you’re right it’s a real test for both teams today.

Storm are one of those teams I expect us to lose to home or away, but this season feels different - not just the warriors but the dogs, knights, titans etc are stronger than in the past and “upsets” are everywhere. I would say even the poor Tigers are doing Ok - they’ve had a few close losses and could’ve had 8 points if things went a little different. 
It’s been a special start to the season, so many competitive games. 

• Like 2