First time offshore as skipper

Derny Driver

So im upgrading my tinny to a larger boat to go outside fishing on good days.  I have a lot of questions which I would appreciate advice on:

1. I am happy with the boat, I will post more about this in the weeks to come. I don't have it yet so I'm trying to tick things off while I wait. It is well equipped with epirb and radio etc but could someone point me to a list of requirements for going outside?

2. I am in the process of getting my boat licence.  I have a mate to help me do the practical stuff and sign off. But it seems I need a vhf radio licence as well? Is online with Above and Beyond Boating best for this? They also have online skipper courses which look useful. 

3. The boat has a good sounder but I've never used one before and I can see myself aimlessly motoring around out there looking for gps marks. I'm guessing if you find fish you try to anchor upcurrent and hold the mark over them. Do I need a Minn Kota? No idea how to work one of them either. 

4. I will log in with the app as well as radio to maritime rescue. Are there other safety priorities? I did some big wave surfing when I was younger, I'm not scared of the ocean but I respect it and don't want to take any risks. 

Thanks

DD

• Like 3

1) all mandatory safety equipment list is on the Maritime website, and available at some boating shops.

2) a VHF “certificate of competence” is pretty easy to get, lots of fishing clubs run them. It is a lifetime qualification and teaches basic radio use.

3) if the sounder has the owners manual, read it, if not, just practice with the controls, don’t be too gung Ho about seeing “stuff” and thinking huge fish will be caught in a minute! A Minn Kots is nice, but not necessary first off.

4) take it in small steps, don’t rush out 30 miles first day, get to know the boat, if it gets rough, take your time, don’t try to go full speed home. As long as you have power and adequate fuel, you will get home!

• Like 2

I can't really help much with your questions DD but I just want to wish you all the best when you get your new vessel. As mentioned, one thing at a time. if you're not sure of something DON'T DO IT.

You will get all the advice you need on this forum, just ask away.

Good luck, bn

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I can't really help much with your questions DD but I just want to wish you all the best when you get your new vessel. As mentioned, one thing at a time. if you're not sure of something DON'T DO IT.

You will get all the advice you need on this forum, just ask away.

Good luck, bn

Thanks Neil

I'm sure I will have more specific questions once I actually hit the ocean. 

I just wanted to tick off a few things like the vhf licence while I'm waiting 

Cheers mate

• Like 1

@Derny Driver hope you have our Deckee App as it will answer and help with lots of your queries. 
In the app you can plan any trips. Set up your vessel size etc then add the location you intend to go to. 
It gives you a list of what is legally and safety wise needed. 
There is also a list of courses you can book to improve your skills on the water. 
IMG_8851.jpeg

IMG_8852.jpeg
IMG_8853.jpeg

IMG_8854.jpeg

IMG_8850.jpegIMG_8849.jpeg

• Like 2

Finding a mentor that can either take you on their boat or on yours to run you through the ropes for a couple of trips would be a great way to step up to being a more capable skipper on the water.

It's not that hard but does require common sense and good decision making. especially reading the weather and bar crossings.

A lot safer having someone showing you the ropes than learning the hard way.

Regards

Geoff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

But it seems I need a vhf radio licence as well

You do need a licence to operate a VHF radio BUT (blinding statement of the obvious) if you are in serious strife, you don't need a VHF licence to call for help.  My new boat has a VHF radio but I don't have a VHF licence.  There are vids on YT showing how to use/operate VHF correctly.  Until I have a licence I am maintaining radio silence, but monitor my VHF radio while on the water.

• Like 1

It’s easy to get your “license” costs little and it’s a lifetime certification, everyone should do it, just to learn the basics of radio operation and how/what/what not to do. I don’t know anyone ever being fined for not having one, or being asked to show it but…….

• Like 2

The most nerve wracking for many of us can be the ramp and other boat traffic you encounter, especially on bigger harbours where many bigger vessels have priority. I also believe there are way to many people who simply don't even have basic knowledge of which side of cardinal markers or other boats they should pass on. Be prepared that you could be on a narrow water section passing boats as you've learnt doing your boat licence courses, however you will encounter plenty of boats on the wrong side or cutting across in front of you. Its not a case of this might happen but I guarantee it will and your best reaction is to simply avoid any collisions and don't let fools upset you and spoil your day on the water, just smile and have a good time. 

Jervis is a great place to start off as the bay can get quite choppy on windy days but the wind direction will allow you to use the land as shelter but also be able to creep into rougher water to feel how the boat handles. Also you will be able to see how the waves differ closer to shallow reef closer to the heads around JB. 

Put your bungs in before you leave home, check you put the bungs in while you remove the trailer straps and check the bungs are in before you back the boat in!!!!!!!....if you remember to check at least once it will save you a heap of embarrassment at some point in your boat ownership. Last time I headed out an experienced boater came flying back to the ramp in the 4kt zone in a mad rush to get his boat back on the trailer after forgetting his bung. If we hadn't been able to assist quickly his boat would of been on the bottom at the ramp!!!!

You will encounter maritime who will often want to check all your safety gear, so make sure you have everything in order. Some maritime officers can be quite rude in their manner but again don't let them spoil your day, its simply how some people can be when they put on a uniform. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonD said:

The most nerve wracking for many of us can be the ramp and other boat traffic you encounter, especially on bigger harbours where many bigger vessels have priority. I also believe there are way to many people who simply don't even have basic knowledge of which side of cardinal markers or other boats they should pass on. Be prepared that you could be on a narrow water section passing boats as you've learnt doing your boat licence courses, however you will encounter plenty of boats on the wrong side or cutting across in front of you. Its not a case of this might happen but I guarantee it will and your best reaction is to simply avoid any collisions and don't let fools upset you and spoil your day on the water, just smile and have a good time. 

Jervis is a great place to start off as the bay can get quite choppy on windy days but the wind direction will allow you to use the land as shelter but also be able to creep into rougher water to feel how the boat handles. Also you will be able to see how the waves differ closer to shallow reef closer to the heads around JB. 

Put your bungs in before you leave home, check you put the bungs in while you remove the trailer straps and check the bungs are in before you back the boat in!!!!!!!....if you remember to check at least once it will save you a heap of embarrassment at some point in your boat ownership. Last time I headed out an experienced boater came flying back to the ramp in the 4kt zone in a mad rush to get his boat back on the trailer after forgetting his bung. If we hadn't been able to assist quickly his boat would of been on the bottom at the ramp!!!!

You will encounter maritime who will often want to check all your safety gear, so make sure you have everything in order. Some maritime officers can be quite rude in their manner but again don't let them spoil your day, its simply how some people can be when they put on a uniform. 

Thanks James

Ive been pulled up 3 times by Maritime Services ...I know I have all my safety gear so I dont worry about it. They've been fairly polite in my experience. The ramps I use have been pretty orderly and I have a system I use before launching the tinny. I park in a nearby street, load the boat, untie straps, remove transom saver, connect fuel, check BUNGS etc ....then I just drive 100m to the ramp and Im good to go. A bigger boat will involve different protocols but Im sure I'll be okay.

Thanks Donna for reminding me about the app. I have it on my phone but havent registered yet as I dont have the boat yet. But I will. It looks fantastic.

Geoff I have a mate with a boat licence so I might hit him up to come with me the first few times. Seems a sensible idea.

Noel and JustJames, thanks for the info .... I will definately do the VHF radio course.

Im appreciating all the advice, thanks so much everyone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derny Driver said:

Thanks James

Ive been pulled up 3 times by Maritime Services ...I know I have all my safety gear so I dont worry about it. They've been fairly polite in my experience. The ramps I use have been pretty orderly and I have a system I use before launching the tinny. I park in a nearby street, load the boat, untie straps, remove transom saver, connect fuel, check BUNGS etc ....then I just drive 100m to the ramp and Im good to go. A bigger boat will involve different protocols but Im sure I'll be okay.

Thanks Donna for reminding me about the app. I have it on my phone but havent registered yet as I dont have the boat yet. But I will. It looks fantastic.

Geoff I have a mate with a boat licence so I might hit him up to come with me the first few times. Seems a sensible idea.

Noel and JustJames, thanks for the info .... I will definately do the VHF radio course.

Im appreciating all the advice, thanks so much everyone

They have been polite with my last couple of encounters. I suspect they may have been told to pull their heads in. I was hearing it everywhere and experienced it myself - harassment, false claims, etc.  

All my years of boating, I have been checked probably twice, not including the time I was helping a mate fix his boat and the Maritime guys wanted to see all our gear, even though the boat was on the trailer with the motor cover off, and a tool box sitting on the back. been pulled over by Fisheries a couple times over the years, once I was out over the shelf and a big Fisheries boat came up and asked what I was doing.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

All my years of boating, I have been checked probably twice, not including the time I was helping a mate fix his boat and the Maritime guys wanted to see all our gear, even though the boat was on the trailer with the motor cover off, and a tool box sitting on the back. been pulled over by Fisheries a couple times over the years, once I was out over the shelf and a big Fisheries boat came up and asked what I was doing.

I think we are over policed here in Narooma and Batemans. Maritime will often be at the ramp checking people day after day, even knowing they checked all the safety gear of regulars the day before. We had a guy who was very unpopular but he recently got moved on  due to the amount of complaints. The new local maritime officer is very good but the other one has gone north from us.

• Like 3

Greetings DD, I moved from western NSW (west of BigNeil) to the coast years ago. Best thing I did was join a fishing club. Every time I go out on the water I have a bunch of mates out there too. And they help you with skills and advice etc (we've all towed each other home at some time).

Good luck. Whats that "P" thing?? Poor preparation something??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, noelm said:

Try 4 times in a day here. Maritime at the ramp doing life jacket inspections before putting the boat in the water. Further down the river maritime sitting inside the bar doing full safety inspections. Head out to Montague where Fisheries are going from boat to boat, including commercial charters checking for licences and fish sizes etc. Later in the day the maritime officer who had been stopping boats before crossing the bar now had police on the boat doing random breath testing out at Montague.

Next day, same inspections at the ramp, same being stopped before the bar crossing and again fisheries doing inspection out on the water, however they didn't inspect my boat the second day. Maritime issuing fines for inflatable jackets not being in date, issuing fine for people kayaking in shallow water in front of the local caravan park etc etc. 

When tourists arrive there are often combined blitzes among these groups which several locals got so fed up with they stopped boating. However there were so many complaints in regards to the harissment that we now rarely get inspections and when they do they are friendly.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Hoods said:

Greetings DD, I moved from western NSW (west of BigNeil) to the coast years ago. Best thing I did was join a fishing club. Every time I go out on the water I have a bunch of mates out there too. And they help you with skills and advice etc (we've all towed each other home at some time).

Good luck. Whats that "P" thing?? Poor preparation something??

Thats actually an excellent idea Hoods, I will check out some clubs in my area.

Thanks so much.

If your in NSW officially you need the following gear.to go out offshore.
https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment-table-checklist-open.pdf

There are a few things with a larger boat that are still really important.

1. Having a larger boat does not mean going kung hai and taking on rough seas/swell and wind. Understanding the boat capabilities and limitations of a vessel are very important. You don't specifically mention the size of vessel you have purchased. Here is a guide to vessel size vs swell.
https://www.nsw.gov.au/driving-boating-and-transport/using-waterways-boating-and-transport-information/conditions-weather-and-tides/waves-and-swell
The other thing I would mention is that the wind speed is very important along with wave period (the gap time between waves).

You want to go out on days of low swell, low wind and high wave period. These conditions when met are good for a "smoother and safer ride.

2. Check the forecast for the entire day, so you don't ever get caught out in bad weather. If it's sunny in the morning but you have storms in the afternoon be in well before the storm.
Sites like Willy weather (https://swell.willyweather.com.au/ and BOM's meteye are very helpful in terms of forecast. http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/

3. Fishing in the bay is completely different to offshore. Bay's are sheltered and not prone to as much weather change or risk as offshore fishing. Assess the weather conditions prior to going out and if the weather is not great don't feel pressured to go out offshore because a mate wants to. Mother nature doesn't take nicely will always win in the end so be safe.

4. I would highly advise against anchoring offshore. This puts you at additional risk in the event of larger waves. The safe option is to drift over or use a minnkota (but still be cautious).

5. Offshore fishing is more likely to cause you or your crew sea sickness. Tablets like Travelcalm/Dramamine ET/ Kwells or can assist.

6. Larger boat -> Understand the depth of your boat/engine. Remember to lift the engine slightly (to avoid hitting the ground) if you at low tide at the boat ramp is not very deep. Always remember to raise the engine when driving up a ramp also.

7. Larger boats = More Weight. Be careful at ramps and whilst docking. Particularly with hands/limbs and wood docks. Larger boats can crush limbs if caught between the boat and ramp. Also understand the people/mass limit of your boat.

8. Have a routine for checking things like fuel, bungs, safety equipment, water before going out. Carry a sufficient amount of food/water just in case you ever need it.

9. VHF Radio. Understand the common channels in use and basic operation. Know how to change channels, adjust volume, adjust squelch and power settings. Carry a good antenna/radio(not a handheld, but one with a larger antenna). Emergency channels (is 16 in NSW). Highly recommend you get your license it's not that expensive and useful knowledge to have. Test your radio beforehand out on the water to make sure it's in working order. It may save your life in an emergency. So you want it to work.

You can logon with marine rescue directly on channel 16 and also via the marine rescue phone app.

10. Understand your boats/electrics and particularly your bilge. Test the bilge. Flood it with water from a garden hose with the bung in. Make sure it pumps water out. Know where the buttons are to operate it (if it's not auto starting).

Trial the boat out in the bay first and get used to it. Check for leaks. Would highly recommend going out with someone experience for the first few trips.

I could go on and probably teach a course on this stuff now. I'm sure there are many many other things I've missed.

Congratulations, Good luck and stay safe out there!

https://marineradiolicence.com.au/marine-radio-licence

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chillin Out said:

https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment-table-checklist-open.pdf

1. Having a larger boat does not mean going kung hai and taking on rough seas/swell and wind. Understanding the boat capabilities and limitations of a vessel are very important. You don't specifically mention the size of vessel you have purchased. Here is a guide to vessel size vs swell.
https://www.nsw.gov.au/driving-boating-and-transport/using-waterways-boating-and-transport-information/conditions-weather-and-tides/waves-and-swell
The other thing I would mention is that the wind speed is very important along with wave period (the gap time between waves).

You want to go out on days of low swell, low wind and high wave period. These conditions when met are good for a "smoother and safer ride.

2. Check the forecast for the entire day, so you don't ever get caught out in bad weather. If it's sunny in the morning but you have storms in the afternoon be in well before the storm.
Sites like Willy weather (https://swell.willyweather.com.au/ and BOM's meteye are very helpful in terms of forecast. http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/

3. Fishing in the bay is completely different to offshore. Bay's are sheltered and not prone to as much weather change or risk as offshore fishing. Assess the weather conditions prior to going out and if the weather is not great don't feel pressured to go out offshore because a mate wants to. Mother nature doesn't take nicely will always win in the end so be safe.

4. I would highly advise against anchoring offshore. This puts you at additional risk in the event of larger waves. The safe option is to drift over or use a minnkota (but still be cautious).

5. Offshore fishing is more likely to cause you or your crew sea sickness. Tablets like Travelcalm/Dramamine ET/ Kwells or can assist.

6. Larger boat -> Understand the depth of your boat/engine. Remember to lift the engine slightly (to avoid hitting the ground) if you at low tide at the boat ramp is not very deep. Always remember to raise the engine when driving up a ramp also.

7. Larger boats = More Weight. Be careful at ramps and whilst docking. Particularly with hands/limbs and wood docks. Larger boats can crush limbs if caught between the boat and ramp. Also understand the people/mass limit of your boat.

8. Have a routine for checking things like fuel, bungs, safety equipment, water before going out. Carry a sufficient amount of food/water just in case you ever need it.

9. VHF Radio. Understand the common channels in use and basic operation. Know how to change channels, adjust volume, adjust squelch and power settings. Carry a good antenna/radio(not a handheld, but one with a larger antenna). Emergency channels (is 16 in NSW). Highly recommend you get your license it's not that expensive and useful knowledge to have. Test your radio beforehand out on the water to make sure it's in working order. It may save your life in an emergency. So you want it to work.

You can logon with marine rescue directly on channel 16 and also via the marine rescue phone app.

10. Understand your boats/electrics and particularly your bilge. Test the bilge. Flood it with water from a garden hose with the bung in. Make sure it pumps water out. Know where the buttons are to operate it (if it's not auto starting).

Trial the boat out in the bay first and get used to it. Check for leaks. Would highly recommend going out with someone experience for the first few trips.

I could go on and probably teach a course on this stuff now. I'm sure there are many many other things I've missed.

Hey CO you are a legend 

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that.  It's exactly what I need to know. Much appreciated mate. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chillin Out said:

There’s a lot of stuff here to digest, some of it (in my opinion) a bit off putting, first off, thousands of people anchor offshore every day. There is not hard and fast rule about boat size and swell size. Jervis Bay is near 10 miles across, a decent wind can leave you a very long way from “shelter”. Weather forecasts are just that….a forecast, they are not 100% true, keep an eye on the weather, even if the news says it’s going to be nice. The main thing is taking it a bit at a time, gain some experience from hooking the boat up, to coming home and cleaning up.

• Like 1

A lot of great advice above. It can be hard to remember everything. Be sure to put your boat length in the Deckee app and it will guide you on wave height to boat length decision making (counting for wind AND swell and what it means to your boat. It uses the NSW Gov source mentioned above). It’s a guide and forecasts and local conditions vary, so really take your own experience into account and remember rogue waves happen on average three times in any 24 hour period. They can be double the height of predicted waves and are usually breaking, so are the ones that get us by surprise and in trouble. I also keep my EPIRB on a hip belt as I boat alone and always want to be able to alert for help if separated from my boat.  I hope that helpsIMG_5221.thumb.png.96659a717dad3f9f8400af16f328f4cd.png

• Thanks 1