A few Sydney kingfish today

whiskey299

Tried to catch some live bait today but was struggling so decided to skip that part and chase the target fish.

Had the 150g jig ready and it didn't take long to locate the school.

Managed to boat 4 kingfish in 20mins and then the school disappeared and I suspect it was startled by a passing boat.

I finally managed to catch a few yakkas on the sabiki and hooked one up to my poor man's downrigger (8oz sinker).

The yakka got taken but the hook pulled! I suspect the kingfish was small and greedy and couldn't fit the entire yakka in it's mouth which is why the circle hook couldn't connect properly.

After a few hours I managed to locate another school, dropped a butterflied yakka down and they wouldn't touch it. Dropped my the knife jig and instantly hooked up.

Screen shot of my downscan showing the kings snubbing the butterflied yakka.

All fish were released

9E33A936-CEB4-4F3D-8F0F-634042C3862E.jpeg

763D0141-18D6-48D7-8231-75CF0C519C30.jpeg

CF8864BD-B099-4C9C-92F4-48E585EF596A.jpeg

CA42F958-2764-4E07-A52D-7B24203E1384.jpeg

C9328ECA-4222-417C-A535-9FE16B75AC55.jpeg

BEA19FEF-B1C4-44E3-8A49-8D005261ED53.jpeg

Edited by whiskey299
  • Like 14

17 hours ago, Burger said:

Well done Whisky!

Thanks

16 hours ago, faker said:

My bad @whiskey299, congrats whisky heard they were after garfish in habour but not yakka

A king did take my live yakka but the hook pulled. Squid is still the best live bait

14 hours ago, Basil D said:

well done whisky, where abouts are they 🤣

anywhere there is water! :) 

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

You keep finding those fish! Shows you’ve been putting in the hard yards!

All under legal this week? 

Every few season the school tend to hang out at different locations, so I alot of time is spent searching. Once located they tend to stick to the area early mornings and then move around for a feed. Yes all rats this week.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Terrific outcome @whiskey299- getting the hebbygeebies, not being able to get out on the Kingies (or any fishing for that matter). Great to read your report👍👍

Thanks Bob, there's some fantastic fishing lately you need to get out asap. Hope to have a different report later this week that doesn't involve rats.

• Like 1

Very well done whiskey299, great report, and accompanying pics. I envy you guys being able to get into and out of a kayak. They certainly are a revelation in angling for those who are courageous enough to use them. Thanks for the entertaining post.

bn

• Like 1