Breaking the drought - Hitting the Flatties

Pickles

After a fishing “drought” of many weeks laid up (broken sternum and 3 ribs), but a very successful trip trialling my Lab “Rosie” in W.A., S.A. And Vic, I was itching to get out fishing again after 8 weeks off the water (A car topper wouldn’t work with our set up towing a van so fishing interstate was problematic - and as it worked out Mrs Pickles had to drive the 11,000kms pulling the van as it was painful to breath or hold a steering wheel with a busted up chest and I couldn’t cast a rod anyway).

Sob session over, my mate Steve who was checking in on the farm and veggie garden in our absence, asked me to get out on some “light fishing” drifting and flicking for Flatties in Deerubbin (Hawkesbury). I jumped at the chance. Getting in and out of his boat was a bit of a struggle, but any chance to get fishing and enjoy the pleasure often involves some pain. Being his boat, Rosie stayed home, but was rewarded on our return with pilchards, but no kingfish heads - be a while till I can tussle with string pulling brutes.

We boated a feed of good sized Flatties (and a flounder - one of the biggest I’ve caught ), the largest going 67cm and the smallest 40cm. The conditions were calm until about 10.30 am, when the wind picked up, which was a bit of a nuisance as the tide was going out and wind coming in, but we worked together and didn’t get tangled up. We were using squid (Boxed -Californian “Angel” / “Del Mar” squid), prawns and pillies. Most fish were caught on the squid, which was a bit of a surprise given the prawns have been running lately (according to my prawn trawler contacts). Steve is a die hard bait fisho, whereas I usually have a bait out, but flick lures and plastics. The wisdom of this was confirmed as I was fortunate to catch only flathead & the flounder, whereas Steve, (as well catching Flatties) also caught shovel nose, eels and Port Jackson’s.

It was great to get back on the water again, so hopefully more reports to come.

A few pics (Steve didn’t want his face shown)

IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 14

Great to hear from you Bob … a cracker way to break the drought for sure!
I know your pain buddy - in 2004 I cracked my sternum and dislocated a rib falling off a mountain bike - the sternum eventually healed but I now have a “floating rib” that occasionally and painfully still pops in and out of place. So you have my sympathy mate. 
Hope you’re looking after Julie - 11000km debt of gratitude- what a trooper 👍👍

cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

Good to see a report from you Bob. Nice fish there, certainly worth the effort of some pain. Shame you could not have a fish during your travels.

The ribs are there to protect you heart and lungs, so damage to them causes pain when you breathe and move, at least you are now on the mend.

The prawns are on up your way. The bait shop down here at Tom Uglys were selling fresh caught Hawkesbury ones during the week. Still a bit small, a bit fiddly to peel, however, I bought a kilo and boiled up some and cooked others in a recipe. Very tasty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

Great to see you back on the water Bob! Nice size flatties and flounder ! I usually get those out in broken bay - they can be a pest at times ! 

Yep with you mate - folks say they are great eating, but I only like to eat filleted, de-boned fish and hate mucking around with bones and don’t know how (if you can) fillet flounder.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Yep with you mate - folks say they are great eating, but I only like to eat filleted, de-boned fish and hate mucking around with bones and don’t know how (if you can) fillet flounder.

I filleted one once because my mate reckoned it couldn’t be done - he was almost right 🤣🤣🤣    I will stick with my flathead ! 

• Like 1

Been thinking about you are your circumstances a lot, Bob. Wondering how you were coping being a junkie without a fix. Great to see that Steve came to the rescue and you managed to get out for some easy fishing...much better than no fishing. Hope that your progress toward wellness continues quickly and totally.

I see that those pesky Eels are still around in abundance, but at least you caught some decent fish for the table and freezer.

Speedy recovery, bn

23 hours ago, Pickles said:

You can cut the head off and then peel them like a leatherjacket. Floured and fried in butter/oil = yum. The bones aren't really a problem, the meat just flakes off.

• Like 1