Drifting off Ben Buckler - monster Gurnard

Pickles

Buddy Steve and I had a session of Ben Buckler (60m mark), drifting for Flatties. I was using squid. Rig was 10kg braid, fb knot @10kg fluro leader to swivel, 10kg fluro dropper (4/0 Owner suicide hook) and no 4 snapper lead on bottom. I scored a PB butterfly Gurnard and sold 54cm Blue spot.

IMG_1904.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1906.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 16

Well done Bob and Steve. Good to see that you got a few feeds of fresh fish.

One of those Gurnard cost me a visit to the hospital at Toora in Gippsland when it spiked me while I was cleaning it. My hand and arm went black and the pain was severe.

Cheers, bn

Latchet have bad spines (look just like a Gurnard) never been spiked by a Gurnard….yet. Mind you, the Gurnard caught in Victoria is a completely different thing, and spikes big time, similar to a Rock Cod.

Edited by noelm

9 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Nice work Bob, that's the biggest I've seen. Did you measure it, it could be a Fishraider record 😉 

Thanks @scottyboy she (had eggs 😧) went 64cm. Not sure how to find / enter size or records on FishRaider - @mrsswordfisherman has told me in the past, but tried and got confused, so let it slip 🫤 

7 hours ago, whiskey299 said:

Nice catch Bob!

I know sashimi isn't for everyone but I don't mind having it eaten this way.

It has a clean and almost sweet flesh, similar to flute mouth fish if you're into that.

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-27 at 10.31.20 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-27 at 10.31.20 AM (1).jpeg

That looks great & you have a good taste in knives.

Nice mixed bag Pickles.

Edited by Fried Rice
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 2:37 PM, Pickles said:

Buddy Steve and I had a session of Ben Buckler (60m mark), drifting for Flatties. I was using squid. Rig was 10kg braid, fb knot @10kg fluro leader to swivel, 10kg fluro dropper (4/0 Owner suicide hook) and no 4 snapper lead on bottom. I scored a PB butterfly Gurnard and sold 54cm Blue spot.

IMG_1904.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1906.jpeg

That's a gun Gunnard Bob !!!  Good on the eyes and good on the chew.  Well done buddy.

I presume the pike went out again as the next trips bait ... or Rosie's snack?

Cheers Zoran