Snapper and Kings - Life is good (eternal life is better)

Pickles

Got out for the second time in 2 days 😌. Headed off shore thanks to @whiskey299 and followed his advice and bagged 2 nice snapper (75 & 51cm). Conditions blew up and swell was sloppy so headed back in about 10am and tried a few spots inside the heads, but only rats, but good fun and plenty of them.

The snapper were 50m off the rocks and caught free lining unweighted strips of fresh slimy mackerel (heaps and heaps at all the bait grounds, (the rock fall inside nth head, the heads themselves, middle Head, George’s Head, the artificial has smaller- better sized ones).

Kingies were caught on live Yakkas, live slimies and squid, I reckon they would have taken prawns if we had them. Also got a just under 2m bronze whaler that took 15 minutes to get to the surface. I thought I’d hooked a seriously big Kingie - very disappointed.

Overall a good day made better by catching up with Raider Bill in his BarCrusher @blaxland.

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Got out for the second time in 2 days 😌. Headed off shore thanks to @whiskey299 and followed his advice and bagged 2 nice snapper (75 & 51cm). Conditions blew up and swell was sloppy so headed back in about 10am and tried a few spots inside the heads, but only rats, but good fun and plenty of them.

The snapper were 50m off the rocks and caught free lining unweighted strips of fresh slimy mackerel (heaps and heaps at all the bait grounds, (the rock fall inside nth head, the heads themselves, middle Head, George’s Head, the artificial has smaller- better sized ones).

Kingies were caught on live Yakkas, live slimies and squid, I reckon they would have taken prawns if we had them. Also got a just under 2m bronze whaler that took 15 minutes to get to the surface. I thought I’d hooked a seriously big Kingie - very disappointed.

Overall a good day made better by catching up with Raider Bill in his BarCrusher @blaxland.

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

Well done Bob! What a cracker size, did any of them have any gamakatsu 2/0 hooks in them by any chance? If they did it can I have them back lol.

Glad to see Mr Banana and being proudly on display. 

The sharks there are annoying but that’s the price we have to pay.

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

Nice feed there Bob I often see a boat in that spot on my way back I wonder if its @whiskey299

Not likely as I would be fishing in a blue kayak. 

• Like 1

Nice reddies there Bob. Kingies for exercise but none to take home.

As for the shark, you usually know what is on the hook, but you just have to see it in case it is something worth keeping. 😂

• Like 1

Well done Bob. Don't recall seeing a post of you getting some decent Snapper from that area before. Seems the fishing is starting to improve at last. Am I right in thinking that you don't rate the eating quality of Snapper very high?

Keep up the good work, bn

Great fish Pickles!

Two songs come to mind from your post Pickles. The first is Mellow Yellow by Donovan. (the banana in your mouth) and the second, Eternal Life by Jeff Buckley

Enjoy!

Edited by Koalaboi

@Koalaboi Donovan great song loved him

Not sure about choice of Jeff's song there. Jeff Buckley son of Tim - great artists sad endings for them both. Always shed a tear when Last Goodbye is played.....We loved Tim Buckley's songs! Greetings from LA album 1972 was the bomb.

Sorry to digress Bob.

Keep doing the great work mentoring people out on the waterways Bob  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 12:19 AM, Koalaboi said:

Great fish Pickles!

Two songs come to mind from your post Pickles. The first is Mellow Yellow by Donovan. (the banana in your mouth) and the second, Eternal Life by Jeff Buckley

Enjoy!

Brilliant, thanks @Koalaboi , when I was young and stoopid, I tried the Donavon “Mellow Yellow” (strings on banana when peeled, dried and smoked), all I got was a sore throat. Served me right. Now I get my kicks from sharing the truth of Jesus and fishing - both at the same time if I can.

• Like 1