Kingfish top baits produce the goods, but be careful of banned areas in Sydney Harbour

In a recent conversation with @whiskey299, I referred to the no1 bait for Kingies being live squid or cuttlefish (even better). HOWEVER Raiders need to be aware that North Harbour, from Grotto point to North Head is an aquatic reserve and squid may NOT be caught here. I’ve been checked by fisheries (happens often given the fact I’m out 3-4 times a week) and the noticed my rods with jigs attached and instructed me that it is actually an offence to have a jig attached to a line in the area.

I think this “sucks” big time, but as a stickler for doing the right thing - I comply.

map attached for reference. 

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_6967.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

For clarity, the reservation area is no-go for invertebrates and spear fishing, but line fishing for fin fish there is a-ok.

Yep, absolutely correct 

• Like 1

Correct me if I’m wrong, but where you took that pic of you holding the squid is that not in the reserve area? Or just outside of it? Also how often are you checked by fisheries? I’m out a good couple times each week and have never been checked nor even seen a fisheries boat on the harbour 

Edited by nal

Nice squid Bob.

From what the fisheries mob are telling you, you can have a jig attached, then moving through the restricted area, cut off the jig, then outside that area, re-attach the jig. :badair:

Similar to some areas I travel in the van in other states. Some places you cannot have a freshwater yabbie trap, but then in the next shire, the same trap is legal. I am not detouring around that restricted shire because of the trap (might be a few hundred kms) the trap stays inside the van.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, nal said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but where you took that pic of you holding the squid is that not in the reserve area? Or just outside of it? Also how often are you checked by fisheries? I’m out a good couple times each week and have never been checked nor even seen a fisheries boat on the harbour 

Correct, it’s in the middle of the harbour heads (there’s a reef there),  - I’m anal about keeping to bag limits, Nav rules and fishing zones. (It’d be pretty unwise to publicly post a pic holding a squid in a prohibited area😳 

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, nal said:

Without exception, Bob gets checked by fisheries all the time. I have been out fishing in the Harbour with him numerous times and always been checked. He is always polite to them as they are to him. It can be a nuisance to have them check you out when you're doing the right thing, but there are a lot of people who ignore everything and do what they want.

Where I live in the Riverina there are only a couple of Fisheries Inspectors covering the bottom third of NSW, West of the divide. Shame really because there is that much illegal activity and bending of the rules, it would make you sick.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

I recently got checked 3 times in one day by maritime but have never been checked by fisheries , coming back to brooklyn ramp on New Year’s Day I watched a guy catch a 100mm bream and throw it into his esky pissed me off but what can you do fisheries aint sending anyone for that

1 hour ago, Bryant fish said:

I recently got checked 3 times in one day by maritime but have never been checked by fisheries , coming back to brooklyn ramp on New Year’s Day I watched a guy catch a 100mm bream and throw it into his esky pissed me off but what can you do fisheries aint sending anyone for that

You believe you weren't checked!  

Around Eden I was fishing a beach and saw two inspectors as I was leaving. I went out of my way, volunteered my license. They didn't want to see it.  We had a friendly chat about nothing in particular. They didn't check gear or backpack content. They said they were targeting a particular offense. I was the only person on about 5km of beach walked, so it wouldn't have been too much of a chore to check. I gained a strong impression they'd been watching me catch & release Salmon and probably correctly assume I was a responsible fisho who sticks withing the rules.

Another day, another location, I had a chat another. They were targeting rock lobster and had caught someone the day before watching from a distance then apprehending the person in the car park... or was that occasion abalone???

Sometime or other I read DPI use cameras. In particular to police fishing inside sanctuary boundaries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bryant fish said:

I recently got checked 3 times in one day by maritime

Geez you must look suspicious as!  :)

That said, so must I, because if I see a maritime vessel, they WILL come and check me.  So much so, that I have seen them approach me, key in my boat rego and then realise "oh we've checked him the last 3 weekends" - I assume - and then turn around.

3 hours ago, Steve0 said:

You believe you weren't checked!  

Around Eden I was fishing a beach and saw two inspectors as I was leaving. I went out of my way, volunteered my license. They didn't want to see it.  We had a friendly chat about nothing in particular. They didn't check gear or backpack content. They said they were targeting a particular offense. I was the only person on about 5km of beach walked, so it wouldn't have been too much of a chore to check. I gained a strong impression they'd been watching me catch & release Salmon and probably correctly assume I was a responsible fisho who sticks withing the rules.

Another day, another location, I had a chat another. They were targeting rock lobster and had caught someone the day before watching from a distance then apprehending the person in the car park... or was that occasion abalone???

Sometime or other I read DPI use cameras. In particular to police fishing inside sanctuary boundaries.

2 hours ago, JustJames said:

Geez you must look suspicious as!  :)

That said, so must I, because if I see a maritime vessel, they WILL come and check me.  So much so, that I have seen them approach me, key in my boat rego and then realise "oh we've checked him the last 3 weekends" - I assume - and then turn around.

A fisho (not a Raider), sent me a pic of him with a $500 fine for fishing within the 200m “prohibited zone” at Green Island at South West Rocks. the pic was taken from a drone that was apparently several hundred feet in the air, but the shot was clear. He received the fine notice and pic several weeks after he got back to Sydney and was given the right to appeal. 
He knew he was doing the wrong thing and knew “one day I’ll caught”, but a young guy with several kids and a wife who doesn’t work -$500 must have hurt. But you make decisions, then have to be prepared to accept the consequences.

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

A fisho (not a Raider), sent me a pic of him with a $500 fine for fishing within the 200m “prohibited zone” at Green Island at South West Rocks. the pic was taken from a drone that was apparently several hundred feet in the air, but the shot was clear. He received the fine notice and pic several weeks after he got back to Sydney and was given the right to appeal. 
He knew he was doing the wrong thing and knew “one day I’ll caught”, but a young guy with several kids and a wife who doesn’t work -$500 must have hurt. But you make decisions, then have to be prepared to accept the consequences.

My license is paid for to cover every year, fishing or not and I don't resent paying the fee, knowing it feeds back into the fishery.  I find it hard to empathise with people who are caught doing the wrong thing but, yes, that seems a very harsh penalty in relation to personal circumstances.

• Like 3

Great post Bob and it's important to share such info with Raiders as first timer in the area may not have done the research. I find that Fisheries and Maritime officers are all pretty good to have a chat with and as long as everything is in order it's only 10 minutes of your session. Nice inker btw:)

On 1/3/2024 at 3:38 PM, Pickles said:

In a recent conversation with @whiskey299, I referred to the no1 bait for Kingies being live squid or cuttlefish (even better). HOWEVER Raiders need to be aware that North Harbour, from Grotto point to North Head is an aquatic reserve and squid may NOT be caught here. I’ve been checked by fisheries (happens often given the fact I’m out 3-4 times a week) and the noticed my rods with jigs attached and instructed me that it is actually an offence to have a jig attached to a line in the area.

I think this “sucks” big time, but as a stickler for doing the right thing - I comply.

map attached for reference. 

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_6967.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

Is it only the shaded area on the map? If so looks like you can still target squid around Manly,little Manly and Fairlight

Yep only the shaded area, BUT I was told (politely) by DPI fisheries when I was fishing in the allowed area ( for yellowtail) who warned me that it is an offence to pass through the area with a jig or squid spike attached to a rod and fines apply if rigged to fish for squid if stopped in the shaded area.

Edited by Pickles