Nowra flathead

Got out to Nowra after months and months of no fishing for us today.

Launched from Nowra bridge ramp and headed down river drifting and anchoring several spots.

A couple quick snaps and overboard they went even though plenty of legal fish caught this time as I honestly can’t be bothered half the time..About 7-8 legal flathead caught.

prawns and pillys where the bait.

water like coffee.Don’t ask me what tide it was or wind conditions etc as I didn’t even check I thought last night stuff this we are going fishing tomorrow.

As usual we had a great time even though rain threatened the 5 or so hours on water.

tight lines.

That flatly in the net was a pearler.Other one was barely legal.Other flathead were legal and a bit smaller than the one pictured in net.

Thanks for reading.

image000002.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

• Like 17

Great report Fab...

Yeah, the river turned Choclate 3-4 days back, I see it every day driving past the Bridge ramp, it stayed fairly clear after the rains we were having, or have had , then surprisingly turned to coffee 3-4 days ago. At least you got to get out on the water for an outing and boated some species.

Thought the boat ramp would have been packed out more than it has been, over the festive times, but again surprisingly not as busy as I thought it would be.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Always good to get out, it’s a bit of a mission to go to Nowra from your place?

1 hr to windang, the port, botany etc.

1.5 hrs to Nowra around there.

We always enjoy getting out regardless mate.

1 hour ago, BaitDropper said:

Great report Fab...

Yeah, the river turned Choclate 3-4 days back, I see it every day driving past the Bridge ramp, it stayed fairly clear after the rains we were having, or have had , then surprisingly turned to coffee 3-4 days ago. At least you got to get out on the water for an outing and boated some species.

Thought the boat ramp would have been packed out more than it has been, over the festive times, but again surprisingly not as busy as I thought it would be.

Thanks mate.There was a few out but I launched/retrieved with no one in sight.

53 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see you getting out @Fab1. Better than mowing the lawn!

Bait or lures?

Cheers..I love my lawn and gardens mate.Mrs always wants to know why I have so many mowers and gear.

we used bait only..School prawns fresh and salted and pillys caught all fish.

46 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Well done Fab. Must feel good getting out after a layoff. Catching a few is a bonus too.

bn

It’s always very enjoyable getting the family away for a few hours mate.Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Glad to see you get out @Fab1. Great report.

Thanks mate.We are trying our best to get out mate but family comes first when they have terminal illnesses/health issues it gets put on back burner.

• Like 3

Fab, you are alive again. Thought you had gone. 😂

Good to see you pull up a few flatties, would have been a nice feed if you kept some of them. Regardless, a good day on the water.

2 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Fab, you are alive again. Thought you had gone. 😂

Good to see you pull up a few flatties, would have been a nice feed if you kept some of them. Regardless, a good day on the water.

Still kicking mate.Not much has been happening on the fishing front for months mate.We caught 7 or 8 keepers today but like my report says I couldn’t be bothered keeping any of them.After 2 xmases and my mom saying go on just one more plate of food after I have eaten the 20th I don’t want to see food or fish or anything until 2089 I think.

sitting here on lounge I can feel my bloated stomach trying to lift the ceiling off the house.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Great catch mate, yeah the river is pretty horrible clarity wise. Will take a long time to clean up!

It sure was.Wasn’t expecting that to be honest.

Yes...went up river from the bridge...(last week)...water filthy!!..... were fishing for bass on the sunrise...no luck there...but as you said water was muddy and we started 'hitting'  (in the tinny)...large lumps of weed etc... and some submerged logs making things difficult..

Knirps.

• Sad 1

Shoalhaven river still like chocolate milk ..

I went out Thursday and had to go right down to the entrance to find some clear water on the run in tide. No bites up around comerong Island but I managed a flatty and a bream ... got snapped off by a monster flathead which I brought up too fast. Caught a glimpse of her as she dived and snapped my line ( I had the drag set too tight). Cried myself to sleep that night.

Also caught a nice big shovelnose which I released. They are so beautiful I just can't bring myself to keep them. 

Anyway, the water quality is still very poor even though we haven't had much rain apart from the odd storm.

Cheers 

20 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

I went out Thursday and had to go right down to the entrance to find some clear water on the run in tide. ... got snapped off by a monster flathead which I brought up too fast. Caught a glimpse of her as she dived and snapped my line ( I had the drag set too tight).

Cheers 

After heavy rain head to near the entrance on the run-up, clearer water.

On lighter line, I have the drag set light. I use one finger to apply extra pressure to the spool on the pump and wind, however, if a larger fish takes a big run, ease off the pressure with that finger until the fish slows down, then pump and wind again with finger pressure on the spool.

• Thanks 1

Way to go @Fab1 - love your attitude. I’m a bit like you in that cleaning too many fish is a pain (I usually always only keep a few and very rarely ever the bag limit and if then to give to family or crew)

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:15 PM, Yowie said:

After heavy rain head to near the entrance on the run-up, clearer water.

On lighter line, I have the drag set light. I use one finger to apply extra pressure to the spool on the pump and wind, however, if a larger fish takes a big run, ease off the pressure with that finger until the fish slows down, then pump and wind again with finger pressure on the spool.

Thank you mate I will try that. 

I just forgot to set the drag at all until I got that fish. I'll never make that mistake again. 

Went out Jervis Bay Friday and made sure my drags were nice and light. Got two kingies 58cm and they took some big dives and line off the reel. I was running 80 lb but didn't want to risk it. Landed and released them both safely.

• Like 1