All quiet on the Eastern seaboard?

big Neil

So, apart from the flash flooding and the strong winds affecting the opportunities for you city dwellers to wet a line, has anybody noticed how quiet the site has been recently?

I, of course, have a totally different reason for not going fishing. It's too flaming hot. I can't afford to get any more heat affected. Been drinking so much water the river has dropped another foot this week.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass on my observation... anybody been doing anything interesting during the fishing doldrums?

Here's a question for somebody to answer. Why do we need to have the change to PE for rods and line? Wasn't it easy enough for us to understand either lbs breaking strain or 4-8kg one piece rod?

Where did this come from and why was it necessary...or was it?

bn

• Like 5

Sydneys (and the Central Wests) weather has been all over the shop recently!

I've fished for cod the last 3 weekends and been donutted each time... time for a change of target species this weekend!

I actually find PE ratings helpful when buying braid, as it is a measure of the thickness of the line. I look for the lowest PE braid I can find for the desired breaking strain, as this usually translates to better casting distance.

Edited by R E G I C Y C L E
  • Thanks 1

Hi Neil. Hope you are not feeling the heat as much as I am of late, used to love Summer but now just can't breathe with the hot weather and spend most of my time locked up in my bedroom looking at old video tapes.

I had a young bloke here to try and pick my brain about fishing in general ( try and help new fishoes out a much as I can ) and he started talking PE this and PE that and I thought " what the *&%^ is this guy on about. When he left I found a couple of rods and reels I have and they have this PE talk on them so I asked Google what it was all about.

Live and learn something new every day.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

So, apart from the flash flooding and the strong winds affecting the opportunities for you city dwellers to wet a line, has anybody noticed how quiet the site has been recently?

I, of course, have a totally different reason for not going fishing. It's too flaming hot. I can't afford to get any more heat affected. Been drinking so much water the river has dropped another foot this week.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass on my observation... anybody been doing anything interesting during the fishing doldrums?

Here's a question for somebody to answer. Why do we need to have the change to PE for rods and line? Wasn't it easy enough for us to understand either lbs breaking strain or 4-8kg one piece rod?

Where did this come from and why was it necessary...or was it?

bn

well december has been raining and for some reason all my flatty spots are not producing and no perlagics in sydney harbour

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Well b.n., P.E means S.F.A. to me, I have N.F.I., and really I.D.G.A.F.         Understand?  🤣

YKS.....................understand? You seem to do alright Dave without the knowledge.     bn

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Hi Neil. Hope you are not feeling the heat as much as I am of late, used to love Summer but now just can't breathe with the hot weather and spend most of my time locked up in my bedroom looking at old video tapes.

I had a young bloke here to try and pick my brain about fishing in general ( try and help new fishoes out a much as I can ) and he started talking PE this and PE that and I thought " what the *&%^ is this guy on about. When he left I found a couple of rods and reels I have and they have this PE talk on them so I asked Google what it was all about.

Live and learn something new every day.

Frank

Sorry to hear that you're struggling a bit Frank, but great to see that you are still keen to pass on some of your hard earned expertise to some newbies. This is probably the first time that the heat and humidity has got to me. I'll be glad when the cooler weather arrives and I will feel more like fishing again. Keep in touch mate.   bn

4 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Sydneys (and the Central Wests) weather has been all over the shop recently!

I've fished for cod the last 3 weekends and been donutted each time... time for a change of target species this weekend!

I actually find PE ratings helpful when buying braid, as it is a measure of the thickness of the line. I look for the lowest PE braid I can find for the desired breaking strain, as this usually translates to better casting distance.

Thanks for your feedback. Been hard going on the Cod down here too. I'll be glad when it cools down a bit and I feel more like going fishing. Good luck on the weekend.   bn

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

We have been catching cod down in Lake Mulwala. No monsters but something at least. 
I will make some posts soon. Headed home shortly from a stopover in Gundagai. 
Weather has been so hot some days 39. 

Yeh, far too hot for this old fart to be out on the water with little to no shade Donna. I'll bide my time and go fishing when it cools down a bit, assuming there's enough water in the river.

Look forward to your reports.    bn

• Like 1