Port Hacking

Headed out early this morning, up past Lilli Pilli.

Various baits, all attacked by small reddies, though 2 were just over the limit, and the bream as the first fish caught.  Also a just over size flounder, too small to keep, and a jewie at 65cm. Nothing on the surface apart from pillies. There should be bonnies and frigates at this time of year, none to be seen anywhere.

No yakkas to be caught. I hooked a solid fish, bit of weight to it then the hooks chewed off almost straight away. I'm guessing a good sized tailor.

As I was heading home on the run out tide, I decided to have a fish on the drift, sitting just off the sand bank near the ballast heap. A soft plastic prawn thrown over the bank, and an unweighted pillie on ganged hooks out in the channel. After a while the smaller flattie grabbed the plastic, but that was the only hit. Spooked 2 other small flatties as I was drifting along, and they swam off.

Decided that was enough, so I wound in the pillie at a bit of speed. When it was near the boat and just under the surface, a brown rocket followed the pillie at speed. It was the larger flattie, it was way off the bottom and obviously hungry. I slowed speed and the flattie slowed speed, and swam around the pillie a couple of times. I jigged the pillie and the flattie swam up to it and away from it, mouth opening and closing a few times. I jigged the pillie right past the flattie's mouth, the mouth opened and the pillie disappeared in one gulp, like being sucked up in a vacuum, the pillie was just inhaled. Interesting to watch the flattie's reaction to the bait. 

A bit of a fight by the flattie. When I hauled it up, the 3 ganged hooks holding the pillie were sticking in various parts of the flattie's mouth and not coming out easily, so I decided to keep it, otherwise it would have been released. Headed home after that.

fish.jpeg.436_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 20

Nice feed Dave!

The sight of the flatty taking the pilly would have been good see and very nice fillets from that sized fish! I headed out yesterday arvo for a quick whiting bash and got 4 up to 35cm up river. Gunnamatta was covered in weed and Maiainbar didn't have enough water on it.

Well done Yowie, a good feed there. Seems like the lack of surface action wasn’t a once of, wierd there wasn’t much around early this morning. Good job with the jewie

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice feed Dave!

The sight of the flatty taking the pilly would have been good see and very nice fillets from that sized fish! I headed out yesterday arvo for a quick whiting bash and got 4 up to 35cm up river. Gunnamatta was covered in weed and Maiainbar didn't have enough water on it.

Thanks Rob, a couple of feeds there. 4 whiting would be a good meal.

I have seen flatties do it before, though not very often. The pillie was some distance from the boat, bouncing along the bottom, so as I retrieved it, it probably attracted the attention of the flattie and it took off to see what was happening. Many people think flatties just sit on the bottom and suck in anything that swims past it's nose, that is not the case.

Edited by Yowie

51 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done Yowie, a good feed there. Seems like the lack of surface action wasn’t a once of, wierd there wasn’t much around early this morning. Good job with the jewie

Thanks Issac. Thought the jewie was close to size, until I pulled it out and onto the measure mat.

Pillies jumping, but nothing else near me. One rat kingie swimming around the boat at times, but nothing else.

• Like 1

Nice mix of fish Dave!

Shame about loosing the tailor.

Plenty of standard Bonnie’s outside. Other than seeing a couple of watsons scoot by gunnamatta wharf a few weeks back, haven’t seen or read many reports of them around in the numbers like they were last year.

15 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice stuff Dave.

I think this might've been the first time I've observed you using plastics. But maybe I haven't been paying attention! 🤣

Nice couple of feeds.

I have used plastics before, but not very often. Zoran has threatened me before with his plastic bonito, however, I keep my distance when he mentions it. 🤣

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice mix of fish Dave!

Shame about loosing the tailor.

Plenty of standard Bonnie’s outside. Other than seeing a couple of watsons scoot by gunnamatta wharf a few weeks back, haven’t seen or read many reports of them around in the numbers like they were last year.

A couple of feeds. Felt like a decent tailor, although only on for a very short time.

Should be bonnies up river - have not yet seen even a frigate.

Tasty catch again Dave ... congrats ... hope everything goes well today. Cheers Z

15 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I think this might've been the first time I've observed you using plastics. But maybe I haven't been paying attention! 🤣

Don't let him fool ya ... he's just saying that to get in with the "cool kids". 🤘🤘

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

I have used plastics before, but not very often. Zoran has threatened me before with his plastic bonito, however, I keep my distance when he mentions it. 🤣

I have the supersized SP bonnie rigged and ready - the slappin' is a-comin' !! 

BTW several folks have referred to me as @Zoran but I have no idea who this @Zoran is ... appears he joined and never came back ... and he's taking up a valuable Deckee id !!! 

Maybe I should talk to Donna about swapping to this id 🤔

Cheers

the real "Zoran"

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Tasty catch again Dave ... congrats ... hope everything goes well today. Cheers Z

Don't let him fool ya ... he's just saying that to get in with the "cool kids". 🤘🤘

I have the supersized SP bonnie rigged and ready - the slappin' is a-comin' !! 

BTW several folks have referred to me as @Zoran but I have no idea who this @Zoran is ... appears he joined and never came back ... and he's taking up a valuable Deckee id !!! 

Maybe I should talk to Donna about swapping to this id 🤔

Cheers

the real "Zoran"

We can't have that can we!!

Member goneeeeeee 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

We can't have that can we!!

Member goneeeeeee 

Thanks Donna ... out of curiosity is there a way to swap to @Zoran without losing connection to all my past posts ? 

Cheers Z

Zoran. I had a similar situation. When I joined this site I wanted to use my old nick name  that I have had since I was about 20 years of age and used it on several fishing sites over the years. That name was " Nimrod " but the name was taken by a user that had never posted, so I had to choose another user name " FrankS ".

Frank

PS the F is in lower case .

Edited by frankS

3 hours ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Yet another good feed Yowie. You must live on fish with all you catch!!

A couple of meals a week. Most of my family are not big fish eaters, so they wince a little when I mention "going fishing."  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers

the real "Zoran"

Yes, looked good, 2 more skin cancers cut out. No swimming or beach for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, frankS said:

Zoran. I had a similar situation. When I joined this site I wanted to use my old nick name  that I have had since I was about 20 years of age and used it on several fishing sites over the years. That name was " Nimrod " but the name was taken by a user that had never posted, so I had to choose another user name " FrankS ".

Frank

We will just have to remember to call you Nimrod going forward ! 

Take care Nimrod.

Cheers Z

42 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Yes, looked good, 2 more skin cancers cut out. No swimming or beach for 2 weeks.

Look after yourself mate. Cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank

I could have fixed that Frank!

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks Donna ... out of curiosity is there a way to swap to @Zoran without losing connection to all my past posts ? 

Cheers Z

Yes you can go to your settings and then to Display Name and select "change" 
You can change it every 30 days

Why change it though? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Why change it though? 

Just thought it may simplify things .... several folks lately have referenced me as @Zoran in their posts ....

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Just thought it may simplify things .... several folks lately have referenced me as @Zoran in their posts ....

Zoran, also @Zoran,  Zoran the Fisherman, etc etc. That is how your name pops up at times when others quote you. 

I can tell you, there is only one Zoran here. 🤣

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 7:13 PM, Yowie said:

Zoran, also @Zoran,  Zoran the Fisherman, etc etc. That is how your name pops up at times when others quote you. 

I can tell you, there is only one Zoran here. 🤣

Perhaps I can clear this up a little.

When the @ symbol is applied before a members display name a list will start to appear.

When you see the members CORRECT name you can select it and THAT MEMBER will be notified. If you select any other that member will be notified.

The @ symbol is not a quote it is a search for a specific member in the database.