Drifting for flatties - Sydney Heads

Tried for Kingies around the heads and got smoked by a big one on 80lb braid with 80lb leader on a live slimy. Landed a nice Samson fish, very early in the season given water temp was 19.7.

Highlight was boating 17 Blue spot flatties - all around 40cm (between 3 of us)

Bait was easy with large schools of slimies in the surface at the heads.

lots of whales close in and within 20m of the boat while drifting

IMG_3846.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Tried for Kingies around the heads and got smoked by a big one on 80lb braid with 80lb leader on a live slimy. Landed a nice Samson fish, very early in the season given water temp was 19.7.

IMG_3846.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

Any chance it was shark?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, faker said:

Any chance it was shark?

I spoke to a guy in a boat on the water today - was fishing near Coogee - showed me a small mako - a meter or so, that he caught on a livie off the bottom. They can pull line.

• Like 1

Nice work there Bob, a good feed to be had by all.

Whale entertainment, AND, you don't have to pay for a charter boat to take you there. Watching whales, catching fish, what else do you want to do?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, faker said:

Any chance it was shark?

That was my initial thought also, but it headed straight for the bottom, which most species do f sharks don’t do and catching seriola species and bringing them in whole, suggested it probably wasn’t, but could well have been. (Last season I boated 960 Kingies, so pretty familiar with how Kingies fight) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Great feed there Bob but disappointing about the larger fish. As for unusual fish, a mate fishing inside the Harbour yesterday caught a small Pearl Perch. 

Wow pearl perch in sydney harbour - and in spring, who would have thought that ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great job Bob. Pity about the big one that got away would have been nice to land that one. 
cheers Zoran 

Would have indeed Zoran, the fellow who was on the rod comes out with me infrequently, so not very experienced and just put too much hurt on the fish (watched too many TV shows where they flick the big tuna into boats with tuna poles.)

13 hours ago, Larkin said:

I spoke to a guy in a boat on the water today - was fishing near Coogee - showed me a small mako - a meter or so, that he caught on a livie off the bottom. They can pull line.

Probably one of the best ”table”  sharks - at 1m, (and bled), it would have been good eating.

19 hours ago, Pickles said:

IMG_3846.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

Kings are a great fight but quality eating, cant go past the flathead, nice report, beutifull seas, free what watching, ahhhhh, thats life