Sydney Kingfish - With Video

DeanFish

Hi Raiders,

Headed just outside the Sydney Heads this morning with my mate Josh (AKA Devil Ray).

We were on the hunt for Kingfish and had a good day out catching 6 Kings and 1 Bonito.

Here is a clip showing some of the results.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Cheers Oziodin!

Hi Mick 54, the double hook-up were the first fish caught for the day and were taken on live yakkas (we only had 3 yakkas and they were gone within the first 10 minutes). The other kings were caught on Cali squid slow trolling with size 10 ball sinkers (after I snagged my downrigger bomb and lost it...). The Bonito was caught on a Rapala X-Rap 15.

Edited by DeanFish

Nice guys, good to see the Bonnie's are finally here to play again, we got one yesterday and heaps of rats. Keep an eye out for packs of birds on the surface eating stuff, we picked up a super fresh large cuttle fish and used it for bait when whe stopped to see what one group was feeding on, we had no squid and it worked a treat!

So true!

I caught my first king on a jig last week, 15kg rod finally came up tight and was almost under the boat with the load. Called it for a hoody and turned out to be a rat at 55cm WTF.

They go harder the harder you fight and all pull hard, gotta be one of the best sportfish.

Nice, any legal? Plenty around at the moment, did you hit the artificial reef?

Hi Taksa, No we didn't hit the artificial and 62cm was the biggest. Would love a few big ones but more than happy to catch 60cm types all day. They would have to be my favourite fish to catch.

Edited by DeanFish

Nice guys, good to see the Bonnie's are finally here to play again, we got one yesterday and heaps of rats. Keep an eye out for packs of birds on the surface eating stuff, we picked up a super fresh large cuttle fish and used it for bait when whe stopped to see what one group was feeding on, we had no squid and it worked a treat!

Hi DownToFish,

The Bonnie's are great to catch and one of my favourite to eat, i find they are more likely to take the hard bodies trolled at a faster pass (5-7 knots) as opposed to dead/live baits slow trolled at 2 knots... Do you find the same?.

Nice work guys looks like a great morning. Did better than me today only caught 3 bonito before having to head back in as my mate was sea sick!

Cheers Rockett1985. What did you find was the best method for the Bonnie's? we got our Bonnito on an x-rap 15.

Well done boys! Great video of your trip! I agree with how hard a king fights. I can image your faces the day that 1m+ hits your line! Maybe it will be your next trip. Great work. :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers Scratchie!

Already plotting the plan for next trip...

Hey mate been having some luck on the Williamson 5.5" skirts any colour really and small shallow diving X-RAPS to about 6" in size. Like the Williamson skirts makes a nice bubble trail to get them excited been getting rat kings on them too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi DownToFish,

The Bonnie's are great to catch and one of my favourite to eat, i find they are more likely to take the hard bodies trolled at a faster pass (5-7 knots) as opposed to dead/live baits slow trolled at 2 knots... Do you find the same?.

Definitely mate, I have a lively lures 4" Mack bait been using it the past 3 seasons and it has copped some serious damage, and kept me very well fed.

I tried a new technique with the bonito last night, fillies at skinned and cut out the blood line, then blow torched like they do at sushi train (with teriyaki sauce and mayo ontop then torched) tasted amazing !

My mate swears by his Rapala he has, mack bait usually wins though ;)

I have heard of guys who chase marlin who troll large 3 hook flasher rigs for triple Hookups so next time we start hooking up properly to Bonnie's I'm going to give it a go. We get good results with Christmas tree skirts as well, never tried trolling a dead bait but got them at longy before free spooling an unweighted yakka a few times

Yeah I was out at the colours on Sunday, rats rats and more rats!!!

Weird thing was they wouldn't touch live squid? But when we put out fresh squid strips they were smashing it!

All around the 55-60cm mark. Great fun but no dinner!