Broken bay lure fishing

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

put the boat in yesterday at pretty beach. Took my friend with me as a decky.

it was a great session chucking lures. Conditions were ideal, calm waters and bait a plenty. We were really poling them for a while - a fish a cast. We also got 4 doubles (two fish on the one lure). 

Ended up almost double bag limit on the bonito and a few tailor and salmon thrown in for good measure. 

IMG_1384.JPG

Coming back in the arvo right in close we found water around 24.5-25, some places out wide near Terrigal fad and further were as high as 27, found some solid bait balls in close off Broken Bay and I know a number of small blacks were caught there last week, more then capable of achieving one in our boats

Guest Guest123456789

@big Neil we eat them raw like @Farvos mentioned, sashimi style with Chinese dumplings, pickled ginger, seaweed salad, soy sauce and wasabi. Delicious. It was my wife's 30th and she asked me to catch them before we left so the pressure was on!

do you eat Murray cod? I've seen you release them. I've heard they are beautiful eating.

8 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

@big Neil we eat them raw like @Farvos mentioned, sashimi style with Chinese dumplings, pickled ginger, seaweed salad, soy sauce and wasabi. Delicious. It was my wife's 30th and she asked me to catch them before we left so the pressure was on!

do you eat Murray cod? I've seen you release them. I've heard they are beautiful eating.

Yes they are a good table fish provided they aren't overly fat One of 55 - 60 cms is usually ideal. Another native freshwater species Golden Perch (Yellowbelly) is also good eating. Birthday wishes to your wife and good onya for getting her some nice fish for her birthday. Cheers, BN

On 22 February 2017 at 8:03 PM, mmaclure said:

Regarding the bait and blacks off broken bay, how far out are you talking? Would it be withinn 2nautical miles????

Cheers in advance 

Cap n Mac 

Don't have an epirb? Mate I know a couple caught in as close as the 45 meter Mark, the schools of bait we were finding with some big balls were even closer, follow the bait find the fish

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Bonito is ok when its super fresh but you should bleed it straight away & get it straight on ice.

Otherwise the flesh gets very soft & turns a dark colour.

No you don't bleed Bonito, just like you don't bleed tailor, just chuck them straight into an ice slurry. I then gut and fillet the next day.

Sydney fish markets did a study on cleaned vs uncleaned fish. The uncleaned fish be sold for another two days. Reason being, the knife introduces bacteria, particularly if it pierces the backbone. Blood can't enter the flesh, that's an urban legend, it congeals in the innards. You cant sell most fish cleaned for this reason.

Give it a go try a cleaned and uncleaned fish. You'd be surprised, I've left an uncleaned fish in the fridge for 4 days, then ate it and it's was still beautifully fresh.

You guys have to try flathead sashimi . Only one caveat - eat within 6 hours, oh and have a very sharp knife. First time I tried it I was blown away. Needs to be a fish legal fish under 45cm. Any bigger its too flaky and we really should put the big girls back...