Limitations of Stacer 509 sea runner

Night raider

I have recently purchased a Stacer 509 sea runner with 90hp evinrude etec 

my question is what are my limitations in regards to taking this boat offshore fishing out Sydney heads and how far would you take it on a good weather day ,

could it be possible to get to some reefs 

cant see any reason why not.if in doubt try travelling with another boat...I fish from a 4.8 and have travelled 30nm to the shelf off Swansea..if you stick to good days and watch the weather forecasts on the many apps available you should be fine..if planning a trip put it on the forum and see if another raider is fishing the same day..im sure someone wont mind you tagging along to learn..rick

Lots of variables in regards to weather, level of boating experiance etc etc. some people might simply feel happy fishing harbours while others might take that outfit 50k + offshore on a good day. 

If it's your first time out there you could either take someone who does it regularly or tag along with another boat. Boats can handle quite well even in quite bad conditions when driven properly, its building up that experiance that takes time. 

Check the weather conditions, listen to the regular forecast updates on your marine radio and plan the destination accordingly. If a 10-20 knot NE is forecast it's often easier to head towards the NE so when the wind starts to pick up you can head home with the wind behind you ( same for southerly direction ).

Build up hours on the water and you will find you have a very capable boat, one of the worst parts I used to find was navigating the harbour with all the boat traffic and wash generated from some boats.

Have been on family boats all my life feel very comfortable boating but this is my first personal boat .. I normally put the boat in at Rhodes boat ramp and heading out to rose bay and just outside the heads 

With just myself onboard and feel quite comfortable venturing bit further out 

still need to purchase an epirb/flares 

You are on the right track sticking to 2nm out (and maybe a bit further up and down the coast). Being a pressed tinny it is light in weight with a moderate V and so is not suitable for covering many miles of open ocean (no matter how good the skipper is). It will put you in range of  the 70m depth reefs which are good drifting grounds. Keep an eye out for the charter boats as they will know the good grounds. There are also several map books available.

Edited by kingfishbig

If you are used to the harbour then you should be fine outside, the harbour tends to be the bumpiest part of my run to the sea (i launch at Roseville most times). Get the RMS information on the gear you need for offshore, learn how to use a marine radio properly and log on with Marine Rescue. Dont go outside the heads without the right safety  gear- I have a mate who was checked while outside and the RMS didnt believe him that he didnt go wider than 2Nm- they booked him, not to mention brown stuff happens even close to shore! As for spots google a few reefs- Long Reef, The Peak, The colours, Mugs, the whale, they all hold, fish at times-it depends on what you are targetting

21 hours ago, JonD said:

You don't need an epirb untill you head more than 2nm offshore.

Good to have one anyway.

as you might not intend to go 2 nm offshore but could easily end up out there with flat batteries,  failed radio equipment, etc. 

better to be safe than sorry. 

Edited by Trailcraft43

27 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Good to have one anyway.

as you might not intend to go 2 nm offshore but could easily end up out there with flat batteries,  failed radio equipment, etc. 

better to be safe than sorry. 

Yes agree they are good to have, though I doubt to many would use one for a flat battery.  Mobile phones pick quite well out to the shelf and beyond. In saying that I only use a single battery these days but carry a small high energy jump battery ( which has been used on plenty of 4x4s after owners have left lights on at the ramp etc) . I also carry a spare handheld vhf as well as a epirb and plb. 

I do take my boat a fair way offshore (80km in a 5m boat) at times, hence the extra safety gear. 

22 hours ago, JonD said:

You don't need an epirb untill you head more than 2nm offshore.

You are correct JonD... epirbs and radios are additional requirements once you are 2nm offshore...

But Night Raider ... just be aware that all the other safety gear for "Open Waters" is required to be onboard even if you are less then 2nm offshore but are in what Maritime defines as "Open Waters".

Maritime has defined sydney harbour "Open Waters" as a line from Cannae Pt (north harbour) to South Head.  The map can be found here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/usingwaterways/maps/boating-maps/9d-port-jackson.pdf

So even fishing North Head puts you into Open Waters.

Net is ....if you are experimenting around there already, just get the epirb and radio. It will make it safer for you and avoid the hassles if the conditions are right to duck further outside.

Cheers

Zoran

Not sure...guess you could call Maritime and ask. I've just not bothered to explore that path.

Without being over dramatic what's your life or some other's life or boat worth? Open waters present an additional challenge to boaters. I believe in a skippers duty of care. I'm responsible for my crew and my craft. Also responsible to monitor/answer emergency calls for help - I'd want the same duty of care from other skippers if I required assistance. Over the years I have towed or stayed with my share of craft until help arrived.

If it all goes pear shaped and the authorities subsequently conclude you were in open waters without the required safety gear, then you as skipper would be held responsible for your crew and craft. I also suspect the insurance company would walk away as well. ... and the mishap may not even be your fault (eg someone runs into you).

Cheers

Zoran

Zoran 

I plan on purchasing a GME Epirb/gps tomorrow  are these registered online another words could I purchase the epirb then go offshore next day or wait for do I need to wait on registration cert?? 

Also plan on buying floating hand held vhf radio without the having the required radio licence would I be in trouble during safety inspections, I do plan on getting the radio license just plan on getting offshore this weekend 

thanks for any info you can provide 

1 hour ago, Night raider said:

Thanks everyone for all your advice and tips  I will purchase and epirb/radio better to safe ..

just out of curiosity what is the fine like for being in open water and not having correct safety  gear ?

I recon if you played dumb and made you thought you had to be 2nm offshore you would more than likely just get warned first time. Realistically once you have the right gear you will feel a hell of a lot better out there, most epirbs have a 10 year battery and cost bellow $300, $30 per year is pretty good value in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Night raider said:

Zoran 

I plan on purchasing a GME Epirb/gps tomorrow  are these registered online another words could I purchase the epirb then go offshore next day or wait for do I need to wait on registration cert?? 

Also plan on buying floating hand held vhf radio without the having the required radio licence would I be in trouble during safety inspections, I do plan on getting the radio license just plan on getting offshore this weekend 

thanks for any info you can provide 

You can register EPIRBs online .. its quick and easy...you can tie it to a number of craft....eg your boat and your offroad vehicle if you are into 4wd outings. So spread the investment across a number of sports. As JonD says they last a long time.

You can have a radio on board without a licence.... and have it on to listen to VHF 16 distress frequency.  Talking on VHF without a certificate of proficiency (ie without training) is whats prohibited. But then again I have not heard of anyone being fined for using it in an emergency situation.

For added safety, you can log in (and log off on return) with Marine Rescue Sydney via Phone or their mobile app (Marine Rescue NSW). If you download the app.... its a press of a button to call them, the number is in the app. You can also create a profile in the app of your vessel, car, favorite boat ramp etc... and use the app to log in and log off.

Welcome to the wide world offshore !

Cheers

Zoran

Pulling up an anchor in strong current in deep water can be deadly if the anchor rope is allowed to tangle around the prop in a smaller boat.I have experienced 3 frights in 50 years.This is is the worst case scenario when the current drives down the transom and the boater has to reach over to cut the rope.The best drive-off technique is to go at right angle to the current quickly and away from the rope and ball.No doubt others will have other methods. 

11 hours ago, Stradic said:

If you decide to  get an epirb and want to go out further  let me know and i will send you some marks that  hold good fish but they're  more than 2nm out and you're boat will be fine ona good day. 

Thanks stradic 

please forward me some of the gps marks  you are willing to share via PM so I can put them into navionics to see the distance....etc 

thanks in advance 

Update.... safety gear has been installed 

GME Gx700 vhf radio with 1.8m antenna 

GME epirb and built in GPS

will feel much safer going offshore now 

my apologies for thinking this safety gear is optional extra when in realty if I’m stuck out there it’s the only way to get help B8CE7898-3C38-4BC8-9E40-98CBB8958DC2.jpeg

• Like 2

Awesome Night Raider !!!  No need to apologize...its a learning curve ... We're all just at different parts of the curve. I have found in life (and particularly in boating) the only dumb question is the one that's not asked. There's always something to learn.

If you haven't found it already, check the Fishraider "Links" tab. Lots of helpful info to plan your offshore outings.

Cheers

Zoran