Silly fishing

JonD

The kids silly cheap rod challenge is gaining momentum with the challenge upping in weight class over the last couple of days. I have to say these little rods at around $10 are simply amazing and such fun ( I want one ). The 8lb braid is a little heavy on the bream but more than enough on the gummies.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice...  where do I get one ???.rick

Don't think we can mention non sponsors but I believe most tackle stores sell the kids outfits, just look for one with a graphite blank that goes the full length of the rod.

6 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Just.. wow

what a great part of the world you live in, i never thought id say this bay scratchie could be jealous :)

nice fish of course

Bloody oath I am! I’ve never caught a koala on a $10 rod! Haha ? 

Nice work Jon. Love the challenge, the photos, the variety of fish and the big smiles! Well done :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Bloody oath I am! I’ve never caught a koala on a $10 rod! Haha ? 

Nice work Jon. Love the challenge, the photos, the variety of fish and the big smiles! Well done :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

I'm with Scratchie on the Koala. Never casted to one but have thrown plenty of lures up into trees.

Oh and great photos again.

I bought the $10 specials for my 3 son's when they were young. They always caught the biggest fish? ?? Maybe something in that..... even lost a couple rods that went south while untangling other lines.

There are some cranking fish there those bream and that tailor seriously rock. 

Cheers R&B

So ya reckon soak in some milk and they'd be fine eh?  Washed down with mouthful of bush tea to complement the gum leaves.

BTW, smashing photos and fishing on that gear...makes me wonder why I just spent my money on all that Penn gear ...  from Dinga of course !

Cheers

Z

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonD said:

Don't be fooled by the koala, fisheries are using all kinds of disguises these days.

I was wondering what that koala was doing up a pine tree!

damn sneaky them fisheries fellas! :-rolleyes

The cheap rods we bought were graphite all the way through, so a bit tougher than most kids outfits.

Today took one of the rods to a whole new level. Headed offshore where we found a few dolphin fish and quickly setup some small skirted lures after finding they wouldn't take hard bodies ( plenty chased back to the boat ) 

Had two rods with 6in skirts and the silly rod with a 4ins black and gold metal head. First troll past the fish trap buoys we were rewarded with another species to the silly rod, Unfortunatly the dolly was 2cm to short.

Next troll past and the little rod went off again and with a huge amount of thrashing at the surface we soon realised we had a small marlin on the silly stick ( oops). Surprisingly it pretty much stayed at the surface and we soon got the right to it, though it was way to green to try and get hold of. Luckily the hook pulled making a release far easier ( also lucky it never really got going). I've had a few marlin behave like that then suddenly go crazy as soon as you grab the bill, only to carry on fighting much harder.

Plenty of wildlife out there today including turtles, risso's dolphins, bottle nose dolphins, false killer whales, penguins and seals. Couldn't photograph everything as it gets pretty hectic at times in a small rib. 

Managed 3 snapper on the way home too.

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

You are one amazing photographer and angler, too...you and the family. Great seeing your reports Jon. bn

Not this time big Neil, these were all taken by my daughter, I stayed in the boat.

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey jon is that baitball  bellowsfish..rick

Sorry my daughter says they are snipe fish, there seems to be lots of patches of them about, in fact there's plenty of bait just about everywhere. Saying that we didn't see as much bait out wide as what we did in 60m of water, slimeys everywhere in close.

Edited by JonD