E-Tec or 4 Stroke Motor

Rebel

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a new boat. Probably a 4.6 metre  Stacer or Quintrex  runabout. I have always bought  oil mix motors, but now I just don't know. The motor will be a 60 hp. I am in two minds at what to buy E-Tec or 4 Stroke.. Any suggestions.

Cheers.

Etec arent the only manufacturers of 2 stroke.....i beleive mercury and yamaha also make 2 strokes but i dont know what HP options they have.

All that being said...ive had ETECs for the last 6 yrs and love every minute of it.

Sheer unrelenting power....no stuffing around struggling to get on plane and good fuel economy. Also very reliable.

PS.....Telwater (Quintrex) is now the exclusive distributor of ETEC in Australia...they prerig quinnies in the factory with etecs.....

Telwater is Australias biggest boat manufacturer....tells u something??

G’day Rebel, first up I’m no expert. 

From what I’ve read, seen pro’s talk and experienced modern four strokes are as good if not better than 2 strokes now. 

Equal or lighter in weight. 

No need to purchase and mix and store oil. 

No oil smell. 

On the “unsure” aspects, 

im not sure how service costs compare - coz with a new motor you have to get it serviced by an authorised dealer to maintain the warranty, 

and 

I’m not sure about holeshot power, but I’ve got a Four Stroke and it has no problem getting my boat up on the plane, but I’ve got a 6m fibreglass boat with a bigger hp 150 motor than a 60. 

My way of thinking is I’m not fussed about any % of  holeshot either way, as long as it gets up quick, which mine does anyway. 

I’d look seriously at a Four Stroke. 

Jamie

25 minutes ago, 552Evo said:

G’day Rebel, first up I’m no expert. 

From what I’ve read, seen pro’s talk and experienced modern four strokes are as good if not better than 2 strokes now. 

Equal or lighter in weight. 

No need to purchase and mix and store oil. 

No oil smell. 

On the “unsure” aspects, 

im not sure how service costs compare - coz with a new motor you have to get it serviced by an authorised dealer to maintain the warranty, 

and 

I’m not sure about holeshot power, but I’ve got a Four Stroke and it has no problem getting my boat up on the plane, but I’ve got a 6m fibreglass boat with a bigger hp 150 motor than a 60. 

My way of thinking is I’m not fussed about any % of  holeshot either way, as long as it gets up quick, which mine does anyway. 

I’d look seriously at a Four Stroke. 

Jamie

All of the new 2 strokes be ETEC Yamaha or merc dont require manual fuel/oil mix.... it happens inside the engine just like a 4 stroke.....the 2 stroke technology your refering to ended back in the Jurassic period ! 

Most of the new 2 strokes have also done away with oil smell too.

I have a 150HO etec and love it on my 5.7 stacer bowrider.    I doubt any 150 4 stroke would come close to matching it’s performance.   It has a nice note to it, still pretty quiet and no fumes.

Although if I was just fishing and trolling I might be tempted for a 4 stroke.   I’d be looking at the number of cylinders and displacement compared to other similar sized engines and getting the maximum hp the boat can have. 

Edited by Welster

I have a 60hp ETEC on my Stacer 459 Outlaw and love it! There’s no mixing of fuel required. It has an oil tank and is self mixing. Mine is over 4 years old and runs like a dream.

Edited by Berleyguts

Lol.Im still in the Jurassic period then mixing my own oil.You blokes make it sound like it takes half a day to mix the oil with fuel and need a massive factory to store the oil in.lol.

If i bought a new engine etec would be my choice too.Second hand either would suffice.

27 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Lol.Im still in the Jurassic period then mixing my own oil.You blokes make it sound like it takes half a day to mix the oil with fuel and need a massive factory to store the oil in.lol.

If i bought a new engine etec would be my choice too.Second hand either would suffice.

Sorry Fab didnt mean any harm !!!!

I was simply pointing out that 4 stroke club cant get their heads wrapped around the new 2 stroke technology and always seem to describe the new 2 strokes as old clunky smoky noisy old tech.......when they are far from it.... 

We must have been due for this question again haha. 

These are the main factors I see. Four strokes are a bit quieter out of the pipe to me than an Etec so the noise it puts into the water is quieter. For fishing/ trolling duties this is important to me. When I have a choice why would I pick the louder one?

Next, oil. Etec engines have to mix oil with its fuel. Four stroke does not. Etec goes through WAY more oil than a 4 stroke, and the good 2 stroke oil they recommend is expensive.

What etecs have that is better than a 4 is it’s stronger power delivery. If I was more into sport boating, wanting to accelerate real hard, tow people etc I would choose Etec no question. For fishing duties I think four stroke is better. 

• Like 2

I've been on plenty of boats with etec's, sorry but they still smell to me. I would firstly check you have a decent etec mechanic as the few that own them down here have to drive 3 hrs for repairs. 

I don't care if I get the racist card pulled on me but I've yet to meet A recreational person who hasn't had a list of issues from their etec once they reach over 500hrs. For those on here who love them, I have never met any of you in person, I'm only mentioning people I actually know.

Take a look at what outboards are on water taxis, water police, maritime, oyster punts, house boats etc.  Taking the word of tv hosts who change brands at the drop of a hat is a joke even if they do use good gear.

My advice is to have a very good google search on any outboard you may consider whether 2 or 4 stroke,  just put the engine followed by problems and see where it takes you. I'm amazed how some engines have quite big issues starting from 500hrs on, if it was a car costing $18000+ that had such issues it would be considered quite unexpectable. The trouble is most recreational anglers don't put many hours on their engines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Sorry Fab didnt mean any harm !!!!

I was simply pointing out that 4 stroke club cant get their heads wrapped around the new 2 stroke technology and always seem to describe the new 2 strokes as old clunky smoky noisy old tech.......when they are far from it.... 

I wasn't offended mate.Just found it amusing how spending a whole minute pre-mixing is seen as a big deal by some that's all.

17 minutes ago, JonD said:

I've been on plenty of boats with etec's, sorry but they still smell to me. I would firstly check you have a decent etec mechanic as the few that own them down here have to drive 3 hrs for repairs. 

I don't care if I get the racist card pulled on me but I've yet to meet A recreational person who hasn't had a list of issues from their etec once they reach over 500hrs. For those on here who love them, I have never met any of you in person, I'm only mentioning people I actually know.

Take a look at what outboards are on water taxis, water police, maritime, oyster punts, house boats etc.  Taking the word of tv hosts who change brands at the drop of a hat is a joke even if they do use good gear.

My advice is to have a very good google search on any outboard you may consider whether 2 or 4 stroke,  just put the engine followed by problems and see where it takes you. I'm amazed how some engines have quite big issues starting from 500hrs on, if it was a car costing $18000+ that had such issues it would be considered quite unexpectable. The trouble is most recreational anglers don't put many hours on their engines.

What's the biggest issue people have with smell in your experience mate?Do they get ill?Sea sick?

Fumes don't bother me at all and don't  even notice to be honest even in my old tech outboard.

I would have thought in the big cities and towns their would be sufficient qualified,competent outboard mechanics to deal with E-techs at a reasonable distance from most peoples homes.If you live away from those areas then i wouod think you would have to travel.

In regards to taking the word of any tv host,sales person.......I agree that theres plenty of gullible people out there and you would be an idiot not to do your own research.

Im betting they're  would be a high percentage of boaties that dont even put 50 hours a year on their engines.

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, JonD said:

I would have thought having a qualified mechanic within a reasonable driving distance applies to every outboard brand especially if its a new outboard under warranty....but for some reason this problem only seems to exist for etecs right? 

From my experience most modern 4 strokes are definitely quieter (only slightly) than etecs. No arguments there

If outboard noise is the ducks nuts on your performance criteria then a 4 stroke is definately your go to choice.

Re smoke. The new etecs are as good or very close to the 4 strokes in terms of smoke/fumes. I never had any issues with my etec in that area but perhaps some peoples noses are a little more sensitive.

Re oil consumption....the new etecs leave most of the modern 4 strokes for dead in terms of consumption..yes the engine oil is a little dearer than other brands but when im paying for fuel, tackle, bait, etc every week......to make an issue of the extra $20 bucks (ontop of say another good marine oil) when i buy oil every 6 months is honestly quite laughable and not even worth mentioning.

Etec power and Fuel consumption leaves the 4 strokes for dead, 10 year warranty leaves the 4 strokes for dead. 

If i did a google search of "etec problems" i will get hundreds of results.

If i did a google search of "yamaha problems" i will also get hundreds of results.

All outboard brands have problems.

Yes the water police..taxis etc use 4 strokes but that is really because over the last 30 years they were more reliable than the old 2 stroke technology.

My point is.... technology has progressed, 2 strokes arent technologically what they used to be and evinrude in particular has matched or beaten the other brands on key performance criteria.

Yamaha,Mercury,Honda Evinrude

All respectable brands. Dont be a dinosaur and rule out a good product simply because 30 years ago it didnt perform like the others.

All im suggesting is that you give an ETEC fair consideration just like u would the others. Every outboard brand has its positives and negatives. Do your homework and make an informed decision. (And yes, dont listen to the tv hosts...whoever they are?).

Edited by GoingFishing

59 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Re oil consumption....the new etecs leave most of the modern 4 strokes for dead in terms of consumption..yes the engine oil is a little dearer than other brands but when im paying for fuel, tackle, bait, etc every week......to make an issue of the extra $20 bucks (ontop of say another good marine oil) when i buy oil every 6 months is honestly quite laughable and not even worth mentioning.

Hey mate. I don’t know how you can say that Etecs leave most modern four strokes for dead in oil consumption? Can you elaborate on that? 

2 strokes use ALOT more oil than a four. This is a fact. And the oil they say to use is expensive. To say it’s only $20 extra every 6 months is not right for the average user. Btw not knocking Etec, they have their place just don’t like seeing misleading information.

Imagine the oil charter operators and water police would go through, running their engines all day everyday if they were using etecs. That might be one reason they run 4 strokes.

all new outboards 4strokes, di 2strokes, are all good engines theses days .the most important thing with all outboards is they are rigged right and etecs, 4strokes, has correct rigging ,ie fuel spec, engine height and propped right you will have A GREAT BOAT  . THAT HITS optium rpm .IE rigging dealer has to know there product.cheers dunc333

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

Hey mate. I don’t know how you can say that Etecs leave most modern four strokes for dead in oil consumption? Can you elaborate on that? 

2 strokes use ALOT more oil than a four. This is a fact. And the oil they say to use is expensive. To say it’s only $20 extra every 6 months is not right for the average user. Btw not knocking Etec, they have their place just don’t like seeing misleading information.

Imagine the oil charter operators and water police would go through, running their engines all day everyday if they were using etecs. That might be one reason they run 4 strokes.

They would like any business be trying to minimise their costs.You could put money on it that running those 4 strokes over the etecs is cheaper overall for them with the usage and hours they do.

For the average joe like us i think it would be personal preference which way you'd  go.

One comment early on was 4st are as light as 2s  thats bunk  show me a 4 thats not 10/15% heavier  i repowered from 60 to 90 in a 2st yammie and gained 12 kilo if i went 4st i would have gained 35 kilo  check how the hull you are considering sits in the water with both options...rick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

Service intervals for 4 strokes are significantly higher than a 2 stroke and ur getting an oil change every time you service.....

Again.......u need to read into the oil consumption of the new etecs particularly the g2 lol stop thinking about the old 30 yr old 2 stroke tech that guzzled oil.....new 2 strokes burn less fuel and therefore consume less oil.

Edited by GoingFishing

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Again.......u need to read into the oil consumption of the new etecs particularly the g2 lol stop thinking about the old 30 yr old 2 stroke tech that guzzled oil.....new 2 strokes burn less fuel and therefore consume less oil.

I’m not thinking about 30yr old 2 strokes, I’m talking about etecs. Fuel consumption is about even between etecs and 4’s. It’s just that you have to add an extra litre of 2 stroke oil in the etec for every 50 litres of fuel used.

Yes four strokes need oil changes once a year but it’s still a lot less oil used compared to etec. 

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

One comment early on was 4st are as light as 2s  thats bunk  show me a 4 thats not 10/15% heavier  i repowered from 60 to 90 in a 2st yammie and gained 12 kilo if i went 4st i would have gained 35 kilo  check how the hull you are considering sits in the water with both options...rick

You are comparing old tech 2’s weights to four stroke. Etecs are heavier than old tech 2’s and are about the same weights as fours generally.

Even so, I had an old 60 yammie 2st and upgraded to a 60 Suzuki 4st. The Suzuki is 2kilo lighter.  

15 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I would have thought having a qualified mechanic within a reasonable driving distance applies to every outboard brand especially if its a new outboard under warranty....but for some reason this problem only seems to exist for etecs right? 

From my experience most modern 4 strokes are definitely quieter (only slightly) than etecs. No arguments there

If outboard noise is the ducks nuts on your performance criteria then a 4 stroke is definately your go to choice.

Re smoke. The new etecs are as good or very close to the 4 strokes in terms of smoke/fumes. I never had any issues with my etec in that area but perhaps some peoples noses are a little more sensitive.

Etec power and Fuel consumption leaves the 4 strokes for dead, 10 year warranty leaves the 4 strokes for dead. 

If i did a google search of "etec problems" i will get hundreds of results.

If i did a google search of "yamaha problems" i will also get hundreds of results.

All outboard brands have problems.

Yes the water police..taxis etc use 4 strokes but that is really because over the last 30 years they were more reliable than the old 2 stroke technology.

My point is.... technology has progressed, 2 strokes arent technologically what they used to be and evinrude in particular has matched or beaten the other brands on key performance criteria.

Yamaha,Mercury,Honda Evinrude

All respectable brands. Dont be a dinosaur and rule out a good product simply because 30 years ago it didnt perform like the others.

All im suggesting is that you give an ETEC fair consideration just like u would the others. Every outboard brand has its positives and negatives. Do your homework and make an informed decision. (And yes, dont listen to the tv hosts...whoever they are?).

Yes you might think that a decent mechanic locally to be important ( common sense). In fact we have an etec dealer locally, my comment on locals having to take their outboards 3 hrs away to a decent mechanic is a truthful reply as this is what locals have to do to get their outboards fixed ( the local store have a very poor reputation and tend to make things worse). A local dealer doesn't mean you have something you can rely on. It doesn't bother me in the slightest what car, 4x4, boat or engine anyone uses, I'm open to use any if they've earned a reputation for reliability and resale value. 

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

I didn't mean to start World War Three, but I appreciate your input and thank you. The last boat I had was a Haines Hunter 16C with an old 90hp Johnson. Great boat but as I get older I need something I can handle on my own. This will be my first tinny.

Cheers.