E-Tec or 4 Stroke Motor

Rebel

48 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Yamaha EOS, would you buy a Yank car or a Japanese car? Release the popcorn

Its always going to be japanese engine for me

Both have their pros and cons

Although i prefer 4 strokes, there quieter, less fumes, less vibrations and pleasant to drive with.

I would prefer better holeshot with a 2 stroke but for me, overall 4 strokes suit me better.

You have to know what your intended purpose for the boat is and choose a motor based on that

I guess on a serious note- I have 2 mates that had Etecs- both had problems (of a fairly minor but very annoying nature), one was issues with injectors, the other some electrical stuff which I cant remember exactly. The issue with both motors was that they kicked into limp mode at the drop of a hat and - this was the kicker for me- the local ETEC dealer was (and still is ) an extremely unhelpful character and the time to get proper attention for their problems went on for over a year in both cases.All motors have issues but its how they are solved that is behind a lot of my buying decisions- sure telwater are whacking Etecs on the back of all their boats- its called a commercial agreement- they couldnt give a stuff what went on the back as long as they can get a cut of the sale- AND Etec do it so they can get more motors out there- its got zip to do with how good the motor is. My local Yammie dealer is a bloody gem of a bloke- my motor had 1 issue in 700 hrs of running so far with the hydraulic ram- motor out of warrenty but he reckoned he should of picked it up at its last in warrenty service - so he fixed it for free!Reckon Im buying anything else- nup. I will add one more thing about Etecs-NO WAY in the world am i going to sea with a motor that saw its last service 299hrs ago, just sayin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

I guess on a serious note- I have 2 mates that had Etecs- both had problems (of a fairly minor but very annoying nature), one was issues with injectors, the other some electrical stuff which I cant remember exactly. The issue with both motors was that they kicked into limp mode at the drop of a hat and - this was the kicker for me- the local ETEC dealer was (and still is ) an extremely unhelpful character and the time to get proper attention for their problems went on for over a year in both cases.All motors have issues but its how they are solved that is behind a lot of my buying decisions- sure telwater are whacking Etecs on the back of all their boats- its called a commercial agreement- they couldnt give a stuff what went on the back as long as they can get a cut of the sale- AND Etec do it so they can get more motors out there- its got zip to do with how good the motor is. My local Yammie dealer is a bloody gem of a bloke- my motor had 1 issue in 700 hrs of running so far with the hydraulic ram- motor out of warrenty but he reckoned he should of picked it up at its last in warrenty service - so he fixed it for free!Reckon Im buying anything else- nup. I will add one more thing about Etecs-NO WAY in the world am i going to sea with a motor that saw its last service 299hrs ago, just sayin.

So the takeaway from that is etecs all over australia are bad and should be avoided because of one louzy service mechanic who has poor customer service? Laughable

By that logic....my local yamaha mechanic is useless so i should advise ppl in QLD, WA, NT not to buy yamahas right?

RE Telwater.....yes its a commercial agreement. But do u really think australias biggest boat manufacturer would get into bed with a dud motor brand that would bring reputational damage and unnecessary repair costs fixing parts under warranty all the time? Being the distrubtor and point of sale Telwater takes the onus of repairs and warranty under australian consumer law. 

So sorry...yes...Telwater must have enormous faith in the product to hang their financial and reputational gonads on the line like that.

PS. I agree about the 300 hrs no service thats far fetched.i still take mine in for yearly service and most other etec owners i know do too.

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

I agree with my etec won’t be going 300 hrs or 3 years without a service.  Same as my cars I like fresh clean  oil in them.

4 hours ago, Welster said:

I agree with my etec won’t be going 300 hrs or 3 years without a service.  Same as my cars I like fresh clean  oil in them.

I just put 300 hrs in two year on a new 75 etec pushing a stacer outlaw 469 . Perfectly match package , I always run the motor hard and it has never given me a problem . Now it's off for its first service ?

Edited by chevvyy

Hi all...the one thinng im pickinng up inn this thread is,the people who ownn etecs have had no problems with them annd love them,and the onnes who have never owned one and see heaps of problems.

ive got an etec and its never missed a beat,with arounnd 400 hrs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...the one thinng im pickinng up inn this thread is,the people who ownn etecs have had no problems with them annd love them,and the onnes who have never owned one and see heaps of problems.

The thing I'm picking up is the "N" key on your keyboard is a bit sticky!

LOL!

Edited by fragmeister
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Interesting observation....and there is no one coming forward who owned an etec in the past and sold it due to bad experience that can provide hard first hand evidence.

Its all hearsay based on 30 yr old jurassic mindset ?

40 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Ford’s are better than Holden’s

I thought we already established earlier in this thread that Japanese and south Korean cars were the only cars worth buying?? ??

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Interesting observation....and there is no one coming forward who owned an etec in the past and sold it due to bad experience that can provide hard first hand evidence.

Its all hearsay based on 30 yr old jurassic mindset ?

@jeffb5.8 has had issues. 

On the subject of motor hours.

How do outboard hours translate to other vehicle hours?

For example. I know the following from years of fleet management in the materials handling industry that you would expect to get 15,000 hours at least from a 2.5tonne Toyota Forklift, (20,000 is not uncommon) before a major overhaul was required. These engines were governed so they couldn't get flogged as such and they were regularly serviced. They did work a solid 8 hours day so I guess most of the hours were on a warm engine.

My car averages about 40 klm per hour and I would expect 200,000klm  before the engine needed an overhaul so that equates to  5,000 hours.

I appreciate that engine life is subject to many variables but how many hours would you expect to get out a properly serviced 4 Stroke and 2 Stroke? I have heard some alarmingly low figures ... 1500 hours for example.

I do appreciate that marine engines work in harsh conditions but what is it about them that accounts for this comparatively low life?

Is the stop-start nature of the work they do?

Appreciate your input.

Cheers

Jim

Most of us recreational anglers don't put many hours on our boats, I'm only putting just over 300hrs per year on mine, partly because I drive other boats as much as my own.

Something I mentioned on here after a trip I did to the Daintree two years ago was that I hopped onto a crocodile tour boat in the Daintree. The company own three large punts all powered by Yamaha twin outboards, the boat I was on had two f 70's ( same as what i currently have). I took photos of the engines as they looked like new even though they had clocked 7200 hrs each ( took a photo of the hour meter too). At 10000hrs the Yams get pulled from the busiest boat and swapped to one of the less used out of season boats. 

The skipper of the boat told me how they tried suzuki 70's but due to constant gear changes getting these boats close to crocks on river banks the Suzuki's often failed on a weak linkage in the gearbox. This same weak point is something I was recently told about by an outboard mechanic who stated this to be the same reason most of the abalone fishermen now no longer use suzuki. Abalone fishermen dive on hooker meaning the boat driver has to constantly work the engine in and out of gear to follow the diver. Another friend who chases marlin in his cat with twin 250 Suzuki's has replaced both gearboxes at $12000 each. According to the mechanic I spoke with regarding the abalone boats, both mercury and Yamaha have the strongest gearboxes.

like most etec owners, a good friend recently fishing out of JB had his 175 drop to limp home mode. With 250 hrs on his engine he was constantly quoted it to be the best thing since sliced bread, now his opinion has changed. Needing a new gearbox, computer and injectors he's not to impressed, his engine is outside warranty, like I said many people don't put big hours on an engine. 

So here's the big one I wasn't going to mention. I won a $20000 fishing holiday on Groote through a celebrity fishing show business. This business owned three Haines prowlers with 225 etec's and around six smaller boats all powered by etec. First day and one of the 225's blow metal pieces out through the exhaust, ending with a four hour limp back to the ramp. The skipper informed me how the max they got from the gearboxes was 500hrs and 750hrs from a powerhead. Two large shipping containers were filled with spares but due to the fact the business was coming to an end there was no fix for this outfit. I spent time on the island swimming at a local swimming hole or at the hotel pool, as for the three days of fishing, four hours was ok. 

Hopefully Evenrude have gotten their act together but I for one will never give them a chance. 

• Like 2

Just my observation, I spend a bit of time each year in the Kimberleys and have done that for the last say 15years. Yammys by far are the most popular, on both commercially and recreational boats. Maybe theres no ETEC dealers or others up that way.

The Yammys I've personally had dealings with are in a commercial operation, constantly in and out of gear, plus fishing creeks with big tidal changes hitting the more occasional rock than the boss is not keen about ? (they damage quite a few props each season) sucking up a fair share of mud and sand as well over the 7 months and only flushed only at the end of the season before storage, though maintenance is kept up.

They have preformed flawlessly in a bloody hard environment.

Funny you should say that  Jon, the only boat I've had dealings with that had Suzuki's on and that was in Sydney, again a Commercial boat had big twin motors and they have had problems with the gear boxes blowing up.

Maybe thats just a just coincidence.

As for media personalities, they will use a motor that they are sponsored with. Thats their job, plus Rods, reels, tackle etc.

As for Groote, I thought the boats that were used were also a sponsored boat and were not that practical.

And I could be wrong.

Anyway thats my observations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonD said:

like most etec owners, a good friend recently fishing out of JB had his 175 drop to limp home mode. 

Jon those are some nice horror stories....do they prove anything? Not really.

I could do a google search and easily find the same horror stories about blown gear boxes and powerheads for yamaha. Does that mean yamaha is a bad product? No.

Its just the nature of the corporate manufacturing machine and ALL outboard brands experience these issues.

RE your laughable comment above, the statistics are overwhelmingly against your statement. 95% of etec owners have had good experiences with their etecs and i for one hav never had any issues in 6 yrs. How many people are in this thread alone saying they are more than happy with their etec? 

Anyway i think weve exhausted this discussion especially if we turn a blind eye to the facts for the sake of proving a point that was grown in the jurassic period.

Edited by GoingFishing

13 hours ago, chevvyy said:

I just put 300 hrs in two year on a new 75 etec pushing a stacer outlaw 469 . Perfectly match package , I always run the motor hard and it has never given me a problem . Now it's off for its first service ?

If you are there when it’s serviced have a look at the condition of the gearbox oil ( compared to the new stuff) and the fine particles in it.  I would rather mine have fresher oil in it.

Guest Guest123456789
4 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I thought we already established earlier in this thread that Japanese and south Korean cars were the only cars worth buying?? ??

? 

how did you go with the snapper on the weekend Sam? That noisy etec of yours didn’t scare them all away did it??

27 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

?

how did you go with the snapper on the weekend Sam? That noisy etec of yours didn’t scare them all away did it??

I managed to boat 4 just legals. But only coz i was fishing with my motor OFF ?? 

Hit the target species so i was happy with that. Perhaps they would have all been 60cm and 70cm fish if i was running a yammie ??

Edited by GoingFishing

9 minutes ago, JonD said:

Yes the other manufactures simply can't compete ??https://www.hyundai.com.au/why-hyundai/brand-stories/awards

Good thing that your using Hyundai as an example. When i was growing up Hyundais were regarded as the worst possible car manufacturer, "shitboxes" we used to call them. Theyre on the cutting edge these days on the way to the top.

Seems as though they listened to feedback and made some improvements over the years?

Reminds me of another manufacturer with a similar story??

?

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

managed to boat 4 just legals. But only coz i was fishing with my motor OF

Use tuna oil instead of etec oil in the motor - you’ll attract more of something.

14 minutes ago, raging said:

Use tuna oil instead of etec oil in the motor - you’ll attract more of something.

Sorry...etec oil is already causing me enough financial hardship...that extra $20 bucks a year could be put to much better use. Perhaps a public education programme for people who use tuna oil in their outboards.

36 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Sorry...etec oil is already causing me enough financial hardship...that extra $20 bucks a year could be put to much better use. Perhaps a public education programme for people who use tuna oil in their outboards.

$20 per year, you must me clocking some big hours :)