E-Tec or 4 Stroke Motor

Rebel

Guys, 

Good to see a debate that has not degenerated so far. Let’s keep it that way! 

As for the original topic, I been on boats that have all them motors and the best one, was the one that gets you home safely! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Some of us have to work and make a contribution to society. We dont get to play and photograph birds all week/ year round.

The best bird photos I get are when I'm roofing or replacing gutters. I can't help you choose what days you work but I can choose mine, I left the rat race for a better life not a fat bank account. 

Back on track, we all have choices, for me without money to burn I have to make careful choices, hence the 4 stroke :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, raging said:

@jeffb5.8 has had issues. 

I would go a 4 stroke if I got a good trade in price and if it was at least the same horse power or bigger than my 115hp. My boat is rated to 130hp max but I must say the 115hp Etec when running well does power it very well with a top speed of 70km with 2 adults and 3 kids.

10 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Jon those are some nice horror stories....do they prove anything? Not really.

I could do a google search and easily find the same horror stories about blown gear boxes and powerheads for yamaha. Does that mean yamaha is a bad product? No.

Its just the nature of the corporate manufacturing machine and ALL outboard brands experience these issues.

RE your laughable comment above, the statistics are overwhelmingly against your statement. 95% of etec owners have had good experiences with their etecs and i for one hav never had any issues in 6 yrs. How many people are in this thread alone saying they are more than happy with their etec? 

Anyway i think weve exhausted this discussion especially if we turn a blind eye to the facts for the sake of proving a point that was grown in the jurassic period.

I wonder what the failure/ issues rate really is for Etecs compared to other makes? I don't think there is any empirical evidence.

Edited by kingfishbig

4 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I wonder what the failure/ issues rate really is foe Etecs compared to other makes? I don't think there is any empirical evidence.

There was a post in another (similar) thread where a Raider who is a Marine Rescue crew member commented on how few rescues involve ETECs, given the number of ETECs owned.

I only commented originally that I was very happy with my ETEC. I’m sure I’d be equally happy with a good 4 stroke. I chose an ETEC based on advice from then (long time) site sponser, Huey. That, and the fact that the new boat package with a 4 stroke was considerably more expensive than with the ETEC.

A 5 litre bottle of ETEC oil is less than the cost of 3 packs of smokes. I used to smoke 3 packs a day (way back when). I quit about 30 years ago. I figure I’m ahead in more ways than one! ?

• Like 2

Just a comment  but if my 90 yammie blew up and i was goin to spend my hard earned  i wouldnt buy an etec or a 4st  i would buy another 90 2st yammie  cause i want the reliability an performance i have now   this two horse race between etec lovers an 4st lovers is gettin a bit old hat an im sick of hearin bout it  no1  buy wot u can afford and buy to suit wot u r goin to do most  this has all been covered in this topic and others  it doesnt matter wot 15 biased outboard owners on this site say it boils down to your choice of wot will suit the best  i hope you are happy with your purchase which ever way you go  and may you never break down on the water...to the rest of the chidish biased one eyed commentors i hope you never break down on the water either...this guy wanted some advice not a massive debate  ...may your boating be a much more enjoyable time than this topic....rant done.....rick

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

If cost of purchase and cost of running come into the equation  i look at it like this...2000 more on purchase price equates to about 1600 ltrs of fuel if u buy cheaper motor  how long will it take u to use 1600 ltrs in a 60 hp...rick

Given that I usually use no more than 25 litres per trip, about 64 trips, more if I’m fishing inside the Bay. ? And I can explain  several purchases of fuel to the wife a lot easier than a one off $2k spend! ?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Just a comment  but if my 90 yammie blew up and i was goin to spend my hard earned  i wouldnt buy an etec or a 4st  i would buy another 90 2st yammie  cause i want the reliability an performance i have now   this two horse race between etec lovers an 4st lovers is gettin a bit old hat an im sick of hearin bout it  no1  buy wot u can afford and buy to suit wot u r goin to do most  this has all been covered in this topic and others  it doesnt matter wot 15 biased outboard owners on this site say it boils down to your choice of wot will suit the best  i hope you are happy with your purchase which ever way you go  and may you never break down on the water...to the rest of the chidish biased one eyed commentors i hope you never break down on the water either...this guy wanted some advice not a massive debate  ...may your boating be a much more enjoyable time than this topic....rant done.....rick

You must be talking about the 4 stke club then Rick.

If you reread all my comments ul notice iv never said Yamaha are bad outboards, in fact i explicity listed them as reliable good product....all iv maintained throughout this debate is that Etecs should be considered on their merits and shouldnt be struck off automatically simply because of old myths.

So i certainly am not looking at this with one eye or being biased as you suggest mate.

Also if your sick of the debate then no need to invite yourself in :) ......no one asked for the convo to be policed.

Edited by GoingFishing

25 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

wots rong wif wee hav a civil debate about sumfing?

• Haha 2

Im not pointing fingers im just sik or reading same shit bout pros n cons for both  the guy just wants to buy a boat not buy into a debate about whivh motor is better based on people wjo luv wot they own   i didnt recomend an old school 2st but thats wot i have and im vrry happy with it   im just sik of resding same arguments every time this comes up    there is no right  no wrong and neither is better unless it suits your needs....debates about wot car got brought up  wtf does that have to do with outboard selection   he needs to go try both then choose   i wish he bought a 2st merc to shut everyone up   that would be gold in my small opiniated world   done

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Im not pointing fingers im just sik or reading same shit bout pros n cons for both  the guy just wants to buy a boat not buy into a debate about whivh motor is better based on people wjo luv wot they own   i didnt recomend an old school 2st but thats wot i have and im vrry happy with it   im just sik of resding same arguments every time this comes up    there is no right  no wrong and neither is better unless it suits your needs....debates about wot car got brought up  wtf does that have to do with outboard selection   he needs to go try both then choose   i wish he bought a 2st merc to shut everyone up   that would be gold in my small opiniated world   done

Did you ever stop to think that whilst you may have read this "shit" many times before...for others this is all new information, especially the original poster who wants to hear the good the bad and ugly about the various outboards to make a buying decision? The world doesnt revolve around you and what you know, like or are sick of.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with having comprehensive discussions about these things and your attempts to police a convo that doesnt need policing is....well...unwelcome

Especially when your language seems to escalate,offend people/mix with 2 st yammie throwing in a third contender kind of thing.....??

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Im not pointing fingers im just sik or reading same shit bout pros n cons for both  the guy just wants to buy a boat not buy into a debate about whivh motor is better based on people wjo luv wot they own   i didnt recomend an old school 2st but thats wot i have and im vrry happy with it   im just sik of resding same arguments every time this comes up    there is no right  no wrong and neither is better unless it suits your needs....

If you are sick of reading “same shit pros and cons of both” then you should tell the original guy not to ask such a question, and ask to ban all these types of questions just for you. Not blame the responders.

There are lots of topics on here that don’t interest me. Guess what I do? I don’t read them.

I believe both engines have their places that’s why we are trying to discuss their positives and negatives. Everyone has their own view. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fab1 said:

This post  needs to be closed. 

Sorry folks. I have been busy getting my daughter's wedding sorted that took place on Sat and did not get to read all the posts as usual. 

PLEASE USE THE REPORT POST FUNCTION IN FUTURE - this will go immediately to mods and me so we know.

On any post you can use the "report post" and type in what the problem is. 

• Like 1