Kingies come out to play

Pickles

Yakkas were easy again today and again a perfect size. Squid a bit harder though, probably due wind chop. Water was 24.6 degrees at the heads and BIG Kingies came out to play in beautiful blue “fishy” water - so different to a few days ago when the water was grey.

Within 20 seconds of putting the Minkota down and pot locking, a strip bait on 2/0 hook for slimies was monstered and the first Kingie stripped 30m of 15lb line in about 7 seconds, turned for the bottom and then the inevitable bust off - smoked.

I upgraded to a 50 lb outfit on a small overhead with a livie bridled up and fed back in the burley trail and again - smoked. This time I had it on for about a minute and thought I was going to have a “metery” on board, alas again smoked on the bottom. I love Kingies - they fight hard and dirty and it’s uplifting when you get one onboard.

Peter put out a livie on a big overhead and ugly stick on mono. The stretch saved the day and he boated a 94 cm hoodlum.

Total Kingies for two days = 10, gotta love living in Sydney

2D3C3790-7F66-4B0D-A1A4-B4465C3B028F.jpeg

3B2937C6-D7F7-4360-BD94-06AC89F22577.jpeg

• Like 12

Great report & photos 👍 nothing better than getting amongst the bigger models.

up here on the C.Coast the water has gone from green to blue over The last couple of days with a bit of brown algae bloom or fish spawn off the rocks 

Edited by 61 crusher

Having caught my one and only Kingfish (courtesy of DerekD)...a small model, I'd love to do battle with one of those models. As you say, living in Sydney has its benefits. Interesting to see that the water temp in the ocean and the river where I fish are the same presently. Thanks for your post Pickles. 

Cheers, bn

Ha ha, Noooo, don’t do charters, but keen about sharing the passion of fishing with others and always willing to take blokes out and share the magnificence of Gods creation.  My only hiccup is, although I have a licence and drive I need someone to pull my 5 m tinny, but there’s always someone happy to tangle with Kingies, dolphin fish or Jewies, which I tend to target, who will pull the boat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pickles said:

Ha ha, Noooo, don’t do charters, but keen about sharing the passion of fishing with others and always willing to take blokes out and share the magnificence of Gods creation.  My only hiccup is, although I have a licence and drive I need someone to pull my 5 m tinny, but there’s always someone happy to tangle with Kingies, dolphin fish or Jewies, which I tend to target, who will pull the boat.

Only just seen this post mate, I have a 3.2m porta-bote! Bit of a pain to set up on ya own but. If you mean tow the boat I've got a tow bar on my pathfinder. I would be mad keen to help you out, I'll even bring lunch and beer for you haha 😂

Seen so many videos of dollys too far out of reach for me and my 5hp Suzi!