Jumbo tailor

JonD

With all the things going on lately from fires to con artist boat sales and now covid 19 I haven't had many opportunities to fish the beach. My sons Xmas beach outfit had yet to catch a fish untill we hit the beach at lunch time today. With relatively flat conditions and an almost low falling tide we almost didn't bother taking his rod but he was keen, so why not.

first cast he hooked into a good salmon which after a few jumps and headshakes soon flicked the 40g halco twisty. Second cast he hooked into what we assumed to be a good sized salmon, which after holding in a deep gutter close to the beach we realised this was a far better fish. He couldn't believe it when he eventually managed to get it onto the sand with some help from a wave. First fish landed on his new rod turned out to be a fat well conditioned tailor. Next couple of casts turned out two more before we lost the school which was moving north at a fair pace.

For someone who wasn't really bothered about beach fishing he's now a changed lad, amazing the difference owning his own gear that can belt a lure far enough to reach fish can make. Smallest fish was over 60cm and the biggest just shy of 74cm.

_JDP1670.JPG.00e88716301f193c4f0c384b638a6c7c.JPG

_JDP1679.JPG.cc966b9d683835270968eee86dcd5666.JPG

1501955117__JDP16911.JPG.dc80c7ee12cef3a400cdab7ed7c0724c.JPG

• Like 26

1 hour ago, maveric0_3 said:

great photos!!!

I assume your daughter was not present so you must be pretty handy on the camera yourself  :}

PS.....not bad fish as well

She's behind enemy lines in Victoria where they can't fish!!!!...you wait, now Ive got the boat trailer fixed up she'll be trying to sneak back across the border.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Cracking fish for your boy Jon and what a way to bless the new rod.

Beach fishing is so relaxing but i can never keep the sand out of my gear :(

It's so easy compared to the work evolved around a day in the boat. On the beach I simply carry a few luresin a bum bag and tuck the rod under the waist strap if I'm handling fish to bleed etc.