"Take This Side" Thursday 23.04.20 Barrenjoey Wide

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

After observing lockdown procedures from the start we were running very low on our fish stock so Maria and I decided to head out for a food gathering exercise at our favourite flathead grounds off Barrenjoey. Weather forecast looked great for a morning session on Thursday  23.04.20 with 9-10kts winds up to 9 am then pretty much dead calm on 0.6m seas. 

Earlier in the week I had to top up the landcruiser so I hitched the boat on the back and topped it up as part of the same trip - so boat was ready. Also, I had bait left over from the earlier Brown's mountain trip (salted pilchards and squid) and my usual stash of SP's so no extra bait trip required

We were at Parsley Bay ramp just on 6.15am, only one boat with two oldtimers infront of us - they were still prepping their boat when M and I had ours in the water and were parking the car. Three other boats turned up in no time - everyone was friendly but kept their social distance. 

Raced straight out and were on the 40m mark at around 7am. Rigged 2 hook paternoster rigs, with a berkley powerbait minnow 10cm on top hook, half pillie or squid on bottom hook, and a bottom bouncing sinker jig (search workshop forum - Bottom Bouncing) at the sinker.

image.png.541fb250bae36413e270b46b75ad51d8.png

image.png.b2d476fc04de983964e9120d7ee4675c.png

First two drifts on the mark produced juvenile blue spot, then I hit a solid 55cm bluespot model on the SP. Dropped the anchor and swung around for 20min - more juveniles. Upped anchor - drifted for M to land another 50+cm bluespot on the SP then juveniles again. Decided to head out to 50m grounds. 

By this time M did something very unusual (remember she usually out-fishes me and gets the oddball fish) - she wasn't happy with her side of the boat - said the line was drifting under the boat and wanted to swap sides. Being the gentleman - I agreed.

Anyway, 50m ground, her rod bends, solid hook up, bit off line peels of drag and then dead wait - and she brings up a decent octopus - there's the oddball. Hmmm. In the meantime I've landed a double hook up of two solid jackets - well glad they were in the boat but oh dear not jackets again.  Then M boats a jacket and I bring another two onboard in quick succession (one being a horse) .. we call it quits on the 50m grounds. No loss of gear and 5 jackets in the boat - no point in testing fate any further.

Score so far, M 1 flattie, 1 occy and 1 jacket, Z 1 flattie and 4 jackets.

So we decide to go back to the 40m mark and focus on long drifts - keeping to our "new sides of the boat" as M previously requested. At 40m grounds, we made many repeated drifts,  and bagged another 15 bluespot flatties between 45 and 59cm.  I also landed an occy. So final count for the day: M 2 flatties, 1 occy and 1 jacket, Z 15 flatties, 1 occy and 4 jackets. 

image.png.c5569fecbb8dd71c4103ea94da663186.png

Note: All the bigger flatties were hooked on either the SP or the bottom bouncing jig ! 

End result 5.25kg of clean fillets/seafood - so our food gathering exercise was a success.

Being the gentleman, I thanked Maria for the use of her side of the boat (bahahaha) and offered to cook dinner Friday night ... also great to get some back on the jackets !

image.png.74e6186f0849d92eefdc0280b728dff5.png

image.png.ab2881e08ec0b10164e2e71bb27686e8.png

Tight lines amigos.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 15

Great report and result Zoran and Maria. It's good to get out after so long. Love the rivalry between husband and wife which doesn't usually extend to fishing !

And yes, would have been good to get some back on those jackets. Pesky little buggers

14 hours ago, on the MARK said:

Mate great feed there definitely good for the table considering what fish markets want to charge for flathead’

2EAE6411-1C31-40FD-B7BD-0463CC9E97FD.jpeg

Think about the work invovled & the yield you get out of a whole fish & that's what your paying for!

But yes for a bread & butter fish if your not out trying to catch your own your missing out on something that is pretty abundant & fun to fish for.

Edited by kingie chaser

22 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report & photos, love how when you got back to the 40m line you changed tactics & drifted to counter the line going under the boat, that looks like a great feed, how did you prep the occy

Thanks... drifting and line direction - it's just one of those things you have to accept fishing - wind - waves - tides - a high sided boat - outboard leg in water - anyway eventually the boat settles into a somewhat steady direction - it's never bothered M in the past - but it was GREAT for me to try the other side of the boat hahaha! 

Occy - kept it simple - crushed garlic, olive oil, chopped parsley, white fine ground pepper, chilli flakes, himalayan pink salt - left it to marinate.  Some of the thicker bits can be chewy but I don't mind when they are fresh like this especially when they accompany a soft flesh fish like the jacket - adds texture.

22 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Sounds like a nice day out.

Good looking feed there to Zoran, squeeze of lemon...…………......nice :biggrinthumb:

Lemon - OF COURSE ! ... a side of string beans and greens and some air-fried chippies,  with a bottle of Serafino Shiraz .... Friday feast ! 

21 hours ago, on the MARK said:

Mate great feed there definitely good for the table considering what fish markets want to charge for flathead’

Couldn't agree more. I have not purchased fish for home consumption for way over a decade. If we don't catch it we don't eat fish at home. Added bonus - it adds a lot of focus to our fishing and makes you appreciate every fish you harvest !!!!

12 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report and pictures Zoran. Doubt that Maria will want to change sides again though after you clearly come out on top. See the price of Flathead fillets? Definitely worth catching your own. bn

Thanks Neil.  It was an unusual request from M - she knows drifts change - to her defence she didn't sleep the night before for some reason - so everything felt a bit off for her the whole day but she stuck it out to stumps. So can't complain AND now there is now an added incentive to head out together again - even the score so to speak!

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great report and result Zoran and Maria. It's good to get out after so long. Love the rivalry between husband and wife which doesn't usually extend to fishing !

And yes, would have been good to get some back on those jackets. Pesky little buggers

Thanks Sam .... great to get out, obey all the rules and have a great day. Yes the rivalry hahaha - it's all in good fun - I have at least two of everything - identical sets of gear - so there is no unfair advantage just skill on the day (lets say LUCK ON THE DAY!)

BUT, I do have to say that rivalry just covers the fishing - I'm still the solo captain, crew, driver, parker, anchorer, navigator ... in addition to my fishing duties !  

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and photos.

Thanks Rebel !

7 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome day out and a mouthwatering ending!

Thanks Mate .... yes was an awesome day - great to breathe some fresh salt air ! 

image.png.66b6777394081d5bd251886f6d497b78.png

Cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

good to see some bigger blue spots about. You will have a few feeds from that lot, will keep you going for a while.

Thanks Yowie .... yup have provisioned good tucker for a while - so now we a free to experiment with other styles of fishing and target species. No pressure to bring a feed home !

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

$50 a kilo at the Nelson Bay co-op at the moment.

Hmmmm ... KC gave an insight into why .... but I prefer to catch my own just like you I'm sure

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

Very entertaining post!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. You have to keep looking for the positives - the alternative is rather depressing !

Cheers Z

10 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Awesome haul there Zoran and Maria!!

It’s pretty hard to find a smile at the moment. So it’s good to see your day was fruitful. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Gotta stay positive and within the rules ... makes it easier when you just get along as well !

Cheers Z

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Some of the thicker bits can be chewy but I don't mind when they are fresh like this especially when they accompany a soft flesh fish like the jacket - adds texture.

I have heard from a good friend ( but never tried) that boiling the octopus with a touch of vinegar in the water before placing on the bbq helps with the bigger pieces staying nice and soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I have heard from a good friend ( but never tried) that boiling the octopus with a touch of vinegar in the water before placing on the bbq helps with the bigger pieces staying nice and soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside.

Yes boiling first is definitely effective. Also freezing tenderises octopus.