sydney offshore Flatties

Pickles

Decided to give Kingies a miss as they have been somewhat elusive for the last few trips. About time for some blue spot Flatties - nothing tastes better than sand flathead.

There were several whales heading south, pods of dolphins and even saw a few fairy penguins. The water was 18 degrees and getting warmer daily. The dolphin fish cant be far away as there several small “schools” (20 or so fish) of mahi mahi about 5 cm long.

1kg of chicken thighs for bait and then first stop to get some fresh yellowtail to strip up - no 1 bait for Flatties this time of year (next to chicken)

1/2 hour from top of the tide, headed wide to 70 m,  but zero result after over an hour and 4 drifts, so came in to “old faithful” 30 m mark and action was hot, every drift produced 3 or 4 fish. Chicken out fished the fresh yellowtail 3:1 and no interest in pilchards at all.

The wind blew up about midday, so a slow careful trip back. The ramp was very busy, with a lineup to get boats in. As a result decided to give Sunday and Monday a miss as weather is forecast to be very pleasant so harbour will no doubt be usual “long weekend mayhem” And “ramp rage”- I can certainly do without that.

Boated over 40 blue spots, but only kept those between 38-48, with nothing over 48 boated - bycatch was  pike and leatherjacket.

Rig - 20lb mono (not Fluor) paternoster rig with 2 2/0 BKK “white” circle hooks on a 3-5kg rod (Arroz) and 4000 Sedona reel.

47693853-CB29-4E60-8646-40703E666637.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 8

Good report Bob managed a few myself Friday 2/10/20 at my new secret spot off south head lol only kept 2 1 tiger 1 blue spot both in the 40 odd cm range plenty undersized went back ( around 40 cm is my keep limit if you have to measure its to small) agree fresh yakka baits are the gun but the humble pillie even from the servo is still my goto  Having said that Im now putting more importance on bait fishing.

• Like 1

You’re on the money Bill. When chasing Kingies, I always spend the time getting bait first, even if it takes 2-3 hours getting squid, slimies, garfish or Yakkas, it makes all the difference. I remember John Chapman, a gifted and godly evangelist once saying “Unless a man has a sharp axe, he has no business chopping down trees”- good bait is the same if we’re serious about catching fish.

• Like 3

Hi all I always take chicken for bait normally covered in garlic or parmesan cheese also a good bait for bream and snapper.as for the price it's cheaper than Phillies and about a third of good prawns even cheaper when you take 1 breast from the dinner menu

23 hours ago, Pickles said:

You’re on the money Bill. When chasing Kingies, I always spend the time getting bait first, even if it takes 2-3 hours getting squid, slimies, garfish or Yakkas, it makes all the difference. I remember John Chapman, a gifted and godly evangelist once saying “Unless a man has a sharp axe, he has no business chopping down trees”- good bait is the same if we’re serious about catching fish.

Spectacular catch!

what’s the secret to actually finding them? I’ve fished spots that are right on the drop off with a mate. One day the spot can produce a fish a cast, and the next nothing. 
problem is that we aren’t always sure where to look when it’s not productive