Broughton island snapper

gundi4

Hi all,

Delayed post from Sunday out of Port Stephens. Having not fished up there for a while due to lack of time and opportunity I thought I would give Sunday a go given a good weather window. To be honest I wasn’t expecting much in terms of action as there hasn’t been much reported and if resident guru scratchie says they are few and far between then that’s gospel. 

Anyway you can’t catch them on the couch as they say so I thought I would get out and catching fish would be a bonus. A mate has also been bugging me to take him out for a while now so I thought here’s your chance and he didn’t disappoint. He woke up at 1am because he couldn’t sleep with the anticipation of catching a monster so he stayed up and met me at the boat at 3:30am buzzing ready to go. I love the positive energy.

Launched the boat and headed up to Broughton and got the spot just after first light and started throwing plastics. At this time I realised I forgot the net so I said because of that we would hook up to a big one. Murphy’s law.

Anyway we caught one legal panny and a few undersize snapps and about a million pike. So I thought if I get a smaller pike I will put him on as a livie. Lo and behold I get a lollipop pike so I put him on a live bait rod and throw him on a float out the back. 

By this time it was around 7am and the sun is getting up and we had done a few drifts for nothing special. So I called a change of scenery. Lines in. As I told my mate to wind in the livie it screams off. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.The best sound in the world. 

We are on. 50lb gear and it’s pulling drag like a champ. I called it for a shark because 15 mins earlier we had seen something swirling and harassing bait which I thought was a shark. Anyway my mate plays is out and it gets close to the boat and we see a flash of silver and pink. Things go quiet and there’s no more yahooing as we realise we have a good snapper at the boat with no net. The original plan was for me to grab the line and him to grab the tail wrist and lift together but he has other ideas and bear hugs the thing and lifts it straight in 🤣🤣🤣

High fives and shouting all around as he lands his pb snapper at 78cm and thick as on his first outing chasing snapper out of Port Stephens. Not a bad first time on the boat.

BF253EF2-3399-4D56-BAEE-FB00DFFE35D0.jpeg

Edited by gundi4
  • Like 21

Great story well told.

My uncle caught the biggest snapper of his life on a live pike many years ago in close to Lion Island at the mouth of the Hawkesbury. I recall it went 20lb. I've heard pike fillets are also good snapper bait - haven't tried it myself.

Cheers

Fil

• Like 1